Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pastures have been attacked by Feral Hogs and now they look like a bombing range.

What is the best implement(s) to use to get them back to level and dip free.

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, I suggest liberal application of 300BLK, or whatever you have on hand.

Then look at the holes, wallows and trails they have made. Do you need to add dirt or just put it back?

I'd suggest the backhoe to fill stuff in, then tamp it with the bucket. Then roll the wheels over it.

If they have rooted up stuff, you may need a toothbar to help sort it all out; maybe backdrag to the center of whatever.

Replant as soon as possible to help keep erosion under control. Use the bucket to carry protective straw, and spread with a rake by hand.

ETA: Anything organic will rot and cause a dip, so maybe a bit of a mound of fresh dirt?

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
My pastures have been attacked by Feral Hogs and now they look like a bombing range.

Thanks
I'd try disc harrows first depending on how bad it is.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
It depends on the amount and extent of the damage.

A box blade would work well if you're not trying to cover a lot of acreage.

If it is real bad, you might have to disc up the whole pasture and drag it, but that will also mean re-planting.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Too $

5.56 55gr soft points with a stout charge of cfe 223 or any other powder of your choice loaded in a case of 30rd pmags. Do you have hunters who would be willing to give you a hand? If I wasn't so buried, I'd love to help you out.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hogs are a huge problem here in central Texas, especially on ranches with live water. When the hogs get pressured from hunting, they will move to another ranch. They are very smart and can have several litters a year.

The usual land damage are random ruts that are several inches deep, they will completely dig up large areas.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

Thanks
The best implement? An M1 Garand:laugh:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Invite this guy over for a day, pack a picnic and watch the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWYLIrwcDpI

He has a better video but I couldn't find it
At 1:25, the little pig in front that takes off with the pack appears to duck behind a tree while the rest go running. Did I really just see that? I know they are smart, but...

After looking at it again, I think it got shot and flopped down behind the tree.

·
Registered
199 Posts

Thanks
How much land are we talking? If it's under 10 then a box blade over 10 I'd use a disk. Depends on how much time you have, what you use the land for and what Implements you have access to.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Dang, I feel your pain

It depends on the amount and extent of the damage.

A box blade would work well if you're not trying to cover a lot of acreage.

If it is real bad, you might have to disc up the whole pasture and drag it, but that will also mean re-planting.
Sorry to hear you got a hog problem. I went through that in forest land. I've also spent time rehabbing some hog lots that were rooted for years and years before we got rid of the hogs.

If you have a disk and don't mind taking the sod out of a larger area, I would disk first and then use a box blade. In my case, I just ripped an area about four times as big as any hole and then used the box blade to move dirt into the holes. I back dragged with the FEL bucket to pack and final grade.

If at all possible, make the hogs go away. If you leave even a couple around soon there will be a lot more hogs back digging away. USDA APHIS helped me out quite a bit by helping trap a large number. Your state Fish and Game Department may be able to help as well. It's almost impossible to eliminate hogs by hunting- you need to be able to trap them.

I feel your pain. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry to hear you got a hog problem. I went through that in forest land. I've also spent time rehabbing some hog lots that were rooted for years and years before we got rid of the hogs.

If you have a disk and don't mind taking the sod out of a larger area, I would disk first and then use a box blade. In my case, I just ripped an area about four times as big as any hole and then used the box blade to move dirt into the holes. I back dragged with the FEL bucket to pack and final grade.

If at all possible, make the hogs go away. If you leave even a couple around soon there will be a lot more hogs back digging away. USDA APHIS helped me out quite a bit by helping trap a large number. Your state Fish and Game Department may be able to help as well. It's almost impossible to eliminate hogs by hunting- you need to be able to trap them.

I feel your pain. . .

Treefarmer
x2...they breed faster than you can shoot them. There have been about 40 trapped within 200 yards of my house over the last few weeks, hear more every night.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I had no idea they were that bad...I didn’t mean to make light of it.
Are these those super pig hybrids from wild hogs, domestic pigs, and that Russian pig?
That would be hell. To think I get mad when a deer chews on one of my little trees!

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Not good enough

Invite this guy over for a day, pack a picnic and watch the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWYLIrwcDpI

He has a better video but I couldn't find it
That guy is a heck of a shot but more than enough pigs got away to multiply. That's the problem with hunting, you get some and educate the rest who then breed a smarter, warier pig for the next generation.

Anyone who turns pigs loose because they want "sport" is either stupid or criminally careless about their actions. There aren't many creatures more destructive of the environment and well suited to live and breed almost anywhere.

Treefarme

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
That guy is a heck of a shot but more than enough pigs got away to multiply. That's the problem with hunting, you get some and educate the rest who then breed a smarter, warier pig for the next generation.
That is what they make silencers for.........

Pick on the sows. Gay Boars can't have babies.

I agree that hunting them is not going to eradicate them unless you use several hunters, dogs, traps, etc like a planned attack.

An outfit from Texas came up to kill them off one of Dad's neighbors places. Had several of us "volunteers" staked out on escape routes. Their dogs drove most of them to their guns.

Very well planned. They started by darting one with a transmitter and then tracked them for a bit.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Pick on the sows. Gay Boars can't have babies.

:lol: It would seem gay boars wouldn't destroy the place either but rather hang up curtains and put flowers every place. :lol:

We'll just blame slick Willy: Don't ask Don't tell :nunu:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Too $

5.56 55gr soft points with a stout charge of cfe 223 or any other powder of your choice loaded in a case of 30rd pmags. Do you have hunters who would be willing to give you a hand? If I wasn't so buried, I'd love to help you out.
Too much $???? Naaahhhhh. Go big or go home-I’d err on the side of excess firepower in this case. Hit em hard and make sure they go down fast!

Plus when you reload those $ go down by half or more.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/01/09/texas-must-get-grip-wild-hog-problem

Here is an opinion piece on the Texas feral hog issue. Not sure I agree with the writer's recommendations but am posting this to show the size of the problem in Texas and other parts of the country. I think the solution to the feral hog problem is probably a combination of things ranging from hunting, trapping, and possibly a sterilization program (have no idea how that would work or if its even economically feasible). I think I read somewhere some places are trying to poison hogs but that's really hard to control if you ask me. What control measures are there to ensure only a hog eats the poison? I doubt there any effective ones that would give the kill rate required to control the population.

The writer does hint on one thing though, if you create some sort of a market for it and have some very loose hunting restrictions you may indeed get enough hunters to control the problem, however the number of hunters in the US is on the decline based on another article I read. Look what we did to most of the game during the 1800's just about drove move big game instinct (think buffalo, fur trapping, bears, deer, elk, moose, etc).

Anyways the poster has a serious problem on his hands. If he hasn't gotten rid of the hogs, I am not sure I would fix the pasture. If the hogs are gone then all of the suggestions others have posted will do the trick but it comes down to what equipment he has on hand or is willing to buy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts