Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mow 4 acres with my finish mower and there are a lot of pine trees. I frequently brush up against them with my rops. Has anyone found a way to remove that nasty pine tree sap without damaging the finish ? I have dried kerosene, diesel fuel, and Goo gone. None of it seems to work very well.

·
Premium Member
9,339 Posts
I mow 4 acres with my finish mower and there are a lot of pine trees. I frequently brush up against them with my rops. Has anyone found a way to remove that nasty pine tree sap without damaging the finish ? I have dried kerosene, diesel fuel, and Goo gone. None of it seems to work very well.
First thing I do is pick off as much of the tar as I can without scratching the surface, which usually means using my fingernails......

Try soaking a rag or paper towel with wd40 and lay the towel on the Sap and let it work. I have been able to get most off with this approach........but it does take some time and effort. Then I also use a clay bar and the liquid spray cleaner for "dry washing" cars........it destroys the clay bar but I have been able to get most of it off with this combination. This is the kit I use, but you have to loosen the tar up with the Wd 40 first.....

And yes, it does smear at first, but sticking with it using these, I have been able to get the pine tar off.............Hope it helps you......

Mothers California Clay Bar System - Walmart.com

·
Premium Member
9,339 Posts
More evidence that the truly great minds do in fact, think alike.............

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Don’t know if it’s the same substance but I had some sappy sticky cottonwood seeds deposit themselves on the hood of my truck, and used goof off spray to remove the sap. I was worried about the clear coat on my truck, but it stayed intact. Worked pretty good actually. Sprayed it on and let it work for a couple seconds, then it wiped off. It evaporated pretty quickly, so for stubborn spots, I used the Sully method of soaking a rag and laying it on there for a minute. I’ll have to try the WD method next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Hmmmm,, I have not owned turpentine for a long time,, but,,
pine tar ought to dissolve with turpentine,,, :yahoo: the two are made out of the same stuff,,,

The best help may be a hair dryer,, warm up the tar,, it will be MUCH easier to remove,, no matter what you use,,,

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
You can try "Coleman" camping fuel. I use it for all my cleanup situations.

Reactions: Michigan Grandpa

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
All good suggestions but the winning answer is rubbing alcohol. A small swab of it like they wipe your arm at the docs before a shot will remove a surprising amount from automotive paint. It’s not so harsh to damage the finish or clear coat either, get a rag and douse it with the bottle from your medicine cabinet and rub away. All your pine sap/pitch will disappear like magic :drinks:

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
The best help may be a hair dryer,, warm up the tar,, it will be MUCH easier to remove,, no matter what you use,,,
The other way seems to work better. Spray it with some liquid nitrogen and freeze it solid. It contracts really fast and pulls itself free from whatever it's stuck to. An auto detailing guys showed me this a couple of years ago. I was pretty amazed that it worked. You can buy spray cans of liquid nitrogen on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Alcohol. It cuts right through pine sap. I keep a gallon of denatured alcohol with my other solvents. We have a lot of White Pines, so cleaning sap from the vehicles is a regular occurrence.

·
Premium Member
9,339 Posts
Alcohol. It cuts right through pine sap. I keep a gallon of denatured alcohol with my other solvents. We have a lot of White Pines, so cleaning sap from the vehicles is a regular occurrence.
You have to be careful suggesting this crowd use alcohol without specific guidance or I can see how this is going to take a quick turn....., but I noticed you mentioned the "Denatured Alcohol" in the description, otherwise, I was expecting the discussion to shift to flavored Vodka verses various whiskey's. Who knows, maybe those would help with the Pine tar and over a couple of ice cubes in a glass....... :lol:

Wonder what happens if you spray JimR's liquid nitrogen onto the whiskey...........not that it has anything to do with getting Pine tar off of anything except one's mind................:laugh::lol:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Exactly what I stated in post #9. All other answers are more unnecessary work or more expense. Alcohol is gentle, cheap, quick, effective and takes very little time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Exactly what I stated in post #9. All other answers are more unnecessary work or more expense. Alcohol is gentle, cheap, quick, effective and takes very little time.
Isopropyl Alcohol. Game changer for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts