Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new rig to add to the stable a couple weeks ago. .

It’s a 2021 GMC 1500 AT4 diesel carbon pro edition.

Tinted the windows last weekend, got her new shoes on tonight.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Good looking truck. Keep us posted on how you like the 1/2 ton diesel. I test drove the eco diesel when I bought my Ram but it felt like a 4 cylinder. Was very disappointing. Went with the Hemi instead. I didn’t know until recently that GM had a Diesel engine for they’re 1500 trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt the same when I test drove an ecodiesel ram. It was pretty slow, and no padding power at higher speeds. The inline 6 in the GM 1500s is nothing like that.

This GMC can sprint 0-60 in 7sec. With its 10sp trans it is always in the optimum torture range .
Which it has 460lbs of torque.
It’s quicker then a GM 5.3L gas v8.
It’s a very impressive performing Powertrain.

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
Nice looking truck,, IMO GMC for looks beats the Chevy. The last couple of years Hate the looks of the new Chevy pickups the grill just turns me off. If Chevy would give me one to drive for a year, I believe I would say NO Thank You.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Nice looking truck,, IMO GMC for looks beats the Chevy. The last couple of years Hate the looks of the new Chevy pickups the grill just turns me off. If Chevy would give me one to drive for a year, I believe I would say NO Thank You.
Well, if they do offer you one- I'll take it off your hands so you don't disappoint the Chevy folks. When I'm driving, I don't notice what the outside of the truck looks like, lol. A free truck for a year? Yep, I'd take it even if it looked horrible.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I here ya. I agree 100% .
No more chevy’s for me till they fix that front end Styling.
I am back to GMCs again.
I loved the last gen chevy 2014-2018. I had a 15 and an 18.
this was my 2018.

I especially loved these old retro wrapped last gen silverado’s even though I never had one, but really thought they looked awesome wrapped to mimic the 70s style square body trucks.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
I can't get over the mirrors coming off the door instead of where the A pillar meets the door. At least the op's mirrors look better than the new heavy duty chevy, they look like a broken wrist. Why did they change it...

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I agree that the gmc wins the appearance contest. The cladded wheel wells and front end look better in my opinion.
Our local dealer is Chevy though, not GMC, so bow tie it is for me.
GM has the diesel priced attractive, it just doesn't fit my needs. I wanted a 6.2, but I didn't care for any of the trucks in stock that had it, so I ended up with a 5.3 which will be just fine.

Cc1999, you have a great looking truck! Love the wheels!

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't get over the mirrors coming off the door instead of where the A pillar meets the door. At least the op's mirrors look better than the new heavy duty chevy, they look like a broken wrist. Why did they change it...
Yes, I don’t care for the new mirror placement at all.
Bedsides the odd looks, think if you were accidentally knock one of them off, rather then a few hundred dollars for a new mirror and 30 min with some hand tools to fix , you will have a trip to a body shop that’s capable of working with the aluminum skin on the door, a door resin is likely, and a several days and several thousand bucks later you will have your truck back with the mirror repaired. There is still blanks in window frame for where the mirror should have gone. No idea why they moved it onto to the door. That was the work of one clueless engineer or designer.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
The rest of the truck is a good looking truck. Hope you didn't my comment to heart, I'm sure there are plenty of things you don't like on my Ford :ROFLMAO: There's a couple I don't like:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Nice truck. These were supposedly made to compete with the Raptor and I’ve heard good things about them. I would hold onto those wheels if it were me. They’ll be worth something down the road. Especially if they discontinue the AT4. Had my eye on that model since it came out. I also think the GMC’s front end is nicer than the Chevy. What was the saying back in the day? GMC is a Chevy with the bolts tightened or something lol. Nice truck.

·
Premium Member
8,902 Posts
It used to be the GMC was the plain work truck, then the non Chevy dealers that got to sell them wanted them to be luxury trucks (the Buick/Caddy dealers)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Fellow GMC owner here. I was wondering what a carbon pro edition was. I envisioned a carbon fiber truck body on the truck chassis. Is it just a standard cab and frame with a differently constructed bed? Anything else included?

Found this pic about the bed construction.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The inline 6 in the GM 1500s is nothing like that.

This GMC can sprint 0-60 in 7sec. With its 10sp trans it is always in the optimum torture range .
cc1999, I like the choices you make on tractor purchases and trucks. I have had my eye on the 3.0 L LM2 Duramax. I like the fuel efficiency
/ capability combo. Perhaps I will go for the Tahoe or Yukon with the same powertrain. If GM prices it too high then I'll pay a little more for 2500 HD 6.6 L L5P paired with the Allison transmission. I have a lot of confidence in that combo even if I sacrifice the fuel economy. The 10 speed tranny co-developed with Ford... time will tell about reliability? The waiting has begun. Keep us informed. Congrats on the new truck!

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rest of the truck is a good looking truck. Hope you didn't my comment to heart, I'm sure there are plenty of things you don't like on my Ford :ROFLMAO: There's a couple I don't like:ROFLMAO:
No worries, I don't like the mirror placement either.
Main reason I bought it was for the powertrain.

My dad had bought one too with the same powertrain a couple months ago, been raving how much he loved it.
I am finding I really like this new diesel powertrain too.

Aside from being a bit of green tractor nut, I am also a truck nut and a huge diesel fan, so when the truck I had ordered last August didn't show and I know now it won't show before year end, who knows when or if it will ever get built.
I was still needing another write off for 2020, so I thought I would give one of these new 3.0L I6s diesels a try as well. Very impressed so far.

Reactions: Treefarmer and Big

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cc1999, I like the choices you make on tractor purchases and trucks. I have had my eye on the 3.0 L LM2 Duramax. I like the fuel efficiency
/ capability combo. Perhaps I will go for the Tahoe or Yukon with the same powertrain. If GM prices it too high then I'll pay a little more for 2500 HD 6.6 L L5P paired with the Allison transmission. I have a lot of confidence in that combo even if I sacrifice the fuel economy. The 10 speed tranny co-developed with Ford... time will tell about reliability? The waiting has begun. Keep us informed. Congrats on the new truck!
Just FYI, that latest L5P in the 20+ HD is also backed with a GM/Ford 10 speed HD trans, only in GM's case they paid Allison for the rights to use the name Allison on it. It is no longer a real Allison trans, It is really the same 10 speed you find in the super duty.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fellow GMC owner here. I was wondering what a carbon pro edition was. I envisioned a carbon fiber truck body on the truck chassis. Is it just a standard cab and frame with a differently constructed bed? Anything else included?

Found this pic about the bed construction.

View attachment 767075
For 2021 the carbon pro comes with the kicker audio in the tailgate. Not all that great sounding, but it was included in the package. The grill is in a special anthracite grey or smoked chrome color whatever you want to call it.
I had to put a rubber mat in there on top of it to keep stuff from sliding around. It's supposed to be super tuff.
Not that I use a truck in fashion that I am going to tear up a steel bed, it is a half ton truck not a dump truck and only a 5.5 ft bed. I was mainly looking for a white AT4 with all the tech pkgs, Just so happened the only 3 in that color within 500 miles of me and with all the options I wanted, all were also carbo pro editions.

Reactions: ClydeLogan

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
My brother just got the Chevy 1500 with the diesel. I did drive it and liked the power it had. It is a straight 6 but the 10 speed makes for quick acceleration.
I was torn on the whole 1500 with a diesel combo, but it seems like a good package if your towing requirements fit.
The one thing that stood out most was it is QUIET! that motor makes basically no noise.

I'm a Ford guy and basically never have anything nice to say about Government Motors (GM), but it is a dang nice truck.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice truck. These were supposedly made to compete with the Raptor and I’ve heard good things about them. I would hold onto those wheels if it were me. They’ll be worth something down the road. Especially if they discontinue the AT4. Had my eye on that model since it came out. I also think the GMC’s front end is nicer than the Chevy. What was the saying back in the day? GMC is a Chevy with the bolts tightened or something lol. Nice truck.
Thanks.
Yea, I kept the wheels and tires that came with the truck. your right it can be an issues on certain model that come with special wheels and tires, that you may need those when you trade it back in, to get top dollar.

I owned a Raptor several years ago, and I would say this AT4 would not be much of a competitor for a Raptor.
Maybe more for the Ram Rebel, the TRD pro, that new Ford F150 Tremor that is coming out for 2021. All those are somewhat in between say a average pickup and a raptor in terms of capability.

Now the new RAM TRX is a real Raptor challenger, both have similar long travel suspensions and hopped up motors arguably the new Ram TRX is now the top super truck that is if they ever get around to building them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just FYI, that latest L5P in the 20+ HD is also backed with a GM/Ford 10 speed HD trans, only in GM's case they paid Allison for the rights to use the name Allison on it.
I knew about paying for the name badge. Didn't realize same transmission in 2500 HD / Super Duty too. I was aware of 1500 / F-150 sharing.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts