Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a sheep pasture. The owner got rid of her sheep when her husband died last spring. It was mowed once in the spring then not again all year. I showed up with my 1025r and 48 inch Woods rotary mower about 1030. By 12 it was finished. Its around an acre. I cut a little shorter than intended but still getting the hang of it. The good side of it was that it chopped up all the dead grass and burdocks from last year. It left a lot of clippings but my plan is to hit it in a week with the 54 inch belly mower. That should leave it in a condition for her to maintain with her new Ferris. So far Im liking this tractor and my choice of attachments. She asked if I had a back hoe for trenching. I said not yet, why do you ask?? To be continued...
Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's a shame about the livestock, maybe she can rent out the field? I'm glad you could help out! How did the transportation of everything go? Nice that you had a "practice" field to lean the ropes with!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transportation was ok. The brush mower is the longest attachment. The trailer I have could be longer I guess. Backed on, with the loader on, the tail wheel is up against the jack, the bucket misses the ramps by a foot. Weight isnt an issue for the trailer or truck. I have a 2012 E 350 and it barely knows its back there. The tiller or the york rake fit much easier. To take multiple implements,I will have to carry one in the bucket, strapped down. I think at her age she is going to just be happy mowing, no more animals. Its not a bad spot to mow. I did get to practice on some brush at my Moms place too. Its a beast. Makes a lot of noice with igger stuff but its taking the 1 1/2 inch stuff as advertised, very easy. It may have been overkill for the pasture. Maybe could have used the belly mower ut I wasnt sure what was in there. Turns out there was there wasnt anything that would have hurt it. Overall I think I have a good arsenal so far! I still feel like I need a backhoe!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ya, going on with the rough cutter was a good idea; who knows what lurks in the weeds or along the fencerows? I've got three years on my original blades (54") and I just can't salvage them anymore. Off to find some Gator blades!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you like the 54? I still havent used mine. Just installed it last night but toobwet to use it. Im hoping it will handle the heavy clippings/hay the rotary cutter left. I may bungee up the discharge shute for that field so it doesnt try to dump clippings in a windrow

·
Registered
286 Posts
I like it! The hookup is very easy and seemed safer than the Kubota setup. I did get the Deck Dolly w/ double wheels- it's really the only way to move it around IMHO but there are other solutions. It's on it's 3rd (???) season and I just ordered a new set of blades. Went with the Gator G5's, but it might take 2 weeks to get to me. It's tough! Stopped my tractor dead cold when I found an unknown landscape timber beside my garage. :gaah: As far as I can tell the spindles are still good. It's maintenance light- 3 zerks and some places that you can shoot some WD-40 on. I expect it to last 20 years!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts