Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying pallet forks for my tractor. I was considering the type that attach to the bucket on the front end loader. The more I read about these I started to doubt whether to get the light duty bucket attached type or go with the quick connect, Artillian appears to be the brand of choice. I am in New Brunswick, Canada and from what I have read, the shipping costs are high, if they will even ship to Canada. I am about an hour from Houlton, Maine and if I could get them shipped there it would be a fairly easy procedure. I understand the Artillian quick connect are reasonably lightweight and that is important to me because I cannot lift or tug on these things because of health issues.
Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself...the question is whether the type that attach to the bucket are good and from some of the articles I have read, they say when they are attached to the bucket you operate blindly because the bucket blocks your vision.
Keep in mind the forks will be used at my home property to move fairly light items, not for commercial use and they will not be used frequently. My dealer has a quick connect set up in stock, they seem to be very heavy duty and probably heavier duty then I need. It is still an option.
Any thoughts on this, please let me know.
Thanks folks, I appreciate any feed back you can give me.
Dick

·
Administrator
18,304 Posts
Dick,
:wgtt:

-Firstly, I will move your thread to the appropriate forum for the best help.
-Secondly, the "clamp-on" forks are really not a good option, you have already bought and paid for the JDQA setup so you should use it! The clamps-on's vastly reduce lift capacity, and since they are in front of the bucket you have no visibility either. Bending the bucket as you mentioned is not unheard of either for obvious reasons.
-Third, Artillian does indeed ship to Canada-you should email Chris for a quote both to your house and to a place in Maine if you can.
-Fourth, the set your dealer has (probably Frontier brand) are way overkill for your machine, and weigh about twice what the Artillian ones weigh-and that just reduce's your lift capacity.
-Fifth, you will be amazed at how useful forks are once you have them!

·
Registered
152 Posts
First of all, everything Kenny said I agree with 100 percent.

I would also add that I got forks from the dealer when I bought my 1026R. They are not Frontier brand but they had them in stock. They are extremely heavy, add will fit up to I think the 5 series because it has two sets of pin locations on it. It leaves me very little lift capacity. Like you I got the 1026R because of health reasons.

Also consider that you may not need the 48" forks that usually come with these normally. Artillian has 24" forks available, which I wish I had gotten, which also saves weight.

Good luck to you.

Rich

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
:wgtt:

You will find you use the forks all the time!! The clamp ons are not a good idea (like Kenny said) on the smaller tractors.. Spend the money and get some that just attach to the quick tach..

Also dont forget the counter balance weight you will need for the rear of your tractor.. :good2:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use the clamp on forks on my tractor. You can see the tips of them from your seat, if you lean a little forward. I have the forks since quite a while, first used them with my Bobcat, and now with the tractor. I think your tractor either tipps to the front or cannot lift the load before the bucket would bend.
I am happy with the clamp ons for what I have to move around the house, and they are even better then the attached ones, if you have to move a lot of brush around because you have way more room (forks and bucket) to handle the brush.
I just cannot justify the high cost of the Artillian forks compared to the clamp ons for the light duty work I do with them.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Hi Dixdaman,

We spoke on the phone, but I was about to say...

There are Artillian forks all over Canada, even some pretty far up into Alberta, nearly into the Northwest Territory. Brrr. :laugh: Whenever possible, though, it's better to drive to the border and pick up. The shipping cost savings is substantial and paperwork simpler :mad:. And thankfully there are no duty fees going into Canada either, just whatever local taxes have to get settled at the border.

As for clamp on forks vs a dedicated attachment, of course the clamp-ons have a cost advantage but time and time again I hear about people buying a dedicated set of forks thinking they won't use them very often but end up keeping them on their tractor most of the time. Of course, everybody's situation is different.

Thanks All!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Hi Dixdaman,

We spoke on the phone, but I was about to say...

There are Artillian forks all over Canada, even some pretty far up into Alberta, nearly into the Northwest Territory. Brrr. :laugh: Whenever possible, though, it's better to drive to the border and pick up. The shipping cost savings is substantial and paperwork simpler :mad:. And thankfully there are no duty fees going into Canada either, just whatever local taxes have to get settled at the border.

As for clamp on forks vs a dedicated attachment, of course the clamp-ons have a cost advantage but time and time again I hear about people buying a dedicated set of forks thinking they won't use them very often but end up keeping them on their tractor most of the time. Of course, everybody's situation is different.

Thanks All!
Some, like me, bought 2 sets and a vacuum cleaner.:lol::lol:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
I am happy with the clamp ons for what I have to move around the house, and they are even better then the attached ones, if you have to move a lot of brush around because you have way more room (forks and bucket) to handle the brush.
I just cannot justify the high cost of the Artillian forks compared to the clamp ons for the light duty work I do with them.
:cheers:

It's great you have the tools that work for you, but just for perspective did you know that the Deere price for a 53" bucket is $863? And that is a mass produced item with zero moving parts. If someone makes one wrong move with clamp-ons or gets a little too confident over time, they could end up spending more just for a new bucket than they would have for a set of forks.

To quote Gizmo, "just sayin"!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all

Hi Chris, I must say that I was really pleased to hear from you this morning. I will be back to you shortly. I must also thank the "Boys" for their replies. I like this forum and the help is very much appreciated by a novice to John Deere products.
Now if I can just keep it straight on what board to post a thread on, we will all be happier.
Thanks again to all.
Dick

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some, like me, bought 2 sets and a vacuum cleaner.:lol::lol:
As did I. Hope you get to the candy before your wife sees it. :fed:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
From what I've read about the Artillian forks...........you won't be dissappointed. I live 100 miles north of Houlton. It's a 15 minute drive across the border from Edmundston. You can ship them here if you want. It'll save you on shipping costs. Plus.......my next door neighbor has a forklift and I can load them up in your truck. I'd use "my" Artillian forks........but I don't have any yet. Someday!

Edit: My zip code is 04772 if you want to get a shipping quote from Chris.

·
Administrator
18,304 Posts
From what I've read about the Artillian forks...........you won't be dissappointed. I live 100 miles north of Houlton. It's a 15 minute drive across the border from Edmundston. You can ship them here if you want. It'll save you on shipping costs. Plus.......my next door neighbor has a forklift and I can load them up in your truck. I'd use "my" Artillian forks........but I don't have any yet. Someday!

Edit: My zip code is 04772 if you want to get a shipping quote from Chris.
Thats a very kind offer! You won't need your nieigbors forklift with The Artilian fork becuse they are so light!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Chris has one heck of a product. I can't believe how handy his forks are. People on here often tell you that they use them more than the bucket and I can attest to that. I really like my forks for moving bush as they have chain slots for easy securing of brush. I thought lots about the purchase and in the end I feel I've made the right choice. It was the same internal struggle that I had when looking at the 1026R. Granted it's a lot of money, but I've never had one regret after both purchases.

Here's a couple shots I have laying around.

This was a retaining wall removal. Forks performed great!

Here I am washing the underside of my 60D deck.

Moving some firepit wood.

Here is a shot from the day I brought my CountyLine mower home.

Hope these images help in your decision making.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nice set up.

·
Registered
383 Posts
:cheers:

It's great you have the tools that work for you, but just for perspective did you know that the Deere price for a 53" bucket is $863? And that is a mass produced item with zero moving parts. If someone makes one wrong move with clamp-ons or gets a little too confident over time, they could end up spending more just for a new bucket than they would have for a set of forks.

To quote Gizmo, "just sayin"!
Yes Chris, I am fully aware about your points. And I would absolutely prefer your very fine forks over my el cheapo clamp on set-up, but I just cannot justify it price wise. I am very sure that I never will exceed the ability of my bucket to lift anything with my forks that needs to be lifted. I do not have a farm, I am just a private homeowner with some land to play on. In fact, I will never have any building projects that would require heavy style lifting.
I cannot believe that I am the only member here who has light lifting needs only. I use my forks mostly for moving brush and some pallets that I use to store my implements on. MY clamp on forks are better for this purpose because they reach way farther than the forks you sell, and their brush carrying ability is larger because the bucket can carry some brush, too.
I own these clamp ons now for about 15 years (first used with my little Bobcat and now with the John Deere), and I never had a problem carrying anything I needed to carry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts