Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else love packing wheel bearings or am I alone in enjoying this task?

It's funny, I always dread the start of the project but as soon as I smell that grease, get my hands oily, really get into the project I find it very therapeutic. I don't know if it is the level of comfort received from knowing those little bearings look good, are still smooth and have fresh grease on them or if the grease scent is engineered (such as new car smells) to give the grease monkey a euphoric high.

Just completed two jet ski trailers and a utility trailer and am just pleased. Of course everything went smoothly which always helps.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Does anyone else love packing wheel bearings or am I alone in enjoying this task?

It's funny, I always dread the start of the project but as soon as I smell that grease, get my hands oily, really get into the project I find it very therapeutic. I don't know if it is the level of comfort received from knowing those little bearings look good, are still smooth and have fresh grease on them or if the grease scent is engineered (such as new car smells) to give the grease monkey a euphoric high.

Just completed two jet ski trailers and a utility trailer and am just pleased. Of course everything went smoothly which always helps.
Come on down. It's time for my bi-annual, trailer axle, bearing maintenance and it's not one of my favorite tasks. It's a tandem so double your pleasure, double your fun. You're welcome to take your time and thoroughly enjoy yourself! :hi:

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
Come on down. It's time for my bi-annual, trailer axle, bearing maintenance and it's not one of my favorite tasks. It's a tandem so double your pleasure, double your fun. You're welcome to take your time and thoroughly enjoy yourself! :hi:
I used to have that issue with my old trailer but the new one has a Dexter axle with the E-Z Lube system so I no longer tear them apart. Just jack up the trailer and spin the tire while you pump in new grease until all the old grease disappears and only new grease is visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=58&v=XT0RKDGgDm8

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
I used to have that issue with my old trailer but the new one has a Dexter axle with the E-Z Lube system so I no longer tear them apart. Just jack up the trailer and spin the tire while you pump in new grease until all the old grease disappears and only new grease is visible.

I had the E-Z lube system on my last snowmobile trailer and it worked well for keeping the hub bearings dry and well lubricated. That being said there is some value to removing the wheels and pulling the drums and hubs. It gives me a chance to clean, inspect and adjust the trailer brakes and bearing preload while I'm at it.

Years ago while doing some maintenance on my Hudson flatbed axles I found a couple of bearings that were discolored and scored. Those may have eventually failed so putting things in perspective there's value to a good visual inspection.

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
I had the E-Z lube system on my last snowmobile trailer and it worked well for keeping the hub bearings dry and well lubricated. That being said there is some value to removing the wheels and pulling the drums and hubs. It gives me a chance to clean, inspect and adjust the trailer brakes and bearing preload while I'm at it.

Years ago while doing some maintenance on my Hudson flatbed axles I found a couple of bearings that were discolored and scored. Those may have eventually failed so putting things in perspective there's value to a good visual inspection.
I agree 100%. You should still periodically inspect the bearings and races. My trailer is just a small 5x10 landscape trailer that doesn't see many miles. When I first got it I wrongly assumed that the grease fittings on the axles were like the "Bearing Buddies" I had on my old snowmobile trailer. It wasn't until I ran across some E-Z Lube YouTube videos explaining the system that I realized I had something completely different and something that was actually useful in keeping both bearings greased.

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
BTW... does anyone use one of these gizmos for greasing bearings and if so, do they really work as good as hand packing? I've seen plastic ones as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
BTW... does anyone use one of these gizmos for greasing bearings and if so, do they really work as good as hand packing? I've seen plastic ones as well.

I have one of those bearing packers and it is older than I am. Does a great job at getting the bearing full of grease, unlike using latex gloves and slathering it on the bearing by hand.

I am self employed for 15 years and do dirtwork, so a lot of our repairs are in the field. I do good to keep rags and hand cleaner in each vehicle. A friend/business partner has taught me to keep a box of latex gloves in each vehicle, they are a lifesaver when a breakdown occurs.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Slathering it IN the bearing by hand. Did hundreds of them in the service. Never really trusted the two funnel gizmo, and I have yet to find latex gloves that won't shred when I try and ease my bear paws into them.

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts
I have this style, and it does work very well. Fill it with grease, place the bearing in, and put it on the floor and stand on it, then remove bearing when you see the grease come up through the race.

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts

I made something that works on the same principle many moons ago. Made it out of 2 pcs of aluminum.
They work very well, pump the grease in and it flows evenly out of the bearing.

get with the times, packing bearings by hand is like reading by lamps burning whale oil!!:laugh:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I made something that works on the same principle many moons ago. Made it out of 2 pcs of aluminum.
They work very well, pump the grease in and it flows evenly out of the bearing.

get with the times, packing bearings by hand is like reading by lamps burning whale oil!!:laugh:
What's wrong with whale oil? :unknown: :lolol:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

My bass boat trailer has the same set up. In 24 years i only replaced the bearings once. And we used to do 1000 mile trips every year to NH.
I do the same thing. Jack up wheel, scrape out excess grease pushed to outside with small screwdriver, pump in new while turning.

·
Registered
747 Posts

I have one, used it a bunch of times. Now I just do it by hand as I find it wastes a lot of grease and you sit there forever pumping the handle on the grease gun. I find if have all 8 bearings clean and ready to go on the bench laying on some clean towel I can whip thru them in under 10min. Once I'm done I wipe the excess grease on the spindles, strip off the latex gloves and put on a new set. I wear the 8mm Gorilla gloves. I can usually reuse them one or twice.

One shop I was at had one next to the shop air powered grease gun. The top on it wasn't screwed on you just held it down with your hand. I liked that setup as it was really quick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts