Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some opinions on pallet forks for my bucket. I've seen some of the clamp on versions and I'm real close to purchase, but wondering if anyone has some experience with the clamp on versions.

I wouldn't use them enough to make pulling my bucket off work while (if I didn't get clamp ons).

I think the smaller form factor would also help keep them out of the way when they are not in use.

I did look around and saw this thread http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/10688-pallet-forks-1026r.html

Which has some opinions advising against.

Thanks for any input.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Welcome to GTT horseman. Is "West", indicated in your location in the US?
I have no experience to give an informed answer to your question but I will say our forks are on the tractor more than the bucket.
What tractor do ya have?

Reactions: horseman

·
Registered
324 Posts
There are a couple of things to consider as I see it.
1. how heavy will the loads be that you wish to lift. Forks out in front of the bucket can create a safety, tipping hazard especially if you are lifting very high. A heavy load on out in front of the bucket could cause undo stress on the bucket and possibly bend it out of shape.

2. The time it takes to install the forks onto the front of the bucket would be more than dropping the bucket and putting the forks on assuming you have a loader with a quickattach mounted bucket. I have a dirt bucket and a grapple and bucket I never go anywhere without both buckets along and sometimes will switch buckets multiple times on the same day and it takes about 2 - 3 minutes to do it

Just my opinion, good luck sorting out what will work best for you.

Dave B.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
2. The time it takes to install the forks onto the front of the bucket would be more than dropping the bucket and putting the forks on assuming you have a loader with a quickattach mounted bucket. I have a dirt bucket and a grapple and bucket I never go anywhere without both buckets along and sometimes will switch buckets multiple times on the same day and it takes about 2 - 3 minutes to do it
This is exactly what I was going to say.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
A big disadvantage of bucket forks is that they move the load so far out in front of the pivot point. That reduces the lifting capacity exponentially, as the load has much more leverage on the tractor.

It also makes the forks more difficult to see since he bucket is in the way. Personally, I wouldn't bother with them. Depending on what tractor you're using, they can also be a great way to bend/ damage your bucket. I would buy a dedicated set, you'll probably be shocked at how much you use them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There are a couple of things to consider as I see it.
1. how heavy will the loads be that you wish to lift. Forks out in front of the bucket can create a safety, tipping hazard especially if you are lifting very high. A heavy load on out in front of the bucket could cause undo stress on the bucket and possibly bend it out of shape.

Just my opinion, good luck sorting out what will work best for you.

Dave B.
I agree!! :bigthumb:

Horseman, do yourself a favor and just get a full setup.. I think you would find you will use them more than you think.. Mine are on my loader 75% or more of the time vs the bucket.. Also, get a couple pallets from somewhere to keep on hand to move things around.. Finally, make sure you have some ballast on the rear.. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used clamp on pallet forks for a number of years, mostly for hauling brush and a few other light items, for that they were OK, sort of. The problems with clamp on forks are they are very heavy (hard on the back lifting them onto the bucket), they go out of alignment no matter how hard you tighten them down and you have to keep them out near the sides of the bucket for strength. What made me switch to Artillian forks is the fact that I dropped one of the forks while putting it on the bucket, and it almost hit my foot, which would have been awfully painful. Now I can easily switch between bucket and forks in a minute or two and do it safely. Also I can lift materials that would've been impossible with the clamp on's.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Get the bucket forks. The clamp on move and it takes longer to install then removing your bucket and putting on the new forks. Beside with bucket forks it easy to slide the fork to the with you need.

·
Registered
153 Posts
dedicated forks much better! Drop the bucket, install forks and go to work. You Likely won't have to change it out much,as the forks will still be on from the last time you used the tractor.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I used clamp on pallet forks for a number of years, mostly for hauling brush and a few other light items, for that they were OK, sort of. The problems with clamp on forks are they are very heavy (hard on the back lifting them onto the bucket), they go out of alignment no matter how hard you tighten them down and you have to keep them out near the sides of the bucket for strength. What made me switch to Artillian forks is the fact that I dropped one of the forks while putting it on the bucket, and it almost hit my foot, which would have been awfully painful. Now I can easily switch between bucket and forks in a minute or two and do it safely. Also I can lift materials that would've been impossible with the clamp on's.
I too have the clamp-on forks for a few years now. 50# each, so 100# hanging out there from the edge of the bucket. They're fine but it does reduce your overall load capacity and the possibility of bending the bucket was something I hadn't thought of till I read it here. One problem I have had is when dumping on an existing burn pile the length of the forks increase the needed height to dump the load. Not to bad on flat ground but on my hill it's a little concerning.

If I had it to do all over I'd get the full Artillian setup, period. :greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
I too have the clamp-on forks for a few years now. 50# each, so 100# hanging out there from the edge of the bucket. They're find but it does reduce your overall load capacity and the possibility of bending the bucket was something I hadn't thought of till I read it here. One problem I have had is when dumping on an existing burn pile the length of the forks increase the needed height to dump the load. Not to bad on flat ground but on my hill it's a little concerning.

If I had it to do all over I'd get the full Artillian setup, period. :greentractorride:
Makes sense, thanks.:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: horseman

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd go for dedicated forks. I was debating modding my orange forks to jdqa, but then decided to just buy new. Considered artillian, but lack of email response pushed me to frontier. Perhaps heavier, but in the end, better for my application. In the end, do it right the first time--- buy dedicated forks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to GTT horseman. Is "West", indicated in your location in the US?
I have no experience to give an informed answer to your question but I will say our forks are on the tractor more than the bucket.
What tractor do ya have?
West is Colorado.

The machine I'm thinking of putting them on is an old JD 401C
my401C.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice.

My grandad used to say "don't ask for advice if you're not going to listen"

It looks like the overall opinion is not in favor of clamp ons, but here's why I decided to go with them:

1. no quick release bucket
2. with the forks I'll be moving light loads
3. I use my bucket several times a week... can't imagine using the pallet forks more than once a month.

So anyway, thanks for the advice, this is a great site! Glad I found it!

Here are the pallet forks I decided on.

local guys near me so if I have problems I can track them down :)

I'll let you know if I regret the purchase after I use them a few times.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Holy crap! I thought the main advantage of clamp-ons was $$$? Please let me know how those work out... (not being a [email protected]$$, I'm genuinely curious b/c they're a lot more cash than I've seen for others)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Holy crap! I thought the main advantage of clamp-ons was $$$? Please let me know how those work out... (not being a [email protected]$$, I'm genuinely curious b/c they're a lot more cash than I've seen for others)
I would think cost goes up with tractor size.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Sorry to jump in late.

In my experience your forks will become the single most used tool at your place. I'd strongly suggest stand-alone ones. Artillian's are nothing short of perfect, but if $$ is an issue HLA or another "less expensive" brand would be good too.

I'd not cheap out on such an invaluable tool.

-J.

Reactions: Marlin

·
Administrator
18,306 Posts
Sorry to jump in late.

In my experience your forks will become the single most used tool at your place. I'd strongly suggest stand-alone ones. Artillian's are nothing short of perfect, but if $$ is an issue HLA or another "less expensive" brand would be good too.

I'd not cheap out on such an invaluable tool.

-J.
While you are absolutely correct, check post #13 and see what machine he has. QA forks are not really an option for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
While you are absolutely correct, check post #13 and see what machine he has. QA forks are not really an option for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look what jumping in late gets me.......

:banghead:

-J.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts