Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The shear bolt on my Frontier PHD100 sheared on both ends and I can't seem to get the remaining center piece that's left out. I have tried pushing it through with another shear bolt, then with another shear bolt and tapping on it with a hammer. No luck. :banghead:

Any ideas on how to get it out?

20190427_104908.jpg

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I have no direct experience, but I would try a punch of a smaller diameter and a bigger hammer :laugh:.

Seriously, the shear bolt probably has "flashed" over the hole, and using the same diameter punch/shear bolt won't allow the flash to "fold back" and pass through.

A bit of penetrating oil won't hurt either.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
The shear bolt on my Frontier PHD100 sheared on both ends and I can't seem to get the remaining center piece that's left out. I have tried pushing it through with another shear bolt, then with another shear bolt and tapping on it with a hammer. No luck. :banghead:

Any ideas on how to get it out?

View attachment 683240
Ugg. You might need to get a punch that is just a bit smaller than the bolt. If the bolt is 1/4 try a 3/16 punch so it helps keep the holes lined up while you try to drive out the center. The photo makes it look hard to get at but I would hope it is not that bad. Good luck.

Looks like I posted at the same time but he is absolutely correct as well. See we have all just been sitting here waiting to solve your problem. No we can get on with our day.:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
When they shear on both sides it is hard to line up the middle part good enough to punch out once jammed good. On my Brush Hog I had to drill out the center section to remove mine. If you drill it close to being gone it is easy to knock out the rest.

Note; Using a punch it is better to drill into the bolt a ways so the punch goes into the bolt. Then when you hit the punch it does not smash/compress the bolt end more and make it tighter in the hole during the process. Drilled out a bunch of old rivets that way and so much quicker only hitting it a few times hard to bust them loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts