Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a small horse farm, and we have to truck our manure away. There is a decent sized creek that runs through the property, and the only way to store the manure would be to build an expensive containment shed. So, we had decided to put the money into a dump truck or trailer, rather than a shed. The state approved us taking it up to my dad's place, which has no creeks or streams nearby. The manure is given away twice a year for gardens, so only so much is accrued.
We had a dump truck, but dad decided that he'd rather have a dump trailer. I won't go into the reasons why, because it has no bearing on the question. I will say that we sold the dump truck, and have purchased a new, 16' Kaufman gooseneck dump trailer. I am driving down to NC on Tuesday to pick it up, and before we put it into service, we want to do more to the inside of the bed than the standard enamel paint that is on it. I will spray the underside and frame with Fluidfilm, but I'm thinking of an etching primer and marine paint on the interior. Anybody got experience with a dump trailer and manure, and have a good plan that has worked?
On the dump truck, we had painted the inside and outside of the bed with POR-15. It help up well to the manure, but it faded and flaked- we've learned some lessons since doing that job. I'm not opposed to POR-15 again, but would rather use something else that is easier to work, and probably less expensive, but effective. I'm thinking that marine paint will resist the acids pretty well, but that's just a guess. Any experienced input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Fiberglass?

What about rolling on a coat or two of epoxy resin? That's a bit more expensive than the regular resin but has some flex in it. I don't think you would add too much weight if it's just the resin and no cloth to saturate.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
hodge-when i was gonna paint this here dump trailer that the boy made. i went to Sherwin Williams for the paint. they i think-have great paint--but the paint he thought i should use--cost a little over a $100 a gal. course i wanted the top side to be red-and all the frame to be black.

so other than that-i can't help ya out:dunno:sorry!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have you considered a spray on bed liner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as bhill. I have a big tex 10sr dump trailer and the paint in the bed was the 1st to start peeling. I was considering checking into the spray in bedliners like they put in trucks but I am sure it would not be cheap and have not talked to anyone that has done it so I am unsure as to how it would hold up

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you considered a spray on bed liner?

The expense would be high, I'm sure. But, not as high as having to rebuild it after a couple of years. But, bedliner coating is designed to keep the load from shifting and sliding. There would be too much texture for a dump bed to work effectively. Ideally, a commercial, heat applied, spray in liner that is glossy and slick would be the ticket. I don't think there is any such thing, though. There are panels you can buy to line the bed, and it looks like the same material that cutting boards are made out of. It is pricey, too.

I'm thinking of an industrial paint that is designed to withstand the chemicals in manure. I'm imagining a marine paint, purposefully designed to resist a harsh environment.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Por 15. Paint won't cut it. Used epoxy on underside of mowing deck and was shot in a couple cuttings. Easy isn't always good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I'm doing spray-in bed liner in mine next month. The guy that's going to do it said he can leave the rubber bits out of the mix so it won't have the pebble textured surface. It won't be as slippery as just paint would be but I figured when I'm done for the day I can just raise the bed up and hose it out to clean things up.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Did I have dumb luck,,, or what?
I bought my trailer in 1999,, I have hauled at least 130 loads of manure/chipped wood,, etc,,,
I never did anything to the trailer paint,, except abuse it,,
The trailer has never spent a night under cover, it has always been stored outside.

Here is a pic of the trailer two years ago,, it still looks the same,,,

How long do you expect the trailer to be perfect looking? :dunno:

I am happy with how my trailer looks after 18 years,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I, too, am of the mindset that a spray-in liner would be high on the list of possible solutions. Call whomever is local to you as an installer and ask what they have for options. The installers know how to tweak the product for different applications.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Has anyone considered UHMW for the beds?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have a spray in Bed liner in my truck. Slippery it isn't. But it sure is durable. If there was a way to make it a little bit more slippery I think t would be the way to go.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did I have dumb luck,,, or what?
I bought my trailer in 1999,, I have hauled at least 130 loads of manure/chipped wood,, etc,,,
I never did anything to the trailer paint,, except abuse it,,
The trailer has never spent a night under cover, it has always been stored outside.

Here is a pic of the trailer two years ago,, it still looks the same,,,

How long do you expect the trailer to be perfect looking? :dunno:

I am happy with how my trailer looks after 18 years,,, :flag_of_truce:
My circumstance is different. Horse manure will be dumped in the trailer on a daily basis, and it will be emptied about once every two weeks. So, manure will be sitting in it for periods of time.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I would go with the spray on bedliner. They can change the texture of it, and it may not be that expensive. An 8' pickup bed here is around $500, but with a trailer there's a lot less masking off that has to be done. Even if it's a little bigger than a pickup bed the ease of prep work should help keep the cost down.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I would go with the spray on bedliner. They can change the texture of it, and it may not be that expensive. An 8' pickup bed here is around $500, but with a trailer there's a lot less masking off that has to be done. Even if it's a little bigger than a pickup bed the ease of prep work should help keep the cost down.
Very true. The scuffing of the paint in a truck bed takes quite a while because of all the bends and crevices and such. A completely flat surface will go a bit quicker because it can be done with power tools.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You might take a look at Interlux micron anti-fouling paint. It's pretty slick and should keep stuff from growing on the trailer. Worked great on our boat we kept in the water.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts