Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for info on pinwheel rakes as a means to remove thatch and other cleanup duties on approx 6 acres. While the CMP Detacher might work, it just brings the material to the surface and I'd have to follow up with a sweeper (another implement to purchase).

Pinwheel Rakes make windrows which are easier to collect even if I just use my bucket. The Agri-Supply version seems like a good choice, but I don't see much discussion of it on GTT. There are less capable pinwheels which don't seem to be up to the task.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Look under estate rakes and wheel rakes.

Reactions: jdmich and Kennyd

·
Registered
25,145 Posts

Reactions: LeoC4

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Here a TTWT video on some bigger ones used for haying.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
119 Posts
I found a couple of candidates:
I like the Yanmar the best as it appears to be more capable of removing thatch. I don't see any discussion of these models on GTT. I'm especially interested to learn from those who have / had one.
Wheel rakes windrow loose hay and the tedder fluffs up hay after it is cut so it will dry quicker. I don't think a wheel rake will dethatch a lawn. You could adjust a tedder down so the tines are just above the soil but it won't windrow the thatch. A rotary rake like in the TTWT video could also be adjusted so the tines are just above the soil and it would windrow the thatch. Could you rent something to see how it works? A tedder or rake adjusted down to the soil might tear up the grass.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Wheel rakes windrow loose hay and the tedder fluffs up hay after it is cut so it will dry quicker. I don't think a wheel rake will dethatch a lawn. You could adjust a tedder down so the tines are just above the soil but it won't windrow the thatch. A rotary rake like in the TTWT video could also be adjusted so the tines are just above the soil and it would windrow the thatch. Could you rent something to see how it works? A tedder or rake adjusted down to the soil might tear up the grass.
Correct. The PTO powered rotary rake would be ideal.
The ground driven wheel rake would likely not be aggressive enough to remove thatch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts