Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Now that we are on this subject does anyone make a jack that fits in the stake pockets like the one "theduke" shows? I am not a welder and have not found one.

Doug
Do you have any pics you could post of your 2x4 pockets? That's a great idea for fabricating some Jack's.

Dave B.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lived in Charlston twice....Dad is ret. Sub Captain.
Don't remember much except chasing the Mosquito sprayer Truck on our Bikes......explains a bit of my mental.
I do remember Dad calling me Beaufort or whatever....must not have been too far away.....I was in my single digits then.

Post a pic of these stake pockets on your trailer....got some ideas
You can't forget the mosquito trucks. Massive fog coming out the back. You could always tell when they've been out spraying.

I won't be able to post my 2x4 pockets until I get out of work. I'll be home around 4:00am. But all snap some when I get home.

Dave B.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cross drilled C-channel with a pin would make a decent dead leg for cheap.

Any machine shop / trailer repair place should be able to weld a jack base onto a trailer.

I wouldn't use a stake pocket on a car hauler, they are usually not very thick nor welded on both sides.

·
Registered
2005 3320 with FEL, 1978 AC 5020 FEL, 2000 Bobcat 763
98 Posts
When I had my ramp trailer, I simply carried some 2x wood and placed it at the rear of the trailer between the ramps and the ground. I left a little room for it to flex when loading. It also let me know when I had the load far enough forward if I could just slip the 2x out from under the trailer edge.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Having drop in jacks for the stake pockets on the back of a trailer is a great idea! Someone may make them... I have several friends with swing away jacks welded to the rear of their trailers, works like a charm!

My equipment trailer has "mega ramps" and they pretty much support the back of the trailer when loading, not quite as good as jacks but darn close. They look something like this:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
97 Posts
picture almost looks like what could happen if you try to move a large travel trailer behind a subcompact tractor on a slight slope.:unsure: couldn't resist.....

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Gotta ask…are those the straps you use to tie down tractor?
They look a little light for that application
IMHO

Reactions: Lowcountrydave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
When I had my ramp trailer, I simply carried some 2x wood and placed it at the rear of the trailer between the ramps and the ground. I left a little room for it to flex when loading. It also let me know when I had the load far enough forward if I could just slip the 2x out from under the trailer edge.
For a temporary solution I have some scrap 6x6 post pieces all cut to length. Should do well until I figure out what I want. I definitely like the idea of being able to jack the trailer up enough for a tire change.

Dave B.
Gotta ask…are those the straps you use to tie down tractor?
They look a little light for that application
IMHO
The 4 orange straps that are 2" wide are each 1,000 lb. So 4 straps for just the tractor. 4,000 capacity. FEL has 2 green straps. Each rated at 500 lb. So 1,000 for just the loader. Backhoe has 1 green strap rated at 500 lbs. I don't believe it's going anywhere, lol! I'm kinda a safety nut when I do things.

Dave B.
something like this could work. Appears they can be bolted on.

Those do look promising.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
If you are buying some useful accessories for your trailer, this is a very handy one to have with tandem or triple axle trailers. Change tires without a jack.....Also serves as a wheel chock in a bind, using the front edge.

If the trailer has a flat, stop along the road and loosen the lug nuts, pull the trailer tire ahread or behind the flat up onto this item and you can be back on the road in minutes with no jack, etc. I always carried a floor jack in my trailer tool box just to be safe, but this is a great way to remedy flat tires along side the road. I had one mounted in each of my enclosed trailers and used them several times. c

The bottom edge is serrated to prevent it sliding on pavement or smooth surfaces. Used properly, works very easily and its safer to not have to get under the trailer to change the flat tire.............

They also make a mounting bracket which holds the trailer aide vertically for storage.

Here is the base model

This is their "Plus Model" or whatever they call it. Some come with a bracket to mount it vertically on inside wall of enclosed trailer, etc. This is one of those things that once you have used it, you wonder why you didn't think of it and also you don't want to be without it. Also, carry a 4 way so you have the wrench for the lugs when needed.

Not only do about 1 in 10 open utility or equipment trailers carry a spare tire, even fewer carry a lug wrench which fits the lug nuts. The heavier the open equipment trailer, the greater the probability of there being a spare tire mounted on the trailer.

Generally, most trailers with 10k or higher load capability carry spare tires.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
If you are buying some useful accessories for your trailer, this is a very handy one to have with tandem or triple axle trailers. Change tires without a jack.....Also serves as a wheel chock in a bind, using the front edge.

If the trailer has a flat, stop along the road and loosen the lug nuts, pull the trailer tire ahread or behind the flat up onto this item and you can be back on the road in minutes with no jack, etc. I always carried a floor jack in my trailer tool box just to be safe, but this is a great way to remedy flat tires along side the road. I had one mounted in each of my enclosed trailers and used them several times. c

The bottom edge is serrated to prevent it sliding on pavement or smooth surfaces. Used properly, works very easily and its safer to not have to get under the trailer to change the flat tire.............

They also make a mounting bracket which holds the trailer aide vertically for storage.

Here is the base model

This is their "Plus Model" or whatever they call it. Some come with a bracket to mount it vertically on inside wall of enclosed trailer, etc. This is one of those things that once you have used it, you wonder why you didn't think of it and also you don't want to be without it. Also, carry a 4 way so you have the wrench for the lugs when needed.

Not only do about 1 in 10 open utility or equipment trailers carry a spare tire, even fewer carry a lug wrench which fits the lug nuts. The heavier the open equipment trailer, the greater the probability of there being a spare tire mounted on the trailer.

Generally, most trailers with 10k or higher load capability carry spare tires.
I just cut a bevel on a multipurpose 6x6

·
Registered
631 Posts
This is what I use.
Can just pop them off so they don't grow legs.
My other non tilt crane trailer has weld on units...all 4 corners...makes it real easy to change a tire when needed.

View attachment 821175

Oh yea....Nice Truck...I miss mine.
Ditto on my trailer. Two 7,000 pounders on the back when loading the heavy stuff. The 1025R, ATV, or UTV are not heavy enough to lift truck. The 5075E is however as well as miniexes..

·
Registered
1 Posts
A pair of jack stands under the rear of the cross member of the trailer and wheel chocks will go a long way in preventing trailer tilt and truck pushing. They can be carried in the truck or a mounted box on the trailer. Putting the truck in gear or park (if automatic) could harm the transmission. But do set the parking brake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My coworker did the same thing, but his nice Ram didn't fair so well. He was driving a medium size antique tractor on to his trailer with it parked downhill. He had the wherewithal to keep going until the weight of the tractor got far enough forward to bring it all to a stop. Unfortunately, the truck ran over a sign and did $2000 worth of damage. Fortunately for me, as I was winching a very heavy 10x12 shed on to a tilt deck trailer, I remembered his mishap and looked at the rear tires on my 1 ton pickup. They were nearly off the ground! Luckily for me, I had the truck and trailer parked uphill. Be careful out there! Jevers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
A pair of jack stands under the rear of the cross member of the trailer and wheel chocks will go a long way in preventing trailer tilt and truck pushing. They can be carried in the truck or a mounted box on the trailer. Putting the truck in gear or park (if automatic) could harm the transmission. But do set the parking brake.
All very good advice! Today I used 2 6x6 blocks under the tail and faired well. It will work until I decide which option I want.

Thanks
Dave B
My coworker did the same thing, but his nice Ram didn't fair so well. He was driving a medium size antique tractor on to his trailer with it parked downhill. He had the wherewithal to keep going until the weight of the tractor got far enough forward to bring it all to a stop. Unfortunately, the truck ran over a sign and did $2000 worth of damage. Fortunately for me, as I was winching a very heavy 10x12 shed on to a tilt deck trailer, I remembered his mishap and looked at the rear tires on my 1 ton pickup. They were nearly off the ground! Luckily for me, I had the truck and trailer parked uphill. Be careful out there! Jevers
I never realized the rear truck tires were coming off the ground. Now I know. Sorry to hear about the Ram. Take it easy.

Dave B.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts