Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 20 huge eastern white pines along my 125' driveway and up into the back yard. They belong to my neighbor and we've been trying for years to get them removed with no luck.

Anyway, they shed needles like nothing I've ever seen. All over the driveway and lawn. I have to clean my gutters about every 3 months. Over the past week they've fallen so hard that you can't see the driveway.

Normally I blow them back under the trees but now that I'm getting a 1025R I'm thing about a pine straw rake. My question is will the rake damage the driveway? I'm ok with some scuff marks but don't want to start tearing up asphalt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a pine needle rake and I use it for my weeping willow trees. Not sure if I'd use it on my driveway; hard on the rake, noisy and through time it would dislodge any loose pieces of asphalt. It starts to tare out my lawn if I run over the same spot too many times.

You wouldn't like the price but you'd be better with a broom that goes on the front of the tractor.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The tines on the pine straw rake will scratch your drive way but are nowhere near stiff enough to damage it.

I use my pine rake as a dethatcher. It doesn't even hurt the grass.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have pavers on my drive. I'd say go for it. You can use less down force by adjusting your 3 ph. As I start to gather the needles, the more that are being collected, the more the rake starts to pick up. If you don't mind your drive being perfectly clean, going over it once lightly will get most of them off. I drag them onto an old blue tarp and then pull the tarp to my compost pile. It works well for me.

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have two (2) rakes and wouldn't be without them. One is a landscape rake, and the other is a pine straw rake.

I bought the pine straw rake from tractor supply. There is a link below, but not of the Countyline rake I bought.

The best thing about a PSR is the ability to de-thatch, rake leaves, rake pine needles, rake over freshly applied grass seed and fertilizer, rake across gravel, etc.. There are so many pine straw rakes available I truly feel the only real requirement is that the rake be IMatch compatible, and the yellow Countyline rake is. Hook it up, drop to the ground and go.

The rake will not harm your driveway, and as a matter of fact I just raked my own driveway. You may see some scratches, but unless you're anal, who cares. Pine straw rakes, the rake that keeps on giving.

The one thing you will truly hate will be the assembly, but get the frame on to the 3pt, lift it up, then insert all of the tines. Woodworking spring clamps help also. Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
A number of years ago, I built a homemade rake with JD bailer pick up tines.. It was 5' wide 3 row deep..
I used it as a dethatch rake, pine needle rake, semi groomed trail rake for the ATV club I used to belong to.. It worked well enough for all these jobs and I had something less than $90 in it all together.
The next one I build will be 5' wide and only 2 row deep.. That is more than enough... .

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just put a titan 5' pine straw rake on the 1025r last night and yet to use it. But I did notice the tines hang super low when its fully raised up, which kinda sucks since I was planning on using it to rake up leaves. Just something to keep in mind I guess.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just put a titan 5' pine straw rake on the 1025r last night and yet to use it. But I did notice the tines hang super low when its fully raised up, which kinda sucks since I was planning on using it to rake up leaves. Just something to keep in mind I guess.
Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out.
inaddition to shortening the top link, you can put an addition adjustablelower lift arm in place of the one that’s non adjustable. I’ve used it often and it adds significant lift height from both lower arms when needed.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
inaddition to shortening the top link, you can put an addition adjustablelower lift arm in place of the one that’s non adjustable. I’ve used it often and it adds significant lift height from both lower arms when needed.
I'm new to the 3-point world, can you give a link to what you're talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I'm new to the 3-point world, can you give a link to what you're talking about?

I have one of these for both sides. You can adjust/shorten both for more height. Rig comes with one to level things or tilt.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. I get it now. Another item on the wish list.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
so who sellsthe cheapest one..??

I want to get one for Dad.
Just gave Him a B7100 Yesterday and while there noticed the Pine straw is falling like Crazy.
Record year they say....This is Central ,Oregon.

He's Happier than a pig in poop..already welded steps and a bunch of scrap for ballast on the rear blade.
I'm sure He has plans for the Bucket......He's doing just fine for His late 80's.

Paying a guy to rake up all this straw ( The whole FIRE thing) weekly...figured if I can just order up a rake and have it delivered..He'll be on it like white litght'n up a ....He's so bored out of His mind....Typicly Mom & Dad are in HI ,Canada or traveling somewhere....Corona is not kind to any of us....specially the Mature.

So is the TSC one any good?
Apparently they have one in the next town over..........I gotta drive over an hour to find one. Then a 4 hour drive to there place.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
so who sellsthe cheapest one..??

I want to get one for Dad.
Just gave Him a B7100 Yesterday and while there noticed the Pine straw is falling like Crazy.
Record year they say....This is Central ,Oregon.

He's Happier than a pig in poop..already welded steps and a bunch of scrap for ballast on the rear blade.
I'm sure He has plans for the Bucket......He's doing just fine for His late 80's.

Paying a guy to rake up all this straw ( The whole FIRE thing) weekly...figured if I can just order up a rake and have it delivered..He'll be on it like white litght'n up a ....He's so bored out of His mind....Typicly Mom & Dad are in HI ,Canada or traveling somewhere....Corona is not kind to any of us....specially the Mature.

So is the TSC one any good?
Apparently they have one in the next town over..........I gotta drive over an hour to find one. Then a 4 hour drive to there place.

Dan,

I bought the Countyline (yellow) rake from TSC and I couldn't be happier with it. It's also Imatch compatible and high quality. The only PITA is the assembly. Have a couple of small clamps on hand to pull in the upper tine retainer while inserting the tine bolts.

Bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts