Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris,

I'm getting closer to ordering a set of forks, can't wait! Anyway, wanted to find out if you offer extensions? Something like these.... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CI0BELcCMAw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytaVhVkvw_4&ei=6nPrVIW0FMbFggT90YKwDA&usg=AFQjCNHGbzw3ArjtgJvVcNxA3dqaYEv-dA Reason that I'm looking for extensions is so I can pickup my snowmobiles, move them around in the garage and/or put them in the trailer and take them out. They aren't heavy, about 500lbs with fuel so I would think that my 1026R with proper ballast should be fine moving them. If not, a bigger machine may be in the future anyway. The reason for the extensions is to provide full support for the length of the undercarriage on the sled and to have enough reach to pluck them from the enclosed trailer. If you don't offer them, any recommendations as to a decent quality pair?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Chris,

I'm getting closer to ordering a set of forks, can't wait! Anyway, wanted to find out if you offer extensions? Something like these.... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CI0BELcCMAw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytaVhVkvw_4&ei=6nPrVIW0FMbFggT90YKwDA&usg=AFQjCNHGbzw3ArjtgJvVcNxA3dqaYEv-dA Reason that I'm looking for extensions is so I can pickup my snowmobiles, move them around in the garage and/or put them in the trailer and take them out. They aren't heavy, about 500lbs with fuel so I would think that my 1026R with proper ballast should be fine moving them. If not, a bigger machine may be in the future anyway. The reason for the extensions is to provide full support for the length of the undercarriage on the sled and to have enough reach to pluck them from the enclosed trailer. If you don't offer them, any recommendations as to a decent quality pair?

Thanks!
Lol, great.
Thanks to your Youtube link i sat here for an hour watching forklift fails, russian road rage crashes, and some other crash and fail.:laugh:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remember the further out you go the more leverage the weight has. 500lbs out that far might relate to 750+ leveraged weight. For a subcompact I wouldn't recommend it.
Pretty much what was running through my mind as well. It's possible that I may not even be able to pickup a sled with the 1026 due to the length/leverage. A bigger machine may be in the near future so that would hopefully negate the lift capacity issue. My dealer has a little forklift with at least 84" extensions on it, however, it's a fork lift and even though it's small, it can probably pickup 5,000lbs without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, great.
Thanks to your Youtube link i sat here for an hour watching forklift fails, russian road rage crashes, and some other crash and fail.:laugh:
Dontcha love how that happens!? I've had multiple upon multiple browser tabs open before I realize that I've gown down a rabbit hole as things spiral out of control when researching/viewing/etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I made it out of youtube with only watching 2 extra videos (I think I deserve some kind of medal). I am hoping on doing the same thing with my forks when I finally pop for them. I plan on putting the sled on a pallet and trying to pick it up from the rear before making/buying extentions.

·
Registered
22,666 Posts
I would just figure out a way to lift the sleds from the side. If in the trailer, maybe drag them out with a strap to the point they are sticking out enough to grab them from the side?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made it out of youtube with only watching 2 extra videos (I think I deserve some kind of medal). I am hoping on doing the same thing with my forks when I finally pop for them. I plan on putting the sled on a pallet and trying to pick it up from the rear before making/buying extentions.
Will you settle for :bigthumb: instead of a medal? Hahahaha!

I'm thinking that the extensions will work the best (that's what my dealer uses to move them around and load/unload trailers). I would think you'd need a really big pallet to put the sled on, plus getting the sled on a pallet may be a shaky deal and then you'd have to get the pallet out from underneath once it's on the trailer, too much work in my mind. The nice thing about the extensions is you can slip them right underneath the tunnel footwells and underneath the forward chassis which provide for a really solid and stable lifting point. I'm curious to hear how the pallet method may work if you try it, so keep us posted. I may pickup some extensions and see how my 1026 handles them. If it can't pickup my sled and/or in a stable fashion, well, I'll just have to wait for a bigger machine to come into the picture :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Right I am just gonna use pallet to test and make sure I can lift it from the rear before I invest in extensions.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Right I am just gonna use pallet to test and make sure I can lift it from the rear before I invest in extensions.
Ah, gotcha, makes sense... I would think that your 2032R will easily handle a sled with extensions.

BTW, how do you like the Cyclone Rake XL with your 62D?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Cyclone Rake is awesome! I always used a lawn sweeper to do leaves/ grass clippings, but with the new house being on 2 acres and 90 ish trees it seems like I have to unload it every 15', Hence the CR. I used it fall of 2013 behind my Cub Cadet 147 with 48" deck because the woods deck on my Loboy is a rear discharge. Using it on the 2032R is amazing, but 40 years of advancement will do that. The 62D has so much more vaccum (lift I guess) that with the cyclone pulling on it, almost sucks the leaves from the neighbors yard across the street. Haha

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Chris,

Thanks!
Green Man,

Of all the companies to link to....Oy! Now I need a shower. Here is some interesting reading on them. There is more if you look a bit.

We got a set of extensions from Global Industrial for our fork truck. The rule of thumb with extensions is that you should never extend more than 50% longer than your forks. So, 36" forks would be limited to 54" extensions, for example. I don't recommend that kind of extension for use on a tractor, though. Those are lift-only extensions. They can become dislodged very easily, which is obviously extremely dangerous. They are fine on a forklift which runs around on a relatively flat floor all day long but not on a bouncy tractor.

You won't likely find extensions for 3" wide tines, though. Yet. We'll have some soon for the 24" tines, just waiting on some new equipment. Longer lengths will follow. That's the best I can offer for the time being.

However, consider if it would be possible to just use the forks as-is for your sled. If you can get the center of gravity on the forks, maybe lash it down securely to the fork frame for the move. I've moved some pretty obnoxious stuff with some creative use of ratchet straps.

Of course, all this depends on your tractor's ability to lift it as Newt pointed out :thumbup1gif:. It all depends on where your center of gravity will lie. There is a little bit more helpful information on this here Technical Information

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Green Man,

Of all the companies to link to....Oy! Now I need a shower. Here is some interesting reading on them. There is more if you look a bit.
After I grabbed that link, (was really just using it to illustrate what I was referecing, hahaha!) I was thinking to myself that I should have picked another as an example as I've read less than stellar thing about Titan as well.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

So using a 4" wide extension on a 3" wide tine would be a no no? Would there be issues with the 4" extension "wobboling" on the 3" fork tine because of the extra 1/2" per side space? How about if some metal was welded underneath to take up the gap so the extensions would fit tighter on the 3" tines? However, more metal = more weight = reduced lifting capacity :thumbsdown:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
After I grabbed that link, (was really just using it to illustrate what I was referecing, hahaha!) I was thinking to myself that I should have picked another as an example as I've read less than stellar thing about Titan as well.

So using a 4" wide extension on a 3" wide tine would be a no no? Would there be issues with the 4" extension "wobboling" on the 3" fork tine because of the extra 1/2" per side space? How about if some metal was welded underneath to take up the gap so the extensions would fit tighter on the 3" tines? However, more metal = more weight = reduced lifting capacity :thumbsdown:
Not so much. The big concern is when you hit a bump and the whole load jumps up and settles back down or if the load shifts. Those extensions are really good at finding a way to come down tilted. They can actually fall right off of the side of the fork, hanging over the edge. And on a narrower width tine, I expect this will be exacerbated. Granted, this is most likely to happen when there is no load on them, but you don't want the off chance of this happening with a sled on there.

On a tractor, you want extensions that are constrained to the fork in all directions. If you are determined, go to a steel house and get some 2 x 4 rectangular thin wall tubing. Get it cut it to the proper length, then you'll have to add some features to fasten it around the heel of the fork so it can't pull off. A local fabrication shop should be able to help with this for those who are the indoor type.:laugh:

Make sense? If not, don't hesitate to keep asking. It's important to get this right. :munch:

·
Registered
223 Posts

I put a strap on the underside of my 4" C channel, about 8" back from the tip of the fork, 42" forks. I also put a 6" metal pc. On the inside, both sides of extension to hold the extension centered on fork . It's not real tight side to side so the fork slides on easily.Works great. Don't slide side to side and it can't bounce off fork with strap on underside, I raised the strap up slightly in C channel I can't get a pic. As the extensions are under a 7' snow drift

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put a strap on the underside of my 4" C channel, about 8" back from the tip of the fork, 42" forks. I also put a 6" metal pc. On the inside, both sides of extension to hold the extension centered on fork . It's not real tight side to side so the fork slides on easily.Works great. Don't slide side to side and it can't bounce off fork with strap on underside, I raised the strap up slightly in C channel I can't get a pic. As the extensions are under a 7' snow drift
Pictures would be great once you can unbury them! :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 23 Posts