Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hi: while the X-475 is in the shop getting fixed. i wanted to clean and check my deck out. so today i picked up by the 2520 and carried down to my basement garage-where my pressure washer's are at. gave it a good cleaning with it. carried back up to the big garage-laid it out on a set of saw horses-and began by wire brushing the underside of the deck. if this thing makkes 5 yrs it's gonna be close. its still pitting badly.

here's a pic with it wiped down with thinner-ready to paint tomorrow-when i find upside deck off the x-475.jpg my paint gun boxes.:banghead:

now its been several yrs since i painted anything, what do i need to add to my JD yellow paint(gallon can) i seem to remember mixing something in a measuring plastic cup-and then pouring that into the cup for the paint gun. i have a set of them low pressure guns-when i find out where i put them.:dunno:
i can look on the paint can tomorrow-just figured u fellas could steer me in the right direction-ok. thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It was probably a hardener that you added. Good luck with it Jim! We need to see pics when you are done! Sorry, but you know the rules!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
:hi: while the X-475 is in the shop getting fixed. i wanted to clean and check my deck out. so today i picked up by the 2520 and carried down to my basement garage-where my pressure washer's are at. gave it a good cleaning with it. carried back up to the big garage-laid it out on a set of saw horses-and began by wire brushing the underside of the deck. if this thing makkes 5 yrs it's gonna be close. its still pitting badly.

here's a pic with it wiped down with thinner-ready to paint tomorrow-when i find View attachment 378026 my paint gun boxes.:banghead:

now its been several yrs since i painted anything, what do i need to add to my JD yellow paint(gallon can) i seem to remember mixing something in a measuring plastic cup-and then pouring that into the cup for the paint gun. i have a set of them low pressure guns-when i find out where i put them.:dunno:
i can look on the paint can tomorrow-just figured u fellas could steer me in the right direction-ok. thanks.
Sometimes you have to thin the paint out before it will spray. Some of the newer paints need a hardener or catalyst mixed in. Kind of like epoxy.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sometimes you have to thin the paint out before it will spray. Some of the newer paints need a hardener or catalyst mixed in. Kind of like epoxy.
i for the life of me-can't remember what i bought to mix in the paint.:unknown:

i have to find my paint guns first-or use a elcheapo paint brush thing:munch:

i do remember yrs back-when i used my Devilbiss paint gun-that i bought from Sear's-i added thinner-that i got from John Deere.
since that gun had been broken for yrs-i bought a set of them low pressure guns-paint cannister is on top.

isn't it crazy how a guy can forget things.:unknown::munch:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Spray paint

i for the life of me-can't remember what i bought to mix in the paint.:unknown:

i have to find my paint guns first-or use a elcheapo paint brush thing:munch:

i do remember yrs back-when i used my Devilbiss paint gun-that i bought from Sear's-i added thinner-that i got from John Deere.
since that gun had been broken for yrs-i bought a set of them low pressure guns-paint cannister is on top.

isn't crazy how a guy can forget things.:unknown::munch:
The directions for thinning are on the paint can. Get whatever it says to use as a thinner for spraying or as a catalyst or hardener. You'll need some of the correct thinner to clean your sprayer when you're finished.

Be sure to pay attention to the paint cure and second coat times in accordance with the instructions on the paint can. That'll make your job turn out better and it may save your sprayer from clogging up.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The JD yellow tends to be kind of thin. You should be able to get by with just hardener for painting.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The directions for thinning are on the paint can. Get whatever it says to use as a thinner for spraying or as a catalyst or hardener. You'll need some of the correct thinner to clean your sprayer when you're finished.

Be sure to pay attention to the paint cure and second coat times in accordance with the instructions on the paint can. That'll make your job turn out better and it may save your sprayer from clogging up.

Hopefully you don't have hard dry paint all over the instructions. Have never seen an open paint can without some on the side of it. lol

Another question. How old is this paint? Seeing you said that you haven't painted anything in years. Paint like most things doesn't last forever. Especially after the can is opened. Might be time for a new can. I'd hate to do all that work only to have a problem in the home stretch.

Also if your deck is really rusty and pitted I'd use a rust stopper first. Something like POR15 instead of primer. From what I remember it's not UV stable. So you need to top coat it with something anyway. This should stop the rust for the longest period of time.
Disregard the above if you were planning on doing this anyway. lol

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
Well BigJim, it's nice of you to go to so much trouble. Only thing I can come up with is rattle can paint. Or in your case...a brush. :laugh:
Good luck with that. :bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,481 Posts
Well BigJim, it's nice of you to go to so much trouble. Only thing I can come up with is rattle can paint. Or in your case...a brush. :laugh:
Good luck with that. :bigthumb:
Same here Levi. Jim are you just painting the underside?:unknown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts