Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my new piranha tooth bar today for my 49" FEL. Got it delivered quick, which is good. However I am having a problem with the installation. I am trying to fit it tight against the bucket edge, as explained in the instructions. When I push one side tight, the other side comes back out. If I push that side tight, the other end pops back out. I have tried using a hammer and a piece of wood to smack it, to no avail.

I reached out to bxpanded a few minutes ago, and will report back with result of that when I get it.

In the meantime, anyone had that happen with the piranha install?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I think we all had to adjust the mounting bars to fit the bucket tightly. I used a urethane mallet and stood the bar on end and smacked the brackets until the fit was perfect. I also used the mallet to beat the tooth-bar as far onto the cutting edge as it would go after I had applied three C clamps to fix it in place. Then mark, center punch, remove bar and drill a hole just large enough to accept the bolts with a step drill. Re attach the bar with c clamps tight, beat onto cutting edge with the mallet all across the bar and install the bolts and torque.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had same experience.

When i was installing mine it was doing same thing. What I did was set a 2x6 on solid ground and pushed tooth bar down on 2x6 with weight of tractor to make sure it seated properly. Marked holes and gave myself some room to play. Worked awsome. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Seemed like I remember using a big pipe wrench to adjust the ears a little. Fit like s glove. You'll be amazed how well it clears brush and larger saplings.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2 end pieces (that the bolt goes through) fit fine. It is the toothbar itself not sitting snug against the bucket edge.

·
Administrator
18,512 Posts
The 2 end pieces (that the bolt goes through) fit fine. It is the toothbar itself not sitting snug against the bucket edge.
Ahh so it's bowed? How far out is the one side when the other is flush?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I found the same thing. Not all the little welded parts on the top are perfectly even. I could see the shifting when I was malleting so I just got it as even as I could. Things have NOT shifted since my install.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Same here

I found the same thing. Not all the little welded parts on the top are perfectly even. I could see the shifting when I was malleting so I just got it as even as I could. Things have NOT shifted since my install.
I saw the same thing but I used a 2 lb sledge against a 4 x 4 a few times. I was able to get a reasonably tight fit all across the edge. I might be able to move it back slightly now if I loosed the bolts as I've plucked some trees, dug some dirt etc. It's still pretty tight so might not have moved any.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Tnman

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh so it's bowed? How far out is the one side when the other is flush?
Yes, Close to 1/2"

Good to know, thank you.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard back from bxpanded. Sounds like I am OK to mount it as is. Here is what they said:
"Push the bar firmly onto the edge of the bucket. Center it approximately. It isn't necessary that it be seated 100%. Drill the holes, install the
bolts and tighten securely. As the loader is used, the bar will seat itself."

Reactions: BigJim55 and Tnman

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's what I was thinking too after using it a while. Mine had a slight bow and a 2x4 and a 3lb sledge seated it in fine. Don't be afraid to give it a real good whack. Just make sure you hit the 2x4
I thought I'd be taking off and on some, but have yet to have had the need to remove it. Even clearing snow.
Let's us know how you like it.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I heard back from bxpanded. Sounds like I am OK to mount it as is. Here is what they said:
"Push the bar firmly onto the edge of the bucket. Center it approximately. It isn't necessary that it be seated 100%. Drill the holes, install the
bolts and tighten securely. As the loader is used, the bar will seat itself."
Maybe that's why they recommend a 3/4" mounting bolt hole? I can't imagine the bar moving much after its bolted to the bucket.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I been thinking of adding one to my bucket, but seems like anything you do (mod wise) takes away from something down the road. Hard to see anything down the road other than having to remove it for some reason with this product. Sure would help out my clearing brush.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I been thinking of adding one to my bucket, but seems like anything you do (mod wise) takes away from something down the road. Hard to see anything down the road other than having to remove it for some reason with this product. Sure would help out my clearing brush.
If you want a toothbar and you don't want to modify your tractor in any way, take a look at this:
TB537-G.jpg
DSCF6203 (1).JPG
No drilling, no hammering, no bending to fit. Simply slide it over the edge of the bucket and tighten down the set screws. DONE:good2:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Maybe that's why they recommend a 3/4" mounting bolt hole? I can't imagine the bar moving much after its bolted to the bucket.
I suppose that's as good a guess as any.
I can't figure ANY reason why they say to drill a 3/4" hole to mount it.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Well O Chris, did you get her on there? Try her out some? :greentractorride:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
I must have been one of the lucky ones as I didn't have a problem and haven't taken it off since I put it on.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well O Chris, did you get her on there? Try her out some? :greentractorride:
Oh yeah.
Mounted right up.
I followed the instructions and drilled a 3/4" hole on one side. Slid the bolt in and found no reason for that much clearance and drilled the other side to match the bolt shank (and not the instructions).

I am very happy with the tooth bar but if it ever gets 'loose' on me I will weld a bushing into the 3/4" hole.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
When I installed my bar I clamped the bar in place as tight against the cutting edge as I could. Then I put the bucket in the dump position and pressed the bucket into the bar against the concrete floor in my shop. The weight of the tractor pushing the bucket into bar made for a nice tight fit.

At first I thought my bar was bowed as well but it was the cutting bar on the bucket that isn't square

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got it attached no problem. Used it yesterday, and it does work great for clearing brush.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts