Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious what you all have found works best? My assumption is it would defeat the entire purpose of dethatching if you just left it sit on the grass!

I have around 3.5 acres; so I don’t want to rake! That would take awhile! Granted it’s only twice a year...but I’d assume that would take at least 3 hours...probably more.

So I see 3 options:
1. A bagging system
2. Blower
3. Lawn Sweeper

I looked at a bagger system for my x750; looks to be at least $1500. More for the 14 bushel version...or the ones that have the little trailer to carry whatever is sucked up. Obviously the most expensive option.

A blower would take a long time...albeit less time than raking; but without the manual labor. I have a creek bed that runs the entire west border of my yard so I could blow all the thatch in there.

Lawn sweeper. I found several like the agri-fab sweepers on here. $300 on amazon. 3 year warranty. Mostly good reviews but some bad. Mostly bad for pine cones and wet leaves. I’d think it would do fine for thatch. I already have a Stihl blower, so that cost has already occurred. But $300 is almost worth the try versus the $1500+ for a bagging system. HD makes one as well for around $380 I think I saw at Lowe’s. Not sure if there are better lawn sweepers around though. I’d doubt JDs version would have more than a 3 year warranty. I’d be curious how agri-fab is to deal with if something failed...I just don’t know how durable they are...if they use plastic gearing that will fail or if they make them pretty beefy. I did read a few that said you can only fill the 52” version up have way as it gets too heavy and the frame bends; which is concerning...

Curious what you all are doing to pick up the debris after you de-thatch!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
That is one of the reasons I bought the collection system for our Z950R. I pick it up with the ZTR now so I don't have to put the mower and collection system on the X585.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Get 3 48" sweepers, and rig them up with a spreader bar, so two of them are side by side and one in the back just barely overlapping the two in front. Or vice versa, one in front, two in back. 11ish feet of sweeper, would make short work of 3.5 acres.

Edit; Farm and Fleet has 42" AgriFabs sweepers for $229.

EDIT 2; If you want it to be really bad ass, run 2 dethatchers side by side in front of the 3 sweepers, and do everything in one pass.:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
I have a agrifab and it works fine. I think a 48”. I bought a TKV so it sits now but otherwise it has lasted for 10 years or more doing an acre of leaves. I have not had to get parts for it but I have for something else agrifab and if I remember right it was like my Fimco. A woman in the Midwest who spoke english and knew how to do her job. Kind of like going to a McDonald’s 50 miles from a city, someone working because they want too.

EDIT 2; If you want it to be really bad ass, run 2 dethatchers side by side in front of the 3 sweepers, and do everything in one pass.:cool:
Now that is an excellent justification of the cost of the TKV. 😂

Reactions: SRG

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I use a 880 trac-vac behind a 430 with a 60” deck and a dethatcher on the front of the tractor.
I have about the same amount of yard as you do.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Bagger on my x739 - I dethatched a 6500 sq. ft section last year with a Bluebird lawn comber and sucked up FIVE 14bu loads doing a lawn renovation. That job alone totally justified having a bagging system, as if the massive fall leaf pileups here weren't enough, the dethatch job was just eye popping. This using the 14bu Superior Tech setup that allows for dump-from-seat, even the trio-of-bags version would have been a little work......

Reactions: tankerpilot01

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd go for some sort of collection system, either a Power Flow, or a pull-behind with its own engine. Over time, it will pay for itself, not only for thatch pickup, but leaf collection as well. I have a PowerFlow on my 2520, and had one on my X748.
DR Equipment's pull behind is very robust, the collection trailer folds up for storage, and it also has a manual collection hose for sucking up piles of leaves or corners you can't drive in due to space.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Lawn sweeper for us. Had been borrowing my folks but went and bought our own last sunday. Only a couple areas I need it.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I had a sweeper 50" Ohio steel from TSC worked great and only sold it because I got a powered bagger. Easy to use, works well would definitely recommend 2nd to a MCS/powered bagger for picking up thatch and leaves. Baggers are 💰💰 but the best option.

Reactions: tankerpilot01

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Got a used PF and chute from my dealer. Built a box for my 18 cart and bought a 8" flex tube. I have about $350 in it.
IMG_2167.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts