Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the rings on a JD40 tractor. Does anyone know what the proper end gap for the rings should be? My book only says they are sized correctly from the factory and does not give a number. The ones that I am replacing have about .100 gap, which seems way to much to me. They do not seem to have much wear and I think the engine was rebuilt around 1999 from the date on the rod bearings. Everything is standard bore. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
That does sound really high. I hope some one will be along with the correct answer for you. I did find a generic reference for autos, it was posted in a Hastings MFG catg.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
I checked the manuals for my Model M and couldn't find a spec for ring end-gap. Are they genuine JD parts?

·
Registered
404 Posts
That does sound really high. I hope some one will be along with the correct answer for you. I did find a generic reference for autos, it was posted in a Hastings MFG catg.
Good reference
I would go with the hastings list

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rings

I can't tell what brand or part number the rings are. I am beginning to suspect that the wrong rings were used. I ordered a new set of hasting rings and I got them this morning. I will check the end gap on the new rings and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You NEED to determine if the piston and bore are std or oversize

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rings

I checked the gap with the new rings and they have an end gap of about .020. That is what I am used to seeing on other engines. It appears that either the wrong rings were used last time or someone filed them down for some reason. On another matter, when I took the oil filter assembly off there was no filter in the canister. While cleaning the parts I noticed that the bottom oil filter plate (Looks like a big washer) is missing. The filter will not work without it. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I have done a quick search for one, but haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
filter plate

I found a vendor selling the filter sealing plate, but better yet, I found the specs on it so that I can make my own. (I tend to be cheap :) ) Thanks all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts