Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is going to be my first extra purchase for my 3032E. I have a small lawn care business on the side and I have one place that I could definitely use one of these. Every time we get a large amount of rain, the property floods pretty bad. Lots of debris floats out of the beaver pond and leaves a nasty row of debris on the lawn.
So with that being said, Which pine straw rake would you recommend and why?
From the looks of it, both appear very similar. I have read a few reviews of the quality being much better on the Everything Attachments model, but I guess my main question is; Are they both going to perform the same, or is one going to clean up better than the other? I'm sure you can see why I'm asking this when you compare the prices of the two. One is half the price of the other.
I'm brand spanking new to tractors so thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm confident that they will both perform the same. The quality of the rake isn't important...it's the quality of the tines. I looked at EA, Field Tuff, and Titan. I bought the Field Tuff rake, but wish I'd bought the Titan. That said, that cheap Field Tuff rake has been bulletproof. I've used it a LOT re-grading and re-seeding my lawn and I haven't even broken a tine.

I'm sure the EA rake is excellent, but is WAY more money than I needed or wanted to spend on a device that simple.

One caveat....if you use a quick hitch, make sure whatever you get will fit it. My Field Tuff didn't fit my iMatch. I ultimately did figure a way to address that, and it works FAR better for me than hooking it up to the 3 pt ... I just welded in a piece of 2" square tubing and use it with the receiver hitch that sits on my iMatch 98 % of the time. That may not be an option with EA or Titan but the thing would work great if it fits your quick hitch. With the receiver hitch and the iMatch, I don't really need any weights.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The above is my exact reasoning for going with the Titan pine straw rake over EA. Same design, big price diff. I would have loved to have been able to justify the EA cost, but I just couldn't.
IMAG0978.jpg

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The above is my exact reasoning for going with the Titan pine straw rake over EA. Same design, big price diff. I would have loved to have been able to justify the EA cost, but I just couldn't.
Looks to me like you could weld in some 2" square tubing .83 wall thickness in the same way that I did and use it with a standard 2" receiver hitch mounted on an iMatch. Not that you need to, but I'm a big fan of just backing up to an attachment and hooking it up with a minimum of fuss. Easiest, I found, was using the attachments with an iMatch or other quick-hitch. Next easiest is the 2" receiver. I found the monkeying around with hooking up side arms and adjusting/connecting the top link to be a nuisance. If the Titan fits an iMatch...bonus!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Looks to me like you could weld in some 2" square tubing .83 wall thickness in the same way that I did and use it with a standard 2" receiver hitch mounted on an iMatch. Not that you need to, but I'm a big fan of just backing up to an attachment and hooking it up with a minimum of fuss. Easiest, I found, was using the attachments with an iMatch or other quick-hitch. Next easiest is the 2" receiver. I found the monkeying around with hooking up side arms and adjusting/connecting the top link to be a nuisance. If the Titan fits an iMatch...bonus!

That pic was (EDIT; during assembly of the rake) on my, now sold, Kubota. I use Pat's EZ Change system on my Deere. Works great.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a Titan rake and for me it works great. It's a little rough around the edges finish wise but it works just like it should.

I had to modify mine so it would fit my quick hitch but that was very easy. All I did was enlarge the bottom pin holes to 1". The weight of the quick hitch adds plenty of downforce to the rake.

It works great for thatching my lawn and also does a great job of prepping a lawn for overseeding. Never actually used it for pine needles.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I have the EA 72” pine straw rake and I use it for spring cleanup and lawn thatching. Really works great!
Sincerely

·
Registered
25 Posts
How well do you guys think a pine straw rake would do for raking up tall cut grass? I've got about an acre plus of 1-2 foot tall grass that we brush hog to set up an archery range for the boy scouts. I'd like to rake up the grass so it's easier to find the arrows which miss the targets. Here's a pic of the cut grass. This was from a few years ago when the old tractor broke down just before we needed it. This walk behind mini brush hog actually did a pretty good job, but what an exhausting day.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
How well do you guys think a pine straw rake would do for raking up tall cut grass? I've got about an acre plus of 1-2 foot tall grass that we brush hog to set up an archery range for the boy scouts. I'd like to rake up the grass so it's easier to find the arrows which miss the targets. Here's a pic of the cut grass. This was from a few years ago when the old tractor broke down just before we needed it. This walk behind mini brush hog actually did a pretty good job, but what an exhausting day.

View attachment 727953
I think it would do great!
Sincerely

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think this is going to be my first extra purchase for my 3032E. I have a small lawn care business on the side and I have one place that I could definitely use one of these. Every time we get a large amount of rain, the property floods pretty bad. Lots of debris floats out of the beaver pond and leaves a nasty row of debris on the lawn.
So with that being said, Which pine straw rake would you recommend and why?
What types of debris and how big? If it's anything larger than a broomstick, or the stuff is matted and stuck in mud, you may be disappointed in a pinestraw rake for cleanup. The tines have a lot of give, won't dig hardly at all, and when the load in front of the tines gets heavy, the stuff rolls out from under the rake. They are okay for small sticks, leaves and very light stuff, and make a great arena drag to level a surface, but sounds like you may need a landscape rake for what you want to do. Much heavier implement, stiffer tines, and made for dragging heavier material. Generally, a lot more expensive than a pine straw rake. Got any pictures of the mess you want to clean up?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I went with the titan, and I have found that the tines will "wander" when being used. I have a couple spots on mine where three tines end up grouping at the tips and all raking the same spot. I would guess the tolerances are tighter on the EA, and you probably wouldn't have this problem. It works for my use as a homeowner, but I wouldn't say it delivers professional results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What types of debris and how big? If it's anything larger than a broomstick, or the stuff is matted and stuck in mud, you may be disappointed in a pinestraw rake for cleanup. The tines have a lot of give, won't dig hardly at all, and when the load in front of the tines gets heavy, the stuff rolls out from under the rake. They are okay for small sticks, leaves and very light stuff, and make a great arena drag to level a surface, but sounds like you may need a landscape rake for what you want to do. Much heavier implement, stiffer tines, and made for dragging heavier material. Generally, a lot more expensive than a pine straw rake. Got any pictures of the mess you want to clean up?
sticks from twig size up to as big around as my forearm (usually less than 2' long), mulch type material, leaves and misc trash

·
Registered
146 Posts

View attachment 727953
I used my Titan 60" Pine Needle Rake last summer on my daughter's lawn that was about 2.5' tall. It worked to clean it up, but, because it was so wet, the grass bunched up and got so heavy to pull through all at once. So I had to make several passes through it to get it cleared up. Yours looks dry so it would work better … IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts