Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered bearings and seals for my 4300 and referenced the part number on the $90 bearing. Found a SKF matching numbers for $23! So my question, do you guys buy JD parts? Or try to reference parts and buy from probably a better manufacturer (SKF prime example)? And what resources do you guys use? View attachment 699170

33E7869F-FEBC-4C1C-863D-E07A72822A42.jpeg So now I'm looking for a cross reference number for a pinion shaft bearing (YZ81133). Trying not to pay $80 on this one...lol. Searching online and nothing! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
As in any piece of equipment, the equipment manufacture most likely doesn't have the bearing manufacture or seal manufacture manufacture a specific bearing or seal just for them to use. So, if it is an off the shelf item, go for it and get the mfg. name and number off the original bearing or seal and locate them at a local bearing supply store.

The problem with doing this is, you cannot pre-order your parts by part number alone. You first have to tear everything apart and then resource the parts.

I used to do this all the time with crane components that I used to rebuild all the time. I would record the make and part numbers of all bearings and seals so in the future, I could resource them locally.

Now, some components the equipment manufacturers use, are manufactured by say a hydraulic component manufacture, and they are manufactured just for their piece of equipment. In these cases, the equipment manufacture will have a contract with the component manufacture which essentially says, these part numbers are protected and must only be sold to the equipment manufacture to sell through their dealer network.

This actually happens on many components in today's equipment and vehicle manufacturing world.

Reactions: kylew and rtgt

·
Registered
268 Posts
Now, some components the equipment manufacturers use, are manufactured by say a hydraulic component manufacture, and they are manufactured just for their piece of equipment. In these cases, the equipment manufacture will have a contract with the component manufacture which essentially says, these part numbers are protected and must only be sold to the equipment manufacture to sell through their dealer network.

This actually happens on many components in today's equipment and vehicle manufacturing world.
This I know to be true. The swing motor for my komatsu mini ex is made by eaton, but can only be bought from komatsu. Eaton cannot sell to anybody, which sucks because komatsu wants $12000 cdn for a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
This I know to be true. The swing motor for my komatsu mini ex is made by eaton, but can only be bought from komatsu. Eaton cannot sell to anybody, which sucks because komatsu wants $12000 cdn for a new one.
Yep, happens all the time!! Most equipment manufactures use hydraulic components made by hydraulic component manufacturers and they contract with them to only supply the part to them. It cannot be sold by anyone else. This happens in the automotive world also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts