Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a set of Pats Easy Change yesterday. For those that don’t know it’s a set of quick attach hooks that go on the end of your lift arms. It took me about an hour and a half. There are four set screws for each hook. It’s a little tricky to get them tight and they are what control how even and square they are. I would’ve loved an I-match but couldn’t stomach the cost.

For anyone with a Pats, mine came with a sway link to connect the sides. Is that really needed? Seems like if you have your turnbuckles tight it wouldn’t be needed.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Installed a set of Pats Easy Change yesterday. For those that don’t know it’s a set of quick attach hooks that go on the end of your lift arms. It took me about an hour and a half. There are four set screws for each hook. It’s a little tricky to get them tight and they are what control how even and square they are. I would’ve loved an I-match but couldn’t stomach the cost.

For anyone with a Pats, mine came with a sway link to connect the sides. Is that really needed? Seems like if you have your turnbuckles tight it wouldn’t be needed.
The link rod is to keep the two lower lift arms separated at the correct distance when an implement is not attached. Otherwise, the lower arms can flop around and make it difficult to back in and grab the pins on an implement.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Considered them but never tried them.

There are several on here that use them.

They are pretty versatile particularly if you have implements that are not QH compatible.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
The link rod is to keep the two lower lift arms separated at the correct distance when an implement is not attached. Otherwise, the lower arms can flop around and make it difficult to back in and grab the pins on an implement.
I guess that depends on if the sway adjustment is on the inside of the lift arms like the 1 series or the on the outside like the 3 series.

On the 3 series the sway adjustment is a two piece bar with pin holes.

If the sway adjustment is on the outside and isn't solid you could just use a bungee cord.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
I guess that depends on if the sway adjustment is on the inside of the lift arms like the 1 series or the on the outside like the 3 series.

On the 3 series the sway adjustment is a two piece bar with pin holes.

If the sway adjustment is on the outside and isn't solid you could just use a bungee cord.
I guess that could work. Although, whether the sway limiter (chain, bar, turnbuckle) is on the inside or outside, your lower links will still move around a bit when an implement is not attached. For the Pat's system to work just like a quick hitch the arms need to be held apart a specific distance equal to the spacing of the lower pins on your implement. That's what the spacer rod does.

If you want to use the Pat's system and still get off the tractor to attach the lower arms then you could probably get away without using the spacer rod.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love mine... should have gotten them when I got my first tractor. What you ate referring to as the sway bar is, i think, simply and adjustable bar made to keep the arms at the proper distance while hooking up equipment. It's not meant to stay on while using the tractor.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
I love mine... should have gotten them when I got my first tractor. What you ate referring to as the sway bar is, i think, simply and adjustable bar made to keep the arms at the proper distance while hooking up equipment. It's not meant to stay on while using the tractor.

Are you sure? Putting that rod on and off every time you attach an implement would be a royal PITA.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been a huge fan of Pat's ECS following a miserable experience with a Speeco QH unit.

I left my stabilizer bar installed and mangled it in my maiden mow voyage. I contacted Pat and was informed that it was not meant to be permanently installed, just used to get correct spacing before hook-up.

I have no Deere implements and did not want to go through the hassle of modifying my implements for an iMatch, so Pat's it was for me.

Brian

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you sure? Putting that rod on and off every time you attach an implement would be a royal PITA.
Positive. Its not made for the abuse of actually working with it on... you'll break it. I don't always or often use it. As to the pita I've got to get off to hook up the pto usually anyway so it's not a huge deal. It's just a guide to help your Pats be the right distance apart to engage your pins properly. I attached mine to my rops so it's always handy.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
You still have to hook up the top link so removing the alignment bar is just another step.

The hardest part of hitching an implement is getting the lower lift arms on the implement pins and the Pat's system does that. The rest is just some exercise.

Pat's system wouldn't work for me. I use the lift arms to attach my backhoe. Removing the hooks to do this would be a real pain in the butt.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Positive. Its not made for the abuse of actually working with it on... you'll break it. I don't always or often use it. As to the pita I've got to get off to hook up the pto usually anyway so it's not a huge deal. It's just a guide to help your Pats be the right distance apart to engage your pins properly. I attached mine to my rops so it's always handy.

Thanks! You learn something every day. A lot of the Pat's videos I see has the rod in place and Pat's site is a bit vague.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes getting the implement hooked up to the lower arms is the hard part with my weight box. Putting the bar in to connect the arms seems to just take a few seconds.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Little late to the party.
I use Pat's as well. I've left the alignment bar in position before while using a box blade or landscape rake, never had an issue. Leaving it in place while using a PTO powered implement, would most likely result in a bent alignment bar. now that I have telescoping stabilizers, I never have to adjust or undo anything. I may have gotten lucky, but my stabilizers keep the links in just the right position to where I can back in, and hookup, with minimal deflection of the lower links and implements.

Here's how I keep that spacer/alignment bar stowed on the machine.....
Help me decide on a quick hitch setup - Page 2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts