Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I’ve been having trouble with the parking brake lever being really hard to move (1025r). It engages easier than disengaging. I assume it just needs some lube somewhere... Guessing I have to take the front cowl off and spray superlube in the joints? Any other thoughts?

Thx!

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
You can access the linkage from underneath. Don't believe you can through the cowel trim. I'd investigate it first for binding. I never sprayed anything on mine as I didn't want it to attract dirt. That would cause more problems than good. FWIW, mine is 'firm' when engaging and less when disengaging. Not too difficult, but firm.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can access the linkage from underneath. Don't believe you can through the cowel trim. I'd investigate it first for binding. I never sprayed anything on mine as I didn't want it to attract dirt. That would cause more problems than good. FWIW, mine is 'firm' when engaging and less when disengaging. Not too difficult, but firm.
Thanks, kylew. Good point about lube attracting dirt. I'll check the linkage underneath this weekend.

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
I sprayed the outside of the handle with either WD40 or Fluid Film. Made it slide a lot easier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I bought my tractor used, the parking brake was so stiff that I thought it was broken. However, I sprayed some lube on it from the bottom side and it freed right up. I didn’t have to remove anything.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine was quite tough to engage when it was new, so much that I didn't want to use it. Now after a year of use, it's harder to engage, but not too hard, and easier to dis-engage. I guess it needed breaking in?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I utilize silicon spray on items that I'm concerned about dirt clinging to. I've never had an issue with the Fwd/Rev lever on either of my 1025Rs. The arear that gets lubed with the silicone spray is the mower deck height knob linkage. It really makes a difference!

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
Update, and I apologize for my comment earlier saying that I didn't believe you could access the brake linkage by removing the lower cowel trim. Come to find out, it seems to be the best way to access the major part of the linkage. I must have been thinking of the cruise control linkage being accessed from underneath. My bad.

Yesterday I removed the lower cowel trim and sprayed Fluid Film on the backside of the handle where it rubs/runs in the upper dash trim slot, and on the parking brakes main lever (held by a bolt & washer... the part the handles rod actuates). I sprayed around the best I could where the lever pivots around the bolt head and the backside of the lever against the frame. Not too much, but enough to get it to work into the joints. Made a world of difference. Pulling the handle it still has some firmness, but operates much easier. I'll keep an eye on it for accumulation of dirt.

The washer under the bolt head appears that it could be a spring washer, putting tension on the assembly. I thought about loosening it a tad, but after the spray of Fluid Film it seems just about right for me, so I left the bolt alone.

For those that have the newer style lower cowel trim that doesn't come off as easily, but has the access door on the right hand side, I'm not sure but I would think you might be able to access the majority of the linkage through that access door. It's worth looking at.

Reactions: Levi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts