Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking for a 455 for awhile. I found one yesterday and pulled the trigger. It’s a 1993 with 1,240 hours. Always shed kept. It spent its life mowing 5 acres. I paid $3,000 for the mower, 60” deck and 54” front blade. As far as I can tell, the only thing it needs are new tires. It has 23” tires. Is it worth upgrading to 26” tires?

Here are some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
that's a good looking unit. Pretty clean I would leave the same size tires on it. :good2:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice machines. The smaller tires give a little lower stance, which can be an advantage under trees and shrubs. Also, the smaller tires usually came on the all-wheel steer models. If it's AWS, then you have to keep the small ones on there. I would run those tires as long as they work. Looks like there is still some life in them.

If you do replace, look at the HDAPs. Much better at not loading up with snow/mud.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
First year of Production of the 425 thru 455 all Had 23X Rear Tires regardless if it was 2WS or AWS. It wasn't Until second year of the Production that Deere went to 26X On the 445 & 455 on the 2 Wheel steer Models. Yes as stated above AWS Models all took 23X during all years of Production:bigthumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW! you did good for your first Deere, way to go!
Me personally, (and I did on my 425), I'd go with the 26" tires, they give better traction, (bigger tires roll easier) but the greatest benefit is it gives you more mower height and adjustment. I would never go back to the smaller tires. I can't imagine too many more trees to mow under and around than my lawn and it's never been a problem.
You don't just gain 3" either, I went from Carlisle 23" tires which actually measured just over 21.5" to Kenda 26" HDAP tires, which measure almost 26" (go figure), so I gained 4.5", which translates to 2.25" more mowing height. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it really is when your mowing rough ground.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I’ve been looking for a 455 for awhile. I found one yesterday and pulled the trigger. It’s a 1993 with 1,240 hours. Always shed kept. It spent its life mowing 5 acres. I paid $3,000 for the mower, 60” deck and 54” front blade. As far as I can tell, the only thing it needs are new tires. It has 23” tires. Is it worth upgrading to 26” tires?

Here are some pics.

I would have bought that for $3,000 and I already have one and certainly don't need it. But you did really, really well on your purchase.

Put the larger tires on it, but stick with the same tread design as they are excellent for the lawn and for snow. I have a 455 with all the implements except the front broom and it's a very good machine. Mine has 2,600 hours on it and it still runs great.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
$3K for that? Jeebers. When I see them around me they are double that at a minimum. Either that or they are completely junked out. That's looks like a pretty sweet machine for what you paid for it.

I betcha she'd look real purdy with a nice set of HDAP tires on her.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Very nice. I would have hopped on that too despite the wardens growling. :mocking:

Here's mine with 25 x 10.50 Carlisle All Trails and its AWS. I'd opt for the 26's and 18s on the front. It will increase your road gear too. Sully is right about the HDAP tires for mowing. I have to be careful because they can easily damage the turf. They are awsome pushing snow.:kidw_truck_smiley:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,106 Posts
Really nice looking find,, I'd go with 26" either R1 or HDAP tires.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The only thing about going to bigger tires is you have to recheck the deck level and you want to be sure the tires don't hit the deck.On my 345 I went with 24x12x12hdap's from the 23's turf.No change and plenty of clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with Carlisle All Trail in 25x10.5x12 for the rear. I’m thing of 18” v61 for the front but they are expensive. I may settle for basic turf tires for the front and save some $$.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts