5K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Lowcountrydave 
#1 ·
Who can tell me what this is the result of? 😆
Plant Tire Wheel Sky Plant community

See less See more
  • Wow
Reactions: 99f250
#5 ·
I wish I could blame it on my son but he's only 9. And I'm happy he didn't witness this fun. But I definitely learned something. Even. Slight decline can cause all this fun.

Dave B.

#3 ·
Someone has NO drop legs on the rear of their trailer.

Chocking the trailer wheels may have helped.

Hows the truck?

#4 ·
Trucks fine no contact when the rear wheels came back down, lol! But even with being in 1st gear and the parking brake set. I literally rode to that position on the trailer. Right after I cleared the ramps we were riding! Thank God it set down and that the truck wheels were slightly turned left or we were approaching the pond edge.

A slight decline caused this fun. Never again! Lesson thoroughly learned. Typically I'm on a flat section in the yard.

Dave B.

#6 ·
Been there and did it with a Samurai.

Put truck in 4x4 next time.

Block rear of trailer or install swing jacks.

This is one reason I switched to tilt decks
The other...I hate heavy ramps.

#7 ·
Well the good part is you started a thread and did not have to post it in the expensive lessons thread.

#10 ·
This is what I use.
Can just pop them off so they don't grow legs.
My other non tilt crane trailer has weld on units...all 4 corners...makes it real easy to change a tire when needed.

Wheel Machine Computer monitor accessory Gas Metal

Oh yea....Nice Truck...I miss mine.

#34 · (Edited)
This is what I use.
Can just pop them off so they don't grow legs.
My other non tilt crane trailer has weld on units...all 4 corners...makes it real easy to change a tire when needed.

View attachment 821175

Oh yea....Nice Truck...I miss mine.
Ditto on my trailer. Two 7,000 pounders on the back when loading the heavy stuff. The 1025R, ATV, or UTV are not heavy enough to lift truck. The 5075E is however as well as miniexes..

#11 ·
What's the brand? Also do you weld the pin on the trailer or is it somehow bolts to the trailer? Obviously still being able to remove the jack.

I got my first flat last week. Didn't realize until I pulled in the carport. Ran over a sliver of bone from some roadkill. I was able to pull it out and plug it.

Dave B.

#12 ·
No clue on brand.

There is a short slice of pipe that welds to frame.

Jack can be pinned vertical or horizontal....I just pull them so they don't rattle and eat paint off the trailer.
All brands "should" be the same universal "mount"...I think its 2" could be atouch bigger.

Tractor supply has them.......There are other types that bolt on but your trailer looks decked so they likely won't work....My saw mill traler has 8 of these just to keep it all level...flimsey trailer but light and has no deck so there is frame exposed to bolt these on. Harbor freight had these on sale for 21 bux or whatever....hard to beat.

Bicycle fork Bicycle part Automotive tire Line Bicycle frame

#14 ·
Where is Low Country?

You got me curious now.

#16 ·
Now that we are on this subject does anyone make a jack that fits in the stake pockets like the one "theduke" shows? I am not a welder and have not found one.

Doug

#19 ·
Do you remember the park in Beaufort it was Called Pigeon Point Park. It's now been updated. But way back when I was in kindergarten through 2nd grade the park had an old F-86 and maybe one other aircraft gutted of course. But we use to crawl through the fuselage and play. Great memories!

Dave B.

#20 ·
Lived in Charlston twice....Dad is ret. Sub Captain.
Don't remember much except chasing the Mosquito sprayer Truck on our Bikes......explains a bit of my mental.
I do remember Dad calling me Beaufort or whatever....must not have been too far away.....I was in my single digits then.

Post a pic of these stake pockets on your trailer....got some ideas

#22 ·
You can't forget the mosquito trucks. Massive fog coming out the back. You could always tell when they've been out spraying.

I won't be able to post my 2x4 pockets until I get out of work. I'll be home around 4:00am. But all snap some when I get home.

Dave B.

#30 ·
For a temporary solution I have some scrap 6x6 post pieces all cut to length. Should do well until I figure out what I want. I definitely like the idea of being able to jack the trailer up enough for a tire change.

Dave B.
Gotta ask…are those the straps you use to tie down tractor?
They look a little light for that application
IMHO
The 4 orange straps that are 2" wide are each 1,000 lb. So 4 straps for just the tractor. 4,000 capacity. FEL has 2 green straps. Each rated at 500 lb. So 1,000 for just the loader. Backhoe has 1 green strap rated at 500 lbs. I don't believe it's going anywhere, lol! I'm kinda a safety nut when I do things.

Dave B.
something like this could work. Appears they can be bolted on.

Those do look promising.

Dave B.

Reactions: fdmars
#26 ·
Having drop in jacks for the stake pockets on the back of a trailer is a great idea! Someone may make them... I have several friends with swing away jacks welded to the rear of their trailers, works like a charm!

My equipment trailer has "mega ramps" and they pretty much support the back of the trailer when loading, not quite as good as jacks but darn close. They look something like this:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

#29 ·
Gotta ask…are those the straps you use to tie down tractor?
They look a little light for that application
IMHO

Reactions: Lowcountrydave
#31 ·
If you are buying some useful accessories for your trailer, this is a very handy one to have with tandem or triple axle trailers. Change tires without a jack.....Also serves as a wheel chock in a bind, using the front edge.

If the trailer has a flat, stop along the road and loosen the lug nuts, pull the trailer tire ahread or behind the flat up onto this item and you can be back on the road in minutes with no jack, etc. I always carried a floor jack in my trailer tool box just to be safe, but this is a great way to remedy flat tires along side the road. I had one mounted in each of my enclosed trailers and used them several times. c

The bottom edge is serrated to prevent it sliding on pavement or smooth surfaces. Used properly, works very easily and its safer to not have to get under the trailer to change the flat tire.............

They also make a mounting bracket which holds the trailer aide vertically for storage.

Here is the base model

This is their "Plus Model" or whatever they call it. Some come with a bracket to mount it vertically on inside wall of enclosed trailer, etc. This is one of those things that once you have used it, you wonder why you didn't think of it and also you don't want to be without it. Also, carry a 4 way so you have the wrench for the lugs when needed.

Not only do about 1 in 10 open utility or equipment trailers carry a spare tire, even fewer carry a lug wrench which fits the lug nuts. The heavier the open equipment trailer, the greater the probability of there being a spare tire mounted on the trailer.

Generally, most trailers with 10k or higher load capability carry spare tires.

#32 ·
If you are buying some useful accessories for your trailer, this is a very handy one to have with tandem or triple axle trailers. Change tires without a jack.....Also serves as a wheel chock in a bind, using the front edge.

If the trailer has a flat, stop along the road and loosen the lug nuts, pull the trailer tire ahread or behind the flat up onto this item and you can be back on the road in minutes with no jack, etc. I always carried a floor jack in my trailer tool box just to be safe, but this is a great way to remedy flat tires along side the road. I had one mounted in each of my enclosed trailers and used them several times. c

The bottom edge is serrated to prevent it sliding on pavement or smooth surfaces. Used properly, works very easily and its safer to not have to get under the trailer to change the flat tire.............

They also make a mounting bracket which holds the trailer aide vertically for storage.

Here is the base model

This is their "Plus Model" or whatever they call it. Some come with a bracket to mount it vertically on inside wall of enclosed trailer, etc. This is one of those things that once you have used it, you wonder why you didn't think of it and also you don't want to be without it. Also, carry a 4 way so you have the wrench for the lugs when needed.

Not only do about 1 in 10 open utility or equipment trailers carry a spare tire, even fewer carry a lug wrench which fits the lug nuts. The heavier the open equipment trailer, the greater the probability of there being a spare tire mounted on the trailer.

Generally, most trailers with 10k or higher load capability carry spare tires.
I just cut a bevel on a multipurpose 6x6

#35 ·
A pair of jack stands under the rear of the cross member of the trailer and wheel chocks will go a long way in preventing trailer tilt and truck pushing. They can be carried in the truck or a mounted box on the trailer. Putting the truck in gear or park (if automatic) could harm the transmission. But do set the parking brake.

#37 ·
All very good advice! Today I used 2 6x6 blocks under the tail and faired well. It will work until I decide which option I want.

Thanks
Dave B
My coworker did the same thing, but his nice Ram didn't fair so well. He was driving a medium size antique tractor on to his trailer with it parked downhill. He had the wherewithal to keep going until the weight of the tractor got far enough forward to bring it all to a stop. Unfortunately, the truck ran over a sign and did $2000 worth of damage. Fortunately for me, as I was winching a very heavy 10x12 shed on to a tilt deck trailer, I remembered his mishap and looked at the rear tires on my 1 ton pickup. They were nearly off the ground! Luckily for me, I had the truck and trailer parked uphill. Be careful out there! Jevers
I never realized the rear truck tires were coming off the ground. Now I know. Sorry to hear about the Ram. Take it easy.

Dave B.

Reactions: rtgt
#36 ·
My coworker did the same thing, but his nice Ram didn't fair so well. He was driving a medium size antique tractor on to his trailer with it parked downhill. He had the wherewithal to keep going until the weight of the tractor got far enough forward to bring it all to a stop. Unfortunately, the truck ran over a sign and did $2000 worth of damage. Fortunately for me, as I was winching a very heavy 10x12 shed on to a tilt deck trailer, I remembered his mishap and looked at the rear tires on my 1 ton pickup. They were nearly off the ground! Luckily for me, I had the truck and trailer parked uphill. Be careful out there! Jevers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.