Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:usa May we never forget the lost lives and the hero's at Pearl Harbor, Dec 7,1941 :usa

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
A date which will live in infamy.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I used to date a guy whose birthday is Dec. 7. I still send him birthday greetings! Easy day to remember, as we always remembered Pearl Harbor in my home, growing up.

May we never forget.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I can't recall the attack, but I do recall how things were during the war. I knew, and heard it repeated often, that "The Japs attacked Pearl Harbor". I had no idea what it meant, but I knew it was bad. I had a dart board with the pictures of Tojo, Hitler and Mussolini on it and I knew they were bad people.

Pearl Harbor - FDR's "Day of Infamy" Speech

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
I'm afraid that many people today don't understand the significance of "Remember Pearl Harbor", much less "Remember the Maine". Hell a lot of people don't understand the importance of September 11.

I did read that the president issued a proclamation for Pearl Harbor on Friday, but had a free schedule for today. Now, that I don't understant.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Thank you to all of our veterans. We are forever grateful.
Martin

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
RE: The signifigance

Reminds me, when I rode the B 17 there was the Army nurse there that had been at Pearl. When I thanked her for her service she turned and looked at me like she had never heard the words before. If not for the greatest generation we would all be speaking german, or worse.

That kind of humility seems to be a characteristic of that generation. I met a fellow at a car show few years back; he was parked close to me so we struck up a conversation. Turns out he was a pilot, and he flew Wildcats off one of the jeep carriers in the pacific. WWII fighter aircraft have always fascinated me, so we had a great discussion. I made the remark that the under carriage of the Wildcats were manually retracted; he laughed and told me the exact number of cranks it took to get the wheels up...and down...something like 42.

When I finally left, I made some gooshy remark about how much the rest of the world owed them and how much I appreciated what he had done for us, and he replied "Aw, he!!...we were just a bunch of crazy kids and I didn't think I would survive the war any way."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts