Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty good at fixing my own PC - have changed out memory, drives and graphic cards. Now it seems I need to replace my power supply. In the morning when I turn my PC on the fan squeals - guess the bearing is going. I don't know much about power supplies so wanted to ask - and be sure the one I pick is going to work properly.

Current PC -

Asus standard tower Essentio CM6730-06
Intel i5-2320
6GB DDR ram
nvidia GT520 graphic card (soon to be upgraded)
Main drive Samsung 128gb SSD - secondary drive 1TB 7200rpm
One optical drive CD/DVD/RW
Power supply 300W
Windows 7 home premium

Looking at what is on special at newegg this morning, I picked out these two:

CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 3 Year Warranty Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready - Newegg.com

The Corsair is 430W - cost after rebate is $20. The EVGA is 500W - cost after rebate is $25.

I plan on a mild graphic card upgrade in the future so I think 400W or above would be enough.

Any thoughts on which one to choose? Any other suggestions around that price point?

Thanks!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Can't help with the tech stuff, but make sure you have vacuumed the area around the fan good. Sometimes, a little dust can have them making noise too. Once good and clean, the noise ceases.

Of course, having 2 Beagles allowed in the house, there could never be a dog hair around here!

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's pretty clean - I have a routine of cleaning once a month. Makes a big difference now that I have it on the desk instead of the floor.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,440 Posts
DC power plugs and power supply mounting are the two big concerns. 500 Watt is pretty big.
It has been my experience, you may get the fan to quiet down for a while but it's now a matter of time before it will stop all together.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
You list your case as an "Asus standard tower" but there really is no such thing as a "standard" case. The power supplies you listed are both "ATX" form factor so make sure your case is an ATX case. If it isn't, you'll have major issues getting the power supply to fit.

"ATX" is, by far, the most common case style so your's probably is an ATX but you want to double check that.

Either power supply you listed is more than what you'd need. You've been running all these years on a 300W supply and you don't have all that much in the case that's drawing huge amounts of power.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
It looks to be what is called a mid tower PC. Certain that it's an ATX board. Either of those PS's will do the job, but as mentioned the lesser will more than suffice.
Just noticed the "graphics update soon". What did you plan on doing? Maybe the 500w will be the better choice.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been my experience, you may get the fan to quiet down for a while but it's now a matter of time before it will stop all together.
I agree completely. The last 2 mornings I did a redneck fix by sticking a pen in the fan shroud to stop it - the second time I did that it ran quietly. This is why I am trying to be preemptive and get one ordered today.

You list your case as an "Asus standard tower" but there really is no such thing as a "standard" case. The power supplies you listed are both "ATX" form factor so make sure your case is an ATX case. If it isn't, you'll have major issues getting the power supply to fit.

"ATX" is, by far, the most common case style so your's probably is an ATX but you want to double check that.

Either power supply you listed is more than what you'd need. You've been running all these years on a 300W supply and you don't have all that much in the case that's drawing huge amounts of power.
It looks to be what is called a mid tower PC. Certain that it's an ATX board. Either of those PS's will do the job, but as mentioned the lesser will more than suffice.
This is why I am glad I asked. Here is the page from which I ordered it with the specs:

ASUS Essentio CM6730-06 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 2320 (3.00GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB HDD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - Newegg.com

Under form factor all it says is "Tower". Is there anything else I can do to identify if that is an ATX?

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
I poked around on the Web but there doesn't seem to be any definitive info that I can find.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to open the case and look for a label on your existing power supply. Punch the model number off of the power supply into Google and you'll probably get the answer in a second or less.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I would guess that the case is ATX as well as the current PSU. If it were me I would go with the larger 500w if you are looking to upgrade in the future. If by chance your current case is not ATX cases aren't to expensive and newegg probably has a bunch on clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,932 Posts

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Bubber and everyone else!

I did look up my current power supply and didn't get much more info than is printed on the label. I came to a safe enough assumption - now verified by Bubber - that any ATX power supply will work as he says.

My next step is to try and predict what graphic card I may want in the future. I don't do any gaming but do run a couple photo editing programs - might get into some light video editing sometime in the future. The card I am thinking of right now requeires a 300W or greater power supply so either of the power supplies will work.

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 02G-P4-3751-KR G-SYNC Support 2GB Video Card - Newegg.com

Now just to decide which card - the $5 more for the EVGA 500W isn't much so I may just go with that one for the extra edge in case I might want a more powerful grahic card. They both have a 3 year warranty.

Note to add: I've never played a game on the computer - but have been looking for something to help occupy my time especially in the winter. If I could find something I like that isn't all futuristic or paranormal that would be nice. I looked at SimCity for an example and that requires a pretty hefty graphic card - I might use that as my guide for which power supply to get. According to what I've found with that the card needed for that (GTX 660) requires a 450W power supply - so 500W it is!

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
667 Posts
Why not remove the power supply , disassemble the power supply, replace the fan.

Doug

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not remove the power supply , disassemble the power supply, replace the fan.

Doug
That's something that hadn't crossed my mind. Since I already have a replacement on the way, I will do as you say with the old one and put it back so I have a spare on hand.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Stan, IMHO, I wouldn't even bother. Being it is only a little 300W. More than likely if you did upgrade your video card, the PS would be on the borderline of barely capable anyway. The very small PS's are normally (unfortunately) very cheap in terms of components quality. Your replacement PS, which is of very good quality,which ever you choose, will more than likely outlive your system.:)

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point Greg. I did some extensive research on these power supplies - can you tell I have too much time on my hands?

Along with the quality difference I read about the efficiency of the new ones. The one I choose has an 80+ (plus) rating which ends up with not only cleaner power but also more amperage available compared to the generic ones put in pre-made boxes like mine.

I'm actually amazed at what you get for the price - ended up paying $15.99 shipped after rebate. The wiring and connectors alone seem like they would cost that much.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
It really is a shame how cheap most components are in the "off the shelf" PC's. Not all, but most of the time (for their profit margin) they will use the very bare minimums. That's what makes it very hard to pick an "as built". I build my own rigs. Even though I'm gettin' up there in age, I'm considered one of those so called "hard core" gamers.:) On the other hand, my wife doesn't need much in the way of a PC. We always found decent pre made systems that you could "customize" by picking from a list of upgradeable components. Kind of the best of both worlds. Already built, but you had a hand in it's makeup.

Not so easy anymore to find that nice little perk. Ironically that is what I'm trying to do now for my wife right now. It's time for a new rig, and the pickin's aren't what they used to be. I actually ended up having to go to sites that specialize in building gaming rigs of all things. But the ability to pick and choose what you want is all there. Put together a pretty nice setup too.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts