Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could've pulled forward another foot, but it really didn't matter.:laugh:

20180628_150403.jpg

With the tiller and 3/4 tank of fuel, I'm 500# over my GCVWR, but I'm plated for 25K. I wasn't in the truck when weighed, so it's 220# lighter on paper.

20180628_203708.jpg

What surprised me was the 580# that transferred from the front axle to the rear when 1100# of tongue weight was added to the truck.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Looks like Fleet Farm:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
What surprised me was the 580# that transferred from the front axle to the rear when 1100# of tongue weight was added to the truck.
I guess that makes sense with a bumper-pull trailer. The tongue weight acts as a pivot around the rear axle and lightens up the front. That's why a 5th wheel is better because it puts the weight over the rear axle and actually allows it to distribute to the front. This is just my random speculation of how things work...

Rob

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Force times distance

Yeah, you've got the physics right. I guess I just didn't expect it with how long my wheelbase is and how heavy the front end of my truck is.

Tows like a dream.
That sounds about right given that by my eyeballs the distance to from the rear hitch ball to the rear axle is about 1/2 the distance between the axles. I'm not sure how you got the 1,100 lbs of tongue weight but you could actually calculate that by using the weight transfer and distances.

I'm guilty of not weighing the tongue when towing but if anything I run a little too heavy. For sure it only takes a few feet of moving if the tongue is light before it feels "off". I've stopped in a gravel plant and shoveled rock forward once or twice when the loader put too much on the back of the trailer. Fortunately, the loader operator was in a cab and couldn't hear my comments. . .

Treefarmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts