Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a great deal on a 5' Woods Brush Hog picking it this morning for $200.00 and it includes a set of extra blades too! It is from a neibor that is moving near us I know. It has not been used much except when I get it I have a lot of work for it to do. Thinking of mowing for $50.00 a hour around here and maybe some grading work for extra bucks to buy toys with for my JD4044M! Pictures later of it. Did get a nice 18HP Craftsman 42" Mower to make a Lawn Tractor out of for free. It was dropped off here? Runs great after I fixed the plugged fuel problem it had in a few mins. I won't mow with it just drive around and pull a little trailer once in a while on the place fixing fences ETC. 100_1702.jpg 100_1715.jpg I was also given a 12HP one a little smaller I can mow the fence line with that runs also. When it rains it pours around here!! Had to buy new back tires for both? Tread was like new just the rubber was old and cracked!!

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Mowing for yourself with that 5ft brush hog would be one thing, but mowing for someone else would get tiring pretty quickly. I am planning on accepting a few jobs with my 10ft brush hog, but I would not even think about doing it for $50 per hour.

Dave

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I charge by the acre, so the fewer you have, the more it costs. I use the mowerplus II app to track how many acres. I just did 8 acres yesterday in about 3 hours with the 4510 and woods BB60X. Thats about $14-18/hr or so. Not bad for extra equipment funding.:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I charge by the acre, so the fewer you have, the more it costs. I use the mowerplus II app to track how many acres. I just did 8 acres yesterday in about 3 hours with the 4510 and woods BB60X. Thats about $14-18/hr or so. Not bad for extra equipment funding.:bigthumb:

Nice app. I downloaded it, but it could not find a mower for me. It seems to be more about lawn and garden tractors. I use a 110 inch RFM for my yard and have been using it for rough cut also, but now I will be using my 10ft Rhino brush hog for rough cut. I had a 6ft Rhino, but it was not big enough for me to bother with. Early in the year before the ground gets hard, I can do 10 acres an hour with the RFM at full speed in B range. Later, when the ground gets hard and rough, I have to cut down to 6MPH or so, which reduces the amount of acreage I can cut per hour. With the 10ft Rhino, I will go as fast as I can in B range, but will likely be around 5-6MPH, so about 5-6 acres an hour. This might be faster or slower, depending on what I am cutting. With these numbers, you can see why I have to charge more per hour. However, I normally charge by the job, so the customer knows in advance what his cost is going to be.

Another thing that is important: Customer must state whether there is anything in the brush that could damage my equipment. If he says no, then he is advised that if there happens to be something hidden in the brush, he is responsible for the cost of the damage. I always have the bucket on the loader when mowing a property for the first time and keep it real close to the ground (tilted up) to give warning of any stumps, etc.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a M5 Rotery Cutter

OK I picked it up not new but I still think a good deal. It is the older M5 and it is hooked to my tractor right now to try mowing with it. The PTO Shaft was not long enough cause someone had cut it to shorten it for some stupid reason?? I will get a new one later with a proper shield but I just cut and welded up the shaft 6" longer. Spun it up to PTO Speed and it was smooth or smoother then when it was to short. Just want to know how it cuts ect before putting any money into it. It came with a set of extra blades and the ones on it look OK. I might even paint mine if it runs good??? This is the model I have. woodsm53point5widerotarymower-3.jpg I will take my camera with me when I try it out after lunch.

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
For that price , even if you had to buy a set of blades that would have been a good dear.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK Here it is and yes it cuts! First for me in 21 years!!

Just had to much fun mowing but saved 60+ acres I can still do later. Cuts nice even with dull blades there now sharp. Been out mowing for a few hours and mowed the Lake Pasture down to a better eating height. I took some pictures of the area I mowed. Mowed a nice Fire Break the whole length of the property line on one side and on both sides of the side road.

I can do this all day and enjoy it long as I don't hit any ROCKS! Hit a couple small ones in 3 plus hours of mowing. Haft was in unknown tall grass and I found a couple small rocks the mower just ate for breakfast! It did make crappy tall looking pasture nice looking for eating again. The pictures are taken near the riding arena next to a area the water goes thru when it is high by the Lake. Coat of paint sure would help on the looks department? Plus I will buy a new PTO Shaft if for nothing except safety reasons it is worth it, there covered this one isn't! It would just suck in what ever got near it when spinning. Picture Problem??

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pictures not working to post for me?

Not sure why I just did one but the place I need to put it in is gone? Maybe later it will work if I refresh my computer.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,414 Posts
OK I picked it up not new but I still think a good deal. It is the older M5 and it is hooked to my tractor right now to try mowing with it. The PTO Shaft was not long enough cause someone had cut it to shorten it for some stupid reason?? I will get a new one later with a proper shield but I just cut and welded up the shaft 6" longer. Spun it up to PTO Speed and it was smooth or smoother then when it was to short. Just want to know how it cuts ect before putting any money into it. It came with a set of extra blades and the ones on it look OK. I might even paint mine if it runs good??? This is the model I have. View attachment 636448 I will take my camera with me when I try it out after lunch.
Looks nearly the same as my 35 year old M5 I run with the IH 274.
Mine has a clutch in the drivetrain however.

Rebuilt it 20 years ago, new decking installed, replaced the lower oil seal, still going strong. :good2:

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got Pictures Now!

Just had to much fun mowing but saved 60+ acres I can still do later. Cuts nice even with dull blades there now sharp. Been out mowing for a few hours and mowed the Lake Pasture down to a better eating height. I took some pictures of the area I mowed. Mowed a nice Fire Break the whole length of the property line on one side and on both sides of the side road. I was able to mow at 5 MPH+ @ 2600 RPM pretty much the whole time. 100_1751.jpg 100_1758.jpg 100_1755.jpg 100_1756.jpg 100_1759.jpg 100_1760.jpg

·
Old Pa-pa
11,414 Posts
Just had to much fun mowing but saved 60+ acres I can still do later. Cuts nice even with dull blades there now sharp. Been out mowing for a few hours and mowed the Lake Pasture down to a better eating height. I took some pictures of the area I mowed. Mowed a nice Fire Break the whole length of the property line on one side and on both sides of the side road. I was able to mow at 5 MPH+ @ 2600 RPM pretty much the whole time.
I spin mine at 2200 to 2400 engine RPM (540 - 550 PTO RPM) in high range 2nd, probably doing between 4 - 5 MPH.

In really thick, tall stuff I drop down to high range 1st, if higher than the tractor, have been known to drop
down to low range 4th or 3rd. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Put a new PTO Shaft on today boy that was fun!!! A warning to any Woods Mower and probley others using a shear pin. On the wood M5 I bought had a regular shear pin and I thought it looked real old too? Guess it never sheared one WRONG maybe it would have but the pin was not the problem it was the slip joint it was rusted together solid. I spent the better part of 2 hours with a grinder, punch, chisel, drill and hammer cutting the outside collar off that should slip if the shear pin goes! Nope and that took a long time to remove and split away from the inside part that slips onto the Gear Box Shaft. I ended up grinding away thru 3/4" of steel on both sides then splitting it. The Woods Mower used a Key in the shaft for this part! Anyway now it has been cleaned up smooth and a new PTO Shaft w/Shear Pin that can come off easy and work if it needs to shear the pin. So check and see if you can move the joint the shear pin is thru. A new PTO Shaft made the Rotary Cutter so much smoother and worth the peace of mind knowing it is not coming apart on me one day messing stuff or me up in the process!

·
Old Pa-pa
11,414 Posts
Here is a picture of the slip coupler I had to grind off the shaft on the Wood's Gear Box
Even with the clutch on mine, sheared the pin mowing some super heavy stuff a while back.
Took some PC Blaster, crow bar and ball peen hammer to get it apart.
Spent an hour or so fighting it.

Doped everything up real good with Anti Seize before going back up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Bolt disappeared on my woods. Luckily it happened when I was backing and looking back. I was able to shut down the PTO before any real damage. Drive shaft came off the gear box.

Mine has a slip clutch and has two 1/4" keys.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I will correct my PTO problem today! I sheared 2 bolts yesterday and when the first one happen it was not much of a rock but I heard it looked back noticed the blade was not turning. Stopped the tractor and replaced the bolt. Then it happen again hours later but this time I looked back and saw the PTO shaft slip back and come apart then start to fly around some! The thin chains held it somewhat but I hit the stop button on the PTO in time. So now I am on my way to get a slip clutch and tie the shaft on better to the brush hog. It is to much trouble to change the shear bolts. The slip clutch I was looking at used Grade 8 bolts so they did not shear and the slip clutch would only work and not shear the bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ordered the Slip Clutch for it. After I saw a picture of how the Woods M5 Shear Pin works I found out mine did not have a keeper ring at the end of the shaft . It held the PTO Shaft on the Brush Hog when the shear pin broke. My notch for the ring was wore off but the slip clutch will solve this. They wanted $575.00 for the part that solves it at the John Deere Dealer but it had to be ordered. I got mine ordered off Ebay same thing for $73.95 so I guess I will wait on the Ebay one a couple days longer. I like Green Parts but not the same Black Parts marked up that much???

·
Old Pa-pa
11,414 Posts
Ordered the Slip Clutch for it. After I saw a picture of how the Woods M5 Shear Pin works I found out mine did not have a keeper ring at the end of the shaft . It held the PTO Shaft on the Brush Hog when the shear pin broke. My notch for the ring was wore off but the slip clutch will solve this. They wanted $575.00 for the part that solves it at the John Deere Dealer but it had to be ordered. I got mine ordered off Ebay same thing for $73.95 so I guess I will wait on the Ebay one a couple days longer. I like Green Parts but not the same Black Parts marked up that much???
Don't know if you have the manual on yours, scanned this from mine.
Note: Woods calls for a grade 5 bolt to hold the clutch on the shaft, I go with a grade 8 myself.
I also change the two 1/4" keys out with new key stock when a bolt is sheared, you can see a little rounding on the top of the
old key stock when you shear a bolt.

Think I sheared 3 or 4 in 35 years.

Also included the clutch adjustment specs. if you don't have them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts