Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some comparison pics of these two side by side. If you are trying to decide between the two, maybe this will help. This isn't really a head to head comparison, these are actually different tools.

Side by side:

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

Ratchet Rake attachment:

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

Piranha Tooth Bar attachment:

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

The ratchet rake is an excellent tool for clearing brush, weeds, vines, etc... If clearing vegetation, making paths or light leveling are your jobs the ratchet rake is the tool for you. With the bucket at different angles, it really rips the vegetation out by the roots. As you can see, you can not dig with it. I have created several piles of rocks and dirt with the landscape rake and they are almost impossible to bite into with the plain bucket. I added the Piranha tooth bar to help with the digging duties. It can still deal with vegetation to a certain extent, but its attachment method and flat bottom make it better moving and leveling the dirt.

You may decide that one of these two, or even a more conventional tooth bar would work for you best. For me it is the ratchet rake and Piranha tooth bar.

·
Administrator
18,513 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for posting those pics. One day we can compare the "Fire Rake" from Artillian also.

Reactions: Bill56

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have several areas to grade level and a few with brush and very small saplings. From what you are saying, the Pirahana would be the choice.

Is there any reason to take the thing off? What chores does the OEM edge perform better?

·
Administrator
20,979 Posts
I have several areas to grade level and a few with brush and very small saplings. From what you are saying, the Pirahana would be the choice.

Is there any reason to take the thing off? What chores does the OEM edge perform better?
Smooth edge buckets (like your OEM one) are great for loose material handling. Not so great for digging or breaking up hard pack. The teeth in a tooth bar greatly increases the pressure applied to a much smaller area allowing the bucket to penetrate hard pack. The bucket is pushing against 6 or 7 teeth instead of the entire length of the bucket.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Any issue with the Piranha and handling loose material? Sounds like this could be a permanent installation, which is good for me.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loose material is fine. I just scooped some wood chips and it sinks right in. I guess if you had a bucket of sand and wanted to spread it nice and level while driving backwards, it might have ridges in it. Dunno, that's a pretty specific example. If you are going to plow, scoop or scrape snow off of a drive, it wouldn't work great for that either.

I imagine it will be on my bucket by default. It will have to come off for Ratchet Rake use, but I imagine it will be one of the two all of the time, naked...Not so much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Any issue with the Piranha and handling loose material? Sounds like this could be a permanent installation, which is good for me.
It works great for loose materials and increases the bucket capacity a little.

Reactions: FredHickory

·
Administrator
18,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Smooth edge buckets (like your OEM one) are great for loose material handling. Not so great for digging or breaking up hard pack. The teeth in a tooth bar greatly increases the pressure applied to a much smaller area allowing the bucket to penetrate hard pack. The bucket is pushing against 6 or 7 teeth instead of the entire length of the bucket.
Does anyone have any recomendations for a standard 6-7 tooth bar that would fit a JD 53" quick change bucket attached to a 200CX loader? It looks like JD only offers them for wider buckets.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I had the opportunity to get a little time using the tooth bar today.

I was leveling out a mound where a tree had fallen over and I had removed the stump.

Well, I guess I didn't get all of it.

There it is.

The Piranha really improves digging ability. I have not used a traditional tooth bar, so I can not compare against that, but this pile of dirt is full of bricks and brick sized rocks. The naked bucket struggled to get a bite out of it. Much better with the Piranha.

It does a good job clearing brush if you can drive forward into it. If you need to drag brush out backwards, the Ratchet Rake is a clear winner in my book. I found a real world reason to not have the tooth bar on the bucket today. Carrying stuff in bags. When you are carrying around bags of potting soil, sand or what have you, you can't just dump them out at your destination, you risk tearing holes in the bag and spilling your load.

It doesn't look like I'll get a chance to use it more tomorrow, it is supposed to rain all day. :( Over all I'm extremely happy with the tooth bar. It does not replace the Ratchet Rake, it has its uses too.

Oh, yea. This is a nice way to remove a dead tree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts