Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PHD...... silly ??? Hope not...... But I need info.

I have looked at a lot of ads for several brands, and they seem to have a line of cat 2, 3pt hitch models. OK, that is not useful to me.

Also seems to be 2 sizes of "smaller" models. They seem to both be cat 1 hitch size. But seem divided into "compact and sub-compact" tractor groups.

My question is what is the difference between implements if they are both cat 1 capable............ ?

Have diligently searched the local want adds, Craigs list etc. and would buy a used cat 1 for the $ saving in a hot minute, but no results.......

Going to use this on an older JD855. (19 pto hp)
Please educate me about my question.

Thanks
Wyo

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I have the TSC cheapie Speeco PHD. It can work with a CAT1 or CAT2 three point hitch (3PH). All that means is that it can accommodate the different pin sizes of those hitches. The specification sheets are somewhat vague and useless. There is no horse power (HP) rating for the gear box. There is no recommendation as to the HP needed at the PTO. But it was half the cost of the Deere PHD.

I planed to use it with either the 6" or 9" auger for posts. I would not use this unit with a 24" auger for planting trees. I've drilled about 64 holes so far, and that was another factor in choosing a cheap unit- I'm not putting in 2000' of fence line. If you get the Speeco, be advised that the gear box ships with no oil in it, you'll want a 80-90 weight oil.

Your 19 HP at your PTO would probably be OK for 6, 9, and 12" augers, but probably not for 24". Again, your soil type comes into play here. It would be great if you could find someone in your area that has used a PHD so you could benefit from their local experience.

Another factor in my decision is my soil. It is clay, with some rocks. Every now and then I hit a vein of this hard yellow rock. So far, have yet to hit it with the PHD. I also planned top put most of the posts and things in open areas where there would be no tree roots. So you can see where the size of hole and soil type will affect how heavy duty of a PHD you need, and affect if your 19 HP will be enough.

I'm also using my PHD on my JD 4520, which weights over 4000 pounds. So there is a lot of counter weight to keep the auger from "auguring in" to the ground. You can see where a lighter tractor running into a root with a 12 inch auger might just get in trouble.

As for the difference between the compact and sub compact, that comes down to how much lift you have on the 3PH of your tractor. PHDs for sub compacts can get by with lower amounts of lift. They may not be able to dig as deeply.

I'm sure others will chime in with more good info. Let me also than Steve (Jenkinsph) for educating me on the PHD when I was first working with mine.

Learning to use the PHD can be frustrating. You might get concerned that the task seems a bit boring. After a number of efforts, it seems like the same old drill and you get tired of the hole business. Your depression deepens as you feel like you keep going around in circles. And even when you're done it all feels kinda empty. So you pick up the pieces and fill in the empty void, then move on.

But a little experience and you'll be a Dirt Ninja in no time :thumbup1gif:. Can you dig it?

Pete

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Well written Pete:good2:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I'm firmly biased against 3PH PHD's as I had a Bush Hog mid-level (CRS the model number) unit with a 12" auger. For me the thing was a royal pain in the butt and more trouble than it was worth.

After a dozen holes, getting it stuck in our clay, nearly giving myself a coronary wrestling it on and off the tractor, even with the parking stands I ordered, I traded it in as a down payment on my L(emon)-130 lawn tractor.

If you're going to drill lots of holes and want to own one; look into a hydraulically powered one that you can reverse.

Otherwise rent one on a skidsteer or hire it out and let someone else have the frustration.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"You might get concerned that the task seems a bit boring. After a number of efforts, it seems like the same old drill and you get tired of the hole business. Your depression deepens as you feel like you keep going around in circles. And even when you're done it all feels kinda empty. So you pick up the pieces and fill in the empty void, then move on."
----------- Bwahahahahaahhahahahahahaaaaaa----------- :laugh:
Now, that's funny, I don't care who you are.
So I take it any "full size" "standard size" "common size" is OK on a regular cat1-3pt hitch ?

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Nice cowboy poetry Wyo...Baxter Black better look over his shoulder.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Wish I would have owned a PHD when I put chain-link fence around my front yard... Had 218 holes to dig by hand with post-hole-diggers!

That's not just painful; but sado-masochistic! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts