Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to praise all the posters to this forum!!! This forum has been helpful in SO many ways for this city boy who now lives in the country with a tractor...Whoo Hooo...

My Question is : Does anyone have or know of forks that can fit over the pirahna bar w/o having to take it off?

ivfman

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,866 Posts
Welcome to GTT Ivfman, good to have ya here. :thumbup1gif:
What tractor do you have? Not sure what you would like to accomplish??

·
Registered
140 Posts
I assume you're talking about the clamp on style that fits over the lip of the bucket. I've given my opinion on these before and several disagree but here it is anyway. I wouldn't take a pair as a gift. If much weight at all is put on you'll bend the bucket, you have no visibility, and the weight is to far forward. I think you're much better off saving up for separate attachment like Artillion's pallet forks.

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts
I assume you're talking about the clamp on style that fits over the lip of the bucket. I've given my opinion on these before and several disagree but here it is anyway. I wouldn't take a pair as a gift. If much weight at all is put on you'll bend the bucket, you have no visibility, and the weight is to far forward. I think you're much better off saving up for separate attachment like Artillion's pallet forks.
^^^^^
This!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Let me ask this - what are you trying to carry? I've found the PTB pretty good with the bucket curled at holding long trees in place that are loaded crossways in the bucket.

That being said - removal of the PTB is only 2 bolts and it comes off in less than 5 minutes if needed. I agree that a set of forks on the front of a bucket would REALLY limit your lifting power due to the leverage of the weight being that far in front of the pivot point.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
^^^x2^^^^^

And::wgtt:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gizmo,

I have the 1025R... I am wanting to move brush and some cut trees, etc. Nothing too giant.. I do like the idea of the Artillian forks.. just didnt know if I would really use it that much to warrant buying that!!

Ivfman

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Gizmo,

... just didnt know if I would really use it that much to warrant buying that!!

Ivfman
Ivfman,

I've found that I don't use the bucket much at all. Once I got the Artillian forks, I use them for almost everything. I got some free pallets off of Craig's list, and put a lot of different items on them. So, I don't have to physically carry or drag stuff anymore. Having forks and pallets changes the way you think about all kinds of tasks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Gizmo,

I have the 1025R... I am wanting to move brush and some cut trees, etc. Nothing too giant.. I do like the idea of the Artillian forks.. just didnt know if I would really use it that much to warrant buying that!!

Ivfman
Pallet forks works better we all agree But if all you have is clamp on pallet forks depends were the clamps will clamp on bucket PTB is easy to remove if you think damage /stress will happen Not all clamp on forks are same - i would avoid using heavy duty type best are light duty 1000/1500lbs leight weight cheap ones for your tractor:hi:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I think a set of the clamp on skid shoes for the bucket with the extensions would be a nice cheap solution to what you're looking for.

Although like I said - I've done that same kind of work with my PTB.....with great success. If I'm moving a TON of brush, I just cut a few of the 1-2" diameter branches to about 3-4' in length and jam them under the brush in the bottom of the bucket pointing out of the bucket to create temporary extensions - this helps when cleaning up downed trees, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for all their input. I have been lurking on this forum since last August and y'all have answered many problems and questions that i have had!!!

Thanks... John

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all their input. I have been lurking on this forum since last August and y'all have answered many problems and questions that i have had!!!

Thanks... John
To answer your original question, I don't believe any of the clamp on's I've seen would clear any toothbar very well. But alone the same lines as the others, I have to agree that once you have forks they become the primary attachment and the bucket secondary. You already have the very versatile JDQA setup that other color tractor owners have to pay extra for, so it would be a shame not to make the best use of it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,866 Posts
Ivfman, Let me add, I WOULD NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE USEFULNESS OF A COMPLETE SET OFF FORKS. Especially since your bucket is so easily removed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I understand not wanting the expense of another attachment when you think you won't use it enough to justify the cost. I only have a bucket for my 2520. Only reason is because I have a skid steer that takes care of any other attachments I need. My neighbor and I share attachments and between us we have multiple buckets, grapples, tree shears, bale spears, post hole diggers, tree saw, and rotary mower. Out of all those attachments the most used is pallet forks. If we could only keep 1 attachment it would be the pallet fork. If you have one you'll never think it was a waste of money. They are one of the biggest back savers you can own. You'll find yourself coming up with more and more things for them to do to make your life easier.

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
forks

forks is the way to go, I bought jd forks before I ever new of gtt to know of arttian, buy his setup, they are way lighter than my jd forks and he has incorporated many other uses to offset the cost of them, they are still a little cheaper then what I paid for mine 5 years or so, U will find lots of uses for them after u have them, if u can afford them this is the best way to go, good luck Big Jim:greentractorride: P.S. with the QA it only takes a minute to hook up

·
Registered
456 Posts
logging work 2.jpg Logging work.jpg

I have the Piranha toothbar on my 3320 Deere. I love it. I could rant forever on its quality construction, design, and usefulness. I collect alot of firewood and I have done alot of land clearing on my property thanks to the Piranha. It rips out brush and small trees very nicely! The bucket with the Piranha toothbar will actually carry logs and brush decent.

I would not buy the clamp on forks that fit on a bucket. In my opinion they are a waste of money and time. As many other on here have stated, your vision will be reduced when using the forks because the bucket will block your view. Your lifting capacity will be reduced because you are farther forward with your load. I can change from my pallet forks to my bucket in a few seconds time and only need a couple fingers to do the work pulling 2 pins. Try that with the clamp on forks for a bucket. Then you have still have to lift or move them on and off the bucket and this requires more than a couple fingers. To answer your question in regards to fit, I don't think they will fit over any toothbar which adds more work to the equation.

Save your money and buy pallet forks. If you figure the cost and divide it over 10 or 20 years they will look cheap. Those pallet forks will last your lifetime. They will save you in regards too time and headaches as well. Once you have them I guarantee you will wonder how you ever got by without them. You will find so many uses for them. I use them to gather my firewood. I cut 6 - 8 foot logs and carry them out on my forks. I use the forks to hold my logs at waist level so I am not bent over while cutting them into firewood sized pieces. I move brush piles with my forks easily. I used a pallet and constructed rails around it to make a small man lift basket. I have everything on pallets. I don't use my back for anything anymore, my forks do the work! I drilled a hole in the end of my forks for a trailer ball that I can put on or remove in a few seconds so I can move trailers around my yard. The list goes on and on for what pallet forks will do. The gist of what I am saying is pallet forks are money well spent!

In this order is what is one my tractor most.

#1 pallet forks
#2 snow plow blade (it snows here 7 months out of the year)
#3 bucket with piranha toothbar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK... so now i totally understand how you guys feel about the pallet forks!!!

Now here is a followup question!! What do you actually put on pallets to make life easier? Do you put things on permanently? I am just trying to wrap my head around this whole pallet lifestyle if you will...

john

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I put my bucket on the 5320 for the first time in months the other night to scrape snow off.

I use the forks to move round bales. Not ideal, but it works. It's less about putting things on pallets for me as it is being able to easily lift a wide variety of things.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,866 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ivfman, Not just for pallets. As a matter of fact I don't even own a pallet.
There are a lot of threads on GTT with many different uses for forks. A good start....

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/1761-how-many-sub-compact-tractors-have-forks.html
Ah man I hate it when all the good answers are gone. Likes been already said use them to move anything remotely heavy. Anything that I might need moved that isn't easily moved with the forks gets set on a pallet for ease later. You'll find uses for them. I have more uses for mine than my typing skills could ever handle nor do I have the time and patience to list every one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts