Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked up "picture editing" in the App Store and got over 400 results...dadgum.

Can anyone recommend a simple app that will allow me to edit pictures like make circles and add text within the photo? I used Paint on my last computer and it worked pretty good. Fairly simple, easy to use, but it left something on the table. I don't need Photoshop either. :laugh:

Please, let's not turn this into an Apple vs Microsoft or 'here's what I use but it doesn't work for your computer' thread.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
... a simple app that will allow me to edit pictures like make circles and add text within the photo?
The "paint" equivalent in the Mac world is preview. Once you have an image opened up, go to TOOLS | ANNOTATE and you'll have a several options to draw objects and add text. Under VIEW | SHOW MARKUP TOOLBAR (shift+CMD+A) and you'll have the tool bar to quickly choose methods to annotate.

What do you think, will that work?

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Interesting. I just looked, it's not there as the article suggests... I'm running El Capitan. They must've removed that feature.
I'm using El Capitan, and preview is (or should have been) installed by default. Try this, press command+spacebar (loads spotlight) and start typing preview. The default install location is the applications directory.

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Another hidden gem buried within this new system I'm learning. I appreciate you guys pointing me around. :bigbeer:

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that didn't work.... I tried opening preview. It seemed to work until it locked up. I force-quitted it, reported the issue, now it won't open a photo without crashing. Back to the drawing board. No pun intended.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Well, that didn't work.... I tried opening preview. It seemed to work until it locked up. I force-quitted it, reported the issue, now it won't open a photo without crashing. Back to the drawing board. No pun intended.
That's odd, I use it for all quick and dirty editing. Try quitting all apps and restarting?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts
My oldest daughter does photo editing all the time on her MAC (a side business for her). She just left for work but I'll ask her.

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
Can anyone recommend a simple app that will allow me to edit pictures like make circles and add text within the photo? I used Paint on my last computer and it worked pretty good. Fairly simple, easy to use, but it left something on the table. I don't need Photoshop either. :laugh:
It sounds like what you really need is an annotation program. I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend SnagIt. It can do basic editing but primarily it is a screen capture program with extensive annotation features. Circles, arrows, callouts, speech balloons, etc. You can grab an image off your screen or open a file on your hard drive. It can save images to most file formats.

It is available for PC and MAC for $49.95

I use the PC version and while I do have the full blown version of Photoshop for serious editing, SnagIt is my go-to application when I'm editing/annotating photos for forums like GTT.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Jason,

Right-click on any image file and look at the Open With menu. Preview should be an option, and should also be the default. Open it with Preview and you should be in good shape.

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strange. I can open a image that was texted to me, and it opens in Preview. However, when I open photos and right click on an image, there is no option to 'open in Preview'. It's almost like I'm not allowed to open my own pictures in Preview?

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rebooted the computer. Then the internet browser didn't want to work. Shut it down and restarted the browser. Works good now. Tried Preview. Yup. It works now. Edited a picture for giggles and went to save it so I could post it here. Yeah, now I just get the turning color wheel anytime I move the cursor over the window. Seems like Preview locked up again.

I like this machine, but it sure doesn't act like everyone claims Macs do. It doesn't 'just work.' It may have to go back if it doesn't straighten out pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Strange. I can open a image that was texted to me, and it opens in Preview. However, when I open photos and right click on an image, there is no option to 'open in Preview'. It's almost like I'm not allowed to open my own pictures in Preview?
What file extension do your images have? .JPG or .PNG are typical and what are the file extensions sent to you?

Locate one of your own pictures, then command+I. One of the options in the drop down should be "Open with:" from the drop down list and see if you can find Preview. You might have to navigate to it in your applications directory and find it there. Click "Change All" and you should be good.

1.png

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It doesn't have that option, just the meta data for the photo. No options on "what to open with" or set any defaults.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
It doesn't have that option, just the meta data for the photo. No options on "what to open with" or set any defaults.
Can you see the file extension?

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you see the file extension?
Yes, sorry 'bout that. They're all jpegs. I can get it to open a picture now. I'll try yet again to edit one and see if it'll save.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
What you're describing is certainly not the norm. What specific machine and specs (Apple menu, About This Mac) do you have and where did you buy it?

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mac mini OS X El Capitan 10.11.2
It was a gift, brand new.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
What are the specs, though?

My MacBook Air is 2GHz dual Intel Core i7 CPUs, 8GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD drive. I also have an Intel graphics card. I spec'ed it this way because I ask it to do some reasonable "work" with what I do for a living.

If you are lacking in memory, have a slower CPU, and are also running a mechanical drive, all three of those would contribute to slower performance. And, since graphics editing is CPU and memory intensive, you definitely would want those to be a little heftier in the specs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts