Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions.

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a spray gun to paint some implements along with over things for our tractors.

First question will this compressor be enough for a gun.

Second what guns do you guys recommend. I’m just looking for something that will give me acceptable results. I doubt I’ll be able to get any paint laid down without orange peal anyway.

Most likely will be shooting rustoleom farm and implement primer and color and John Deere paint.

Are hardeners recommended?

Thanks.

Keith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I use a 2HP belt drive compressor, but, I have an extra 30 gallon tank,,,
The extra tank is mostly to cool the air,,

I use the $9 HF gun,,, I am happy with the results,,

To me, the most important aspect of paint is the right reducer, and accurately mixing.

More of my $9 HF gun paint work,,,,

·
Registered
365 Posts
Keith,

I second the 9.00 Harbor freight paint gun. I painted this with one and used IH red paint from tractor supply. I was not looking for parade quality since this is a worker tractor, hover I am happy with the outcome. My air compressor has a 20 gallon tank and is 2 HP.

Attachments

·
Old Pa-pa
11,761 Posts
Don't hold back the horses on a quality dryer and try to keep the hose from the dryer to your spray gun
as short as possible.

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Make sure you have at least one or even two water traps on the sprayer line. HF sells those as well if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The John Deere rattle can green spray paint from the dealer lays down nice and flat and dries quickly. I’ve also shot it out of a gun several times and prefer the rattle can cause of the easy cleanup versus the spraygun. Harbor freight spraygun works well for a while and then just toss it by another one. I use them for prime/sealer and use my SATA’s for base/clear.

·
Premium Member
5,553 Posts
This what I use for a gun or at least it looks like what I would replace mine with. I was a teenager when I bought the one I have that looks like this of the same brand and it still works good. I don’t know what it cost today but I doubt I spent more than $50 back then but it is brass under where the chrome has worn. I don’t know what the new ones are.

I have a 25 foot hose that I use for the spray gun. It depends how big what I am painting is but are usually have that one plugged into another hose. I never have much of a problem with the length of it but I always put the regulator before the 25 foot hose so that the one supplying it are at full pressure. I have a mechanical water trap where I plug it into the shed and then a cheap throwaway filter trap by the gun? From what I see on that compressor or you will have to let it catch back up and keep an eye your pressure gauge but for things like the quick hitch 20 gallons is a lot of capacity. Something like a large tractor you’ll get bored waiting for it to catch back up and if the compressor is working hard it’s going to create hotter air and more water.

Unless I was doing something larger than that quick hitch or more parts at the same time I would stick with the cans.

By the way, What did you end up doing with the quick hitch?
JGA® Conventional Suction Feed Spray Guns

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Hermanator-that gun looks just like mine i bought back around 88-or 89 at sears. i paid $72 for it then. i still have it--it needs a rebuild kit for it-have some of the parts for the rebuild-but they sent me one wrong part-just never got around to getting the right one for it.

several yrs ago i bought a set of three of them low volume guns from nappa. used them one time to paint my dad's old set of pull behind, trip plows on steel wheels. and that has been it-used rattle cans for the small stuff since.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You want the cfm as high as possible and 6cfm with a 1.5 HP motor is about the max you will squeeze out of a 110v 20amp outlet. Anything more requires stepping up to 220v. I have a 25g craftsman professional series that is a 5.1cfm and although it does ok it's not ideal for larger projects or high volume air tools. I bought it as a returned item at the local sears store 20 years ago because a roofing company discovered it couldn't keep up. It's beyond a $600 compressor but I paid $250 for it because it was used. Its worked flawlessly but its limited for sustained high volume air tools.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wish my C160 looked that good.

Thank you for the compliment on my C-160. Below is a picture of my Dad’s C-160. He repainted the hood and the seat pan with a rattle can. The rest of the tractor has the original paint. I believe he used Rustoleum Regal Red. When I paint, I try and pick a day where the humidity level is around 50% and the temperature is 75 or above. I run into issues if it is too humid. Other members can probably explain this better than I, and maybe even there is a workaround that I am not aware of.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This what I use for a gun or at least it looks like what I would replace mine with. I was a teenager when I bought the one I have that looks like this of the same brand and it still works good. I don’t know what it cost today but I doubt I spent more than $50 back then but it is brass under where the chrome has worn. I don’t know what the new ones are.

I have a 25 foot hose that I use for the spray gun. It depends how big what I am painting is but are usually have that one plugged into another hose. I never have much of a problem with the length of it but I always put the regulator before the 25 foot hose so that the one supplying it are at full pressure. I have a mechanical water trap where I plug it into the shed and then a cheap throwaway filter trap by the gun? From what I see on that compressor or you will have to let it catch back up and keep an eye your pressure gauge but for things like the quick hitch 20 gallons is a lot of capacity. Something like a large tractor you’ll get bored waiting for it to catch back up and if the compressor is working hard it’s going to create hotter air and more water.

Unless I was doing something larger than that quick hitch or more parts at the same time I would stick with the cans.

By the way, What did you end up doing with the quick hitch?
JGAÂ Conventional Suction Feed Spray Guns
As of right now I’m still just rattle canning it. It’s working ok. Paint is sticking a bit better. The only thing is for something with any size the rattle cans can get a bit expensive after a while.

And learning to paint is something that’s been on my to do list for a long time.

That and welding.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I use a Wagner power painter for equipment painting. It does a fine job. The power painter is easier to clean up than my air sprayer and I can buy parts at my local ACE Hardware.

For automotive painting (which I apparently I am incapable of) I bought a Devilbiss sprayer years ago. I don't blame the air sprayer, but so far I have a 100% failure rate on automotive painting. Orange peel, runs, on and on..... I no longer even attempt it.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I use the HF cheap guns. Your compressor will work ok. If you do a lot of painting you may have to wait for it once in a while. Not long enough that it's worth getting a bigger one IMHO. I used a similar one when I first started.

I use a primer from the same manufacturer as the paint. JD paint is made by Valspar. The same goes for reducer and hardener. Do you have to? You might find something that works together, you might be hosed mixing different brands. I had some trouble.

It's not hard to get a nice paint job out of the HF HVLP guns. It takes a little practice and playing with the knobs to find what works for you. If you spray just up to the point you think it's going to run you'll be good. Go with repeated light coats in the same spraying session. Don't expect the gun to last forever. I usually toss it after 3 or 4 uses.

Your auto parts store will have plastic cups for mixing paint, they have ratios marked on the side. I use those and I also have big and small ratio sticks.

If you go with the HF gun buy a couple of the screw on moisture filter, screw them together and attach them right at the gun. HF also sells paint filters for cheap.

We did this with a HF gun. It is really JD green, the color is correct, it just seems off in the pic.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts