Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made the leap and upgraded from my Dixon SpeedZTR 46" mower to a new Z545R with a 54" deck. I did a fair bit of looking online at the various options, but I do work for Deere so admittedly my research was mostly focused on a particular brand..... This one seemed like it had some nice upgrades from my previous mower. It was tough finding one though, I called 3 different large Deere dealer chains and finally was able to track one down that was a couple hours away from me. Otherwise to order a new one with a 54" deck they were clear out to September delivery.

I went with the 54" because the 60" doesn't have the option for a bagger. I don't have any intentions to run a bagger currently, but maybe some day if I ever move. I also ordered the mulch kit, but that is on backorder like everything else these days. I didn't want to wait a month to pick up the mower, so the dealership is just going to ship that to me so I can install it myself.

I haven't mowed with it yet, we're still 3 weeks to a month away from that here. It was 60* the day I picked it up, then 30* and snowing 2 days later... I did drive it around the yard a bit though and the suspension seat is going to be one of my favorite parts I think. It starts nicely with the EFI and the electronic throttle control seems pretty slick. It's quiet and smooth, so no complaints there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats man, I picked my own Z545R on Monday, already managed to do a cut

IMG_3866.jpg

Coming from a tractor, I can tell you, it took me 15-20 minutes to get used to the controls, but once you do, it's awesome, really nimble and I find the cut quality to be superb, of course you already had a ZTR so for you it's no problem

I just find that the bagger option for it is quite small, wonder if it's a weight restriction ?

Best purchase ever !

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,804 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats man, I picked my own Z545R on Monday, already managed to do a cut

View attachment 783209

Coming from a tractor, I can tell you, it took me 15-20 minutes to get used to the controls, but once you do, it's awesome, really nimble and I find the cut quality to be superb, of course you already had a ZTR so for you it's no problem

I just find that the bagger option for it is quite small, wonder if it's a weight restriction ?

Best purchase ever !
Very Nice! More snow here yesterday, so I'll have to just stare at your pictures instead. It looks like the scenery there is a bit better anyways!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sdeadeye - what was your thinking about the EFI engine? I am looking at the Z530R and was shying away from the EFI because a carbureted engine is familiar. Also my dealer did not seem very enthusiastic about it. Since then I have read a few articles about the value of EFI engines (at least to commercial operators - particularly because of fuel efficiency). I am wondering if maybe I should revisit the idea though the fuel efficiency gains will be negligible to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sdeadeye - what was your thinking about the EFI engine? I am looking at the Z530R and was shying away from the EFI because a carbureted engine is familiar. Also my dealer did not seem very enthusiastic about it. Since then I have read a few articles about the value of EFI engines (at least to commercial operators - particularly because of fuel efficiency). I am wondering if maybe I should revisit the idea though the fuel efficiency gains will be negligible to me.
Honestly I didn't really give the EFI too much thought as a positive or negative. I've spent enough time messing with carbs on everything from cars to snowmobiles to go carts and lawn equipment that I don't have any particular affinity for them. EFI has been working on every other engine for years, so I don't see why it would be bad for a mower.

And if for some odd reason it's just terrible and doesn't want to work, the Z545R has a 4 year or 500 hour bumper to bumper warranty...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts