Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made the leap and upgraded from my Dixon SpeedZTR 46" mower to a new Z545R with a 54" deck. I did a fair bit of looking online at the various options, but I do work for Deere so admittedly my research was mostly focused on a particular brand..... This one seemed like it had some nice upgrades from my previous mower. It was tough finding one though, I called 3 different large Deere dealer chains and finally was able to track one down that was a couple hours away from me. Otherwise to order a new one with a 54" deck they were clear out to September delivery.

I went with the 54" because the 60" doesn't have the option for a bagger. I don't have any intentions to run a bagger currently, but maybe some day if I ever move. I also ordered the mulch kit, but that is on backorder like everything else these days. I didn't want to wait a month to pick up the mower, so the dealership is just going to ship that to me so I can install it myself.

I haven't mowed with it yet, we're still 3 weeks to a month away from that here. It was 60* the day I picked it up, then 30* and snowing 2 days later... I did drive it around the yard a bit though and the suspension seat is going to be one of my favorite parts I think. It starts nicely with the EFI and the electronic throttle control seems pretty slick. It's quiet and smooth, so no complaints there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats man, I picked my own Z545R on Monday, already managed to do a cut

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

Coming from a tractor, I can tell you, it took me 15-20 minutes to get used to the controls, but once you do, it's awesome, really nimble and I find the cut quality to be superb, of course you already had a ZTR so for you it's no problem

I just find that the bagger option for it is quite small, wonder if it's a weight restriction ?

Best purchase ever !

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,360 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats man, I picked my own Z545R on Monday, already managed to do a cut

View attachment 783209

Coming from a tractor, I can tell you, it took me 15-20 minutes to get used to the controls, but once you do, it's awesome, really nimble and I find the cut quality to be superb, of course you already had a ZTR so for you it's no problem

I just find that the bagger option for it is quite small, wonder if it's a weight restriction ?

Best purchase ever !
Very Nice! More snow here yesterday, so I'll have to just stare at your pictures instead. It looks like the scenery there is a bit better anyways!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sdeadeye - what was your thinking about the EFI engine? I am looking at the Z530R and was shying away from the EFI because a carbureted engine is familiar. Also my dealer did not seem very enthusiastic about it. Since then I have read a few articles about the value of EFI engines (at least to commercial operators - particularly because of fuel efficiency). I am wondering if maybe I should revisit the idea though the fuel efficiency gains will be negligible to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sdeadeye - what was your thinking about the EFI engine? I am looking at the Z530R and was shying away from the EFI because a carbureted engine is familiar. Also my dealer did not seem very enthusiastic about it. Since then I have read a few articles about the value of EFI engines (at least to commercial operators - particularly because of fuel efficiency). I am wondering if maybe I should revisit the idea though the fuel efficiency gains will be negligible to me.
Honestly I didn't really give the EFI too much thought as a positive or negative. I've spent enough time messing with carbs on everything from cars to snowmobiles to go carts and lawn equipment that I don't have any particular affinity for them. EFI has been working on every other engine for years, so I don't see why it would be bad for a mower.

And if for some odd reason it's just terrible and doesn't want to work, the Z545R has a 4 year or 500 hour bumper to bumper warranty...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've been able to mow the yard 3 times now and am really liking the new mower still. With my old 46" Dixon it took about an hour and 45 minutes to mow the whole yard. I ran the MowerPlus app on my phone this last time, and did it in 55 minutes with the new mower. About 5.7 miles total at an average of 6.2 mph it said. That's that's the kind of time savings I was looking for! And even mowing faster, it still cuts nicer than the old one.

I also finally got the backordered Mulch Control kit and was able to get that installed this past weekend. It took about 2 hours, but now that I know how to take the deck off I think I could be done in an hour or less start to finish. It would be a lot easier on a brand new deck also, I had to scrape a little bit of caked on grass just to make sure everything was sitting in there correctly.

Here's the underside of the deck before the install.

And after. This is the kit with a lever to open and close the door for either mulching or out the chute.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I've been able to mow the yard 3 times now and am really liking the new mower still.

I also finally got the backordered Mulch Control kit and was able to get that installed this past weekend. It took about 2 hours, but now that I know how to take the deck off I think I could be done in an hour or less start to finish. It would be a lot easier on a brand new deck also, I had to scrape a little bit of caked on grass just to make sure everything was sitting in there correctly.
I recently purchased a Z500 series as well and am also really liking it. I was looking at ordering the Mulch Control kit, but I have read mixed reviews with some saying it does not cut or mulch well.
Now that you have been using it, how do you find the mulch kit? Any difference in cut after changing to the mulch kit blades?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts