Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to open the box of Ken's Bolt on Hooks sitting next to the 1025, I know i have seen a number of folks who painted their hooks JD green. I was just wondering if there is a best practice for painting the hooks (paint durability) or if it's just understood that there will be constant maintenance (repainting)?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
104 Posts
Getting ready to open the box of Ken's Bolt on Hooks sitting next to the 1025, I know i have seen a number of folks who painted their hooks JD green. I was just wondering if there is a best practice for painting the hooks (paint durability) or if it's just understood that there will be constant maintenance (repainting)?

Thanks,
Mark
I just did mine. I sandblasted them first. I just bought a cheapo gravity feed sand blaster from sears for like 40$. Worked GREAT. Then coated with a rust inhibiting primer by rustoleum. I then applied the first coat of the JD ag and turf spraypaint. Waited 24 hours and touched them up again. I am no professional but so far so good!:good2:

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Painting won't change anything, it's simply a cosmetic choice that some people make. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I didn't do any prep...just painted them with Rustoleum JD Green paint. I don't use mine often, but they've been used and I haven't done any touch up yet. They probably could use a little, but now they kind of look like they've been on there the whole time with the bucket.

I wouldn't overthink it...just paint or don't paint.

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
I didn't do any prep...just painted them with Rustoleum JD Green paint. I don't use mine often, but they've been used and I haven't done any touch up yet. They probably could use a little, but now they kind of look like they've been on there the whole time with the bucket.

I wouldn't overthink it...just paint or don't paint.
Same here... however, I bought my hooks back before they were plated. That was over 4 years ago and like Zeke_in_SC said they look like they came with the bucket.

Had the hooks been plated back then I would not have painted them.

As mentioned above they are just hooks. If you use them as they were designed they will get scratched, gouged, scrapped, etc. It's just a grab hook.

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
I am in the “no paint” crowd, what other hardware or your tractor is painted anyway? The plating is superb, and will outlast the paint.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am in the “no paint” crowd, what other hardware or your tractor is painted anyway? The plating is superb, and will outlast the paint.
Sorry Ken. Went one season with the plating. Painted mine last weekend with the AG Green. They look much better now. Lol... :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
I made my Chain Hooks before I knew about these Ken makes up. They look just like Kens but I used 4 - Grade 8 5/16" bolts cause the Bucket Metal is thin where it is mounted. I also put a 3/16" plate on the back and bolted thru it for more strength. I like the added Clevis inside the bucket Ken did. I will add that to mine also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I painted mine and they look great but I know they will get chipped at some point but I have a little more paint and Lowes has a bunch so I say go for it.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,674 Posts
I'm not going to paint any of mine, mainly because I like the fact that I can find them quickly when it's a little darker outside if there is a contrast between the bucket and hooks. Oh, and the plating ain't bad...:laugh:

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Sorry Ken. Went one season with the plating. Painted mine last weekend with the AG Green. They look much better now. Lol... :laugh:

Did you paint your chain to match?:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
IMG_20180226_115944523.jpg

Count me in the "Au Natural" plated finish from Kenny.........

Painting the hooks......What's next, a fuzzy seat cover and with an afghan thrown across the back of the seat and a plaid bathroom mat protecting the platform rubber factory mat??:laugh:

I am all for keeping things looking very nice, but the hooks are going to be requiring touch up every time you hook a chain to them........

I like the contrast the plating provides on the look on the bucket. The hooks stand out like "Hey, here I am and USE ME" verses when they blend in and are the same color as the bucket, the hooks seem like they are in the "Hook Identity Protection Program"......so no one will notice them.

Bold and Proud hooks from Ken's......Hooks that scream "Go ahead and hook me with a chain or a strap, I am ready."

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
4 sets on 4 buckets.....all painted.....and what’s wrong with JD yellow chain??? Always know where it is:lol:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Did you paint your chain to match?:lol:
I powder coated a chain. What of it?:lol:

If you put your hooks on for show, paint 'em. If your going to use 'em, do you plan on painting them after every use?

I did the chain to see how it would work and it was funny. It was part of a bumper bender I made for work.

chain.jpg

All kidding aside, their your hooks, do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I will not fault anyone who wishes to paint their hooks but I would advise leaving the plating alone if they could.
In my employment we send tens of thousands of parts out for plating. Almost all our customers require the process done by certified facilities and we have to provide documentation that their specs were met.
One of our largest customers, who make natural gas distribution supplies requires us to check plating thickness ourselves and we have to provide certifications from our vendor and our readings as well for every shipment.
The conversion process when a part is plated is pretty fascinating. The plating extends the time before oxidation occurs significantly if it is done right.
The bulk of our internal rejections (parts needing reworked before the customer receives them) is from poor quality plating.
I think I remember Ken one time stating he was out of stock due to plating issues in the past.
I have not measured the plating thickness on my Bolt On Hooks, but I have seen enough plated components in my life (tens of millions) that I can tell they have a nice thick layer of plate.
I never painted mine and they still look mint after three years.

And by the way Ken, with older chains in the woods it is a great idea to paint them red. The chains starting to brown from rust just seem to disappear when you toss them down.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
I painted mine, and I use them, and no i don't paint them after each use.

just sayin'

:lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts