Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The orchard got the 4th spray of the season and the trees are at full bloom right now. It is real pretty IMHO and smells good to boot.

The bloom didn't stand out as well as I would have liked, the sun was very bright today.

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Vegetation
Plant Tire Wheel Natural landscape Vegetation
Plant Green Tree Slope Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Natural environment Tree Land lot
Plant Land lot Agriculture Tree Groundcover
Plant Tire Wheel Nature Natural environment
Plant Plant community Branch Tree Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Flower Botany Tree
Plant Plant community Green Hedge Land lot
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Vegetation Land lot

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More:

I apologize for the weeds between the rows in the orchard, but the trees are very sensitive to herbicides this time of year and the violets are a real %&*%.
Plant Plant community Tree Hedge Land lot
Plant Tree Hedge Natural landscape Land lot
Plant Land lot Tree Hedge Natural landscape
Plant Green Natural landscape Tree Shade
Plant Tree Grass Groundcover Flowering plant
Flower Plant Tree Grass Groundcover
Flower Plant Tree Branch Grass
Plant Flower Plant community Grass Shade
Plant Sky Botany Natural landscape Tree
Plant Green Natural landscape Grass Tree

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Nice place you got there!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How far apart do you plant your trees? The orchard looks fabulous.
Very well organized.

The industry standard is 11' x 36".

Seems like I went with 12' rows until towards the top. The space was not exactly square so they are 11' on one end angling to 13' by the other end. It is so gradual you don't see it until mowing.

Reactions: KennyP and JDLTG

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice! A lot of work went in to that. Beautiful.

There was a lot more to it than the pictures you just saw. It started with cutting down and having a mini EX to remove the standard sized apple trees I had.

Salvaged the 8' high tensile deer fencing from a commercial deer farm. Pulled all the staples, (5 gallon pail plus), pulled all the posts and rolled up the fencing and brought home. Got it for 1/5 what it was worth along with 4 sixteen foot gates.

Then building 1,000' of high tensile deer proof orchard fencing. Put all the posts in by hand with a Seymore post hole auger.

I salvaged 12.5 gauge wire from a former fence that did not work. Also high tensile on 9" spacing, the deer went right through it. This was used for some of the trellis.

It keeps me going, there is always something to do.

Spent half the day rebuilding a small 55 gallon sprayer today with a new 6 roller pump.

Right after taking the pics the trees got the 4th spray of the season.

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts
There was a lot more to it than the pictures you just saw. It started with cutting down and having a mini EX to remove the standard sized apple trees I had.

Salvaged the 8' high tensile deer fencing from a commercial deer farm. Pulled all the staples, (5 gallon pail plus), pulled all the posts and rolled up the fencing and brought home. Got it for 1/5 what it was worth along with 4 sixteen foot gates.

Then building 1,000' of high tensile deer proof orchard fencing. Put all the posts in by hand with a Seymore post hole auger.

I salvaged 12.5 gauge wire from a former fence that did not work. Also high tensile on 9" spacing, the deer went right through it. This was used for some of the trellis.

Spent half the day rebuilding a small 55 gallon sprayer today with a new 6 roller pump.

Very nice, but I have no idea how we're going to get over those weeds! I didn't even see any!!!! (y)

·
Registered
79 Posts

All your hard work shows! It's gotta be very rewarding, nice job.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Beautiful orchard! Having it lawn grade in between and the slope.... stunning.
I want to pack a picnic - some cheese, baguette, a nice wine.....i think i need bring the family over!
Funny you should say that, most wineries here in Oregon look just like his orchard and grass. But the trees are rows of grapes.

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny you should say that, most wineries here in Oregon look just like his orchard and grass. But the trees are rows of grapes.

When I started on this project, passersby's thought it was grapes.

Reactions: tj1 and JDLTG

·
Registered
466 Posts
Grapes or fruit trees... doesnt matter.... picnic time!!!

Btw - i had the grape setup mentioned... in my own backyard.... and then the japanese beetles showed up. I fought with them for 4-5yrs and gave up. Ripped up the grape vines...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grapes or fruit trees... doesnt matter.... picnic time!!!

Btw - i had the grape setup mentioned... in my own backyard.... and then the japanese beetles showed up. I fought with them for 4-5yrs and gave up. Ripped up the grape vines...

Japanese beetles are pretty easy to control. When they show up around the 2nd week of June, 3 oz. of Imidacloprid in the spray tank just smokes em. The cost for this additional chemical is around a $1/ounce, pretty cheap.

By contrast, the general insecticide that is used all season, N-(Mercaptomethyl) phthalimlde, is used at 3#s per acre.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Orchard primarily, but you can share your lawn routine as well!
What type of grass is it? Fescue is what I am trying to establish.

As I said, the orchard is extremely complicated but it is now based on what is called the NEWA predictive model. NEWA is a 24/7 array of weather stations that record weather events and then use this data to start "clocks" on prevalent pests based on a model.
Home

So rather than basing sprays on a calendar, now things are tailored for when it is needed and pointed at a specific pest whether it be fungal or insect. The former is much more of a challenge.

As far as the lawn, I don't know what it is. I had a very small lawn care company that I closed this year. My philosophy is pretty simple. Do what golf courses do for maintaining rough. Don't let weeds start, address them if they do, use good fertilizer and most important, set your mower as high as it will go, 4" is a good height. (BTW, don't thatch your lawn unless you really want crabgrass to take off. Golf courses don't do this)

The grass got away from me a little as I always wait till the weeds if any are actively growing before spraying for broadleaf control. Due this before the grass is mowed the 1st time because much more surface area of the weed is available for the herbicide. I also throw in pre-emergent at the same time. I like Prodiamine which is in Barricade fertilizer. The grass was mighty long when I mowed and the mower was set at 4.25" on the 1st mow of the year which is really long for this time of the season. I'll mow again soon @ 3.75" and it will look much better.

Reactions: tj1
1 - 20 of 23 Posts