Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 pine trees on my property that I absolutely hate. I have contemplated cutting them down but wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. The pine trees are bushy and have limbs that go all the way to the ground. 2 of them aren't very large but one is pretty decent size. When I mow around them, I usually get covered in sap and I cant get too close as the branches are sticking out waiting to scratch me and the tractor and cover us in sap.

Anyone cut the bottom several feet of branches off? Would that look really dumb? anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this situation? I have to mow one area between the tree and my pond and there is juuuusst enough room to mow between there now.

I also have found that I have a ton of spiders around the house. Anyone have any good sprays or anything to help get rid of them? I am planning on setting off bug bombs in the house soon to kill them. I want to spray outside to help prevent them from coming in but also have a kid and chickens.

Lastly I have found 3 snakes around my property lately. all around a foot long and garter snakes. two of them I found in my garage. one I found under a tree when I was mowing. Is there something that I can do to deter these devils work from coming into my garage or property?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
...Anyone cut the bottom several feet of branches off? Would that look really dumb? anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this situation?...
Just went though this about 2 months ago - a whole row of pines right down the property line, PITA to mow up close not to mention sap on me and the tractor. Damn that stuff is sticky and not easy to get off. Mostly mature trees, maybe 30'+ tall, I cut the lower 4' of branches and trimmed what was hanging down below that from up top. Does it look 'dumb'? Not really - they are pretty mature and it's actually quite common around here to see them 'pruned' like that. A couple younger 8'-10' trees I gently 'pruned' so I could get through between them - didn't cut off any branches.The only 2 downsides I've had are: 1) I still cant mow too close to some of them because several have a bunch of exposed roots sticking up several inches and 2) Weeds grow like crazy under those trees now. Been thinking of putting down some RoundUp but received mixed advice on whether that would kill the trees too (those exposed roots make me nervous).

Funny you mention snakes. Very often, when I'm weed-whacking the base of these trees, I see small snakes slithering away. Didn't know they like pine trees so much.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just went though this about 2 months ago - a whole row of pines right down the property line, PITA to mow up close not to mention sap on me and the tractor. Damn that stuff is sticky and not easy to get off. Mostly mature trees, maybe 30'+ tall, I cut the lower 4' of branches and trimmed what was hanging down below that from up top. Does it look 'dumb'? Not really - they are pretty mature and it's actually quite common around here to see them 'pruned' like that. A couple younger 8'-10' trees I gently 'pruned' so I could get through between them - didn't cut off any branches.The only 2 downsides I've had are: 1) I still cant mow too close to some of them because several have a bunch of exposed roots sticking up several inches and 2) Weeds grow like crazy under those trees now. Been thinking of putting down some RoundUp but received mixed advice on whether that would kill the trees too (those exposed roots make me nervous).

Funny you mention snakes. Very often, when I'm weed-whacking the base of these trees, I see small snakes slithering away. Didn't know they like pine trees so much.
My 2 smaller pines are only around 10ft tall. The large one is much bigger and bushy af. Every time I mow I want to trim it but just the thought of trimming it and being covered in the sap makes me cringe. I'm going to need to get a pole saw if and when I decide to do it.

Secretly I keep hoping that the wind will blow it over and make the decision easy. Lol.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
We have a bunch of mature pines scattered around the property. I stand in the bed of the Ranger SxS, pole saw in hand, and the wife drives around. I cut as high up as it can reach. At this point I dont care if it looks dumb, they suck to work around. For you, I would say cut as high as you feel comfortable with & you may have to weed whack the rest.

As for bugs, we use THIS . We try to lock the barn cats in early, and keep the dogs away from sprayed areas for 12-24 hours (I forget what the bottle recommends). Otherwise the resident bats do their part too.

We don't see many snakes, barn cats or something else must take care of them.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a bunch of mature pines scattered around the property. I stand in the bed of the Ranger SxS, pole saw in hand, and the wife drives around. I cut as high up as it can reach. At this point I dont care if it looks dumb, they suck to work around. For you, I would say cut as high as you feel comfortable with & you may have to weed whack the rest.

As for bugs, we use THIS . We try to lock the barn cats in early, and keep the dogs away from sprayed areas for 12-24 hours (I forget what the bottle recommends). Otherwise the resident bats do their part too.

We don't see many snakes, barn cats or something else must take care of them.
I figure it will be a matter of time before I just cut them off and be fine with how they look. I hate mowing around them. I think I used something similar to that In the past but in a much smaller bottle. I'll definitely give that a look.

Also my fiance wants to get barn cats. I don't want more mouths to feed that don't produce something for the family. But if they eat and keep snakes away that would be definitely a major benefit to getting some.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
We have mostly white pines & red pines around our place. So the branches are a little higher up. But I just take a pole saw & reach up as high I can I trim them. Usually the heavy snows we get kinda helps too & snaps off some branches.

As for the snakes. We have pine snakes around our yard. I see one every once in awhile. As long they don't bother me I won't bother them. Otherwise its off with there head.

Reactions: csnyder750

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have mostly white pines & red pines around our place. So the branches are a little higher up. But I just take a pole saw & reach up as high I can I trim them. Usually the heavy snows we get kinda helps too & snaps off some branches.

As for the snakes. We have pine snakes around our yard. I see one every once in awhile. As long they don't bother me I won't bother them. Otherwise its off with there head.
Not a fan of snakes at all. So if I see one it's lucky to live.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pine by the pond needs to be cut down before if crowds you too close to the pond and causes a turn over accident. It will just keep spreading out as it grows.
If it got that close I would just mow that area with a push mower or weedwacker. It's still got room there but I know it will eventually push me out to the point I couldn't get thru there. I'm guessing next year or the year after I'll be taking it down if the winter storms don't before then

·
Registered
2014 1025R
264 Posts
The guidance around here is that pines should be cut to at least 6' off the ground if they're at least 18' tall to reduce fire risk. So, figure you can cut up to a third of the bottom of the tree limbs off without hurting the tree. I'm working on doing this on all my trees inside of 100' of structures. Oaks, maples, pines, firs, redwoods, laurels...if it grows tall enough, it's getting a trim.

·
Registered
Deere 3520 & X500, Ferris IS2100Z
146 Posts
Personally I like having non-poisonous snakes on the property, anything that'll discourage mice. I have at least 2 garter snakes that live out around the shop and house, one's over 2' the other a little smaller. I often come across black snakes as well. When mowing a field yesterday I was thankful that a beautiful (5' at least) black snake slithered away from in front of the tractor. The only poisonous snakes in the region are copperhead and rattle, neither of which, knock on wood, I've seen here. I've heard black snakes can keep them away.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I like having non-poisonous snakes on the property, anything that'll discourage mice. I have at least 2 garter snakes that live out around the shop and house, one's over 2' the other a little smaller. I often come across black snakes as well. When mowing a field yesterday I was thankful that a beautiful (5' at least) black snake slithered away from in front of the tractor. The only poisonous snakes in the region are copperhead and rattle, neither of which, knock on wood, I've seen here. I've heard black snakes can keep them away.

No thanks. Those creatures are the work of the devil and scare the bejesus out of me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.