Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1949 Ford 8N, 1959 Ford 841 Diesel, working on a 2 series order
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My first post on this forum was asking you all to help me build a 2025R. You're input was a big help!

The more I think about it and talk with others, I'm leaning toward a large frame 2R. I like the size difference, prefer the process for the command cut and the electronic auto throttle (adding similar functionality to the 2025R eats up some of the price difference), and the power to run potentially larger implements, including a 15kw generator.

I would welcome your input on a couple of questions/thoughts:

1. Tires - I am planning to mow 3+ hours a week with either tractor. That has me thinking about regular turfs if I go with the large frame, vs radial R3s on the 2025R. My yard is (or at least will be) a nice country yard. Not super fine turf, but not something I want to beat up too bad. How much traction am I losing with the turfs? Will the added weight/size of the large frame give me similar traction between large frame with reg turfs, and the small frame with radials? How tough are R4s really on a yard?

I don't plan to do a lot of dirt work, but will need to dig with the bucket few times a year. The rest will be mulch, gravel, material other materials.

2. I know going above the 25hp adds the regen process. Given that I'm planning to mow for 3 or more hours a week, I think I will run the tractor hot enough and for long enough to support the regen process.

3. 2032 vs 2038. Once you make the decision to jump to the large frame, why or why not move all the way to the 2038R?

There are only a few times a year that I would need the extra power of the large frame, but I really like the size, weight, FEL lift height and capacity, 3pt lift height, command cut, and electronic auto throttle. I could easily get everything done around my place with the 2025. Hell, I could get it done with the 1025. But I think it will be more enjoyable and less strain on me and the tractor with the 32/38. This isn't as much of a need as a want.

One other factor in this decision is that we may buy the 10 wooded acres next to the 5 we already have - and/or we may get a chance to buy a 40 acre place that was owned by my grandfather and by his dad before him. May not, but I don't know too many people that have said, "I bought too much tractor." I know a lot that have said the opposite ;-)

Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The big advantage of the larger 2 series is the 3 point and end loader lift capacity. Overall they are a pretty big step up. You can also get a 72 inch mowing deck I think. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, your thoughts are so similar to mine! I was thinking 1025R for years. Then had 'decided' on the 2025R. But the Command Cut, Loader lift height (and lift capacity improvements with the MSL loader), 3 point lift height, and 72" cut for my 3 acres convinced me the bigger tractor was worth it. I made the decision to go with the larger frame. And since it's not much more for the 2038, I said why not. My thinking was with the amount of mowing that I will do it makes sense to have more PTO HP since a mowing deck is a PTO implement. and the 30 PTO HP would be nice driving that 72" deck.

For tires I was initially set on the R4 tires as it just doesn't 'look' like a tractor with turfs. However, with the option of the Radial turfs, I jumped all over that. I think it's every bit as solid a tire as the R4, plus it is supposed to be more comfortable. As far as traction, I am not sure which has more. In snow/ice, the turf would be better than the R4. In dirt and mud, the R4 would be better as the turf will fill up quick. In grass, the turf will be better. I would look at the Radials, but the additional $800 for that option is a definite chunk. But I think they will hold up better than the regular turfs if you do acquire any of the wooded property you're eyeing. My brother has turfs on his New Holland (same class as 1025R) and he has regretted having the turfs as he gets flats all the time. Though he does a lot of field/woods work and not just mowing.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
3 Posts
I literally just went down this past a couple months ago. We bought 7.5 acres with most of it being field (homesite of 2 acres (with a half acre pond on this as well), an acre of wooded and the rest pasture. I was going to get a 1025 and then talked myself into the 2025. Once i started down that path, I decided on the larger frame. My dealer (Everglades in florida) had a 2038r that had been a demo with 20 hours on it and that saved me a couple grand. I ended up with the 2038r to make sure I didn't end up buying a tractor twice (which seems to happen a lot). Invest a bit more and I think you will end up happy that you did. I went back and forth with the tires and my dealer talked me into the R4's. I think I will end up getting a bit less aggressive of a tire next year since I end up tearing up the grass near the pond due to wetness. I got the command cut 72' belly mower and cant be happier. If you dont have alot of trees to go around, you will be happy you did. With your amount of mowing, regen shouldnt need to be run very much if at all. If you are going full frame 2 series, I personally think the grand or two more is a no brainer. I did it so I dont ever kick myself down the road and wish I had a bought just a little more hp.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,548 Posts
I think you'd be happy with the large 2R, comfort, ride and ease of operation are completely different. Fourteen months ago I went from a 2025R to a 2038R, it is a pretty large jump, and should be since it's also quite a step up in price. You'll never regret going bigger, ask me how I know, the same can't be said for going smaller.

I recently did a 200 hr review on my 2038R and also give a little incite in the history of me and how I ended up at the 2038R.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was think 1025r for my ten acres. Jumped to the 2025r and couldn’t be happier. I imagine either setup would be good for you.

I would definitely follow others advice and purchase the entire set-up your looking at initially in a package. Sticking with the 2025r allowed me in my budget to get more implements.

I didn’t want to have the tractor, and only have the ability for the front end loader, and mower deck,

Keeping it at the 2025r, I was able to purchase more implements, and a side by side for the wife.

I was able to get a imatch system, dethatcher, cutting box, 60 in mower deck, front end loader, backhoe and a side by side.

still had enough cash in hand after a 10 k down payment to pay for a trailer outright.

preference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you'd be happy with the large 2R, comfort, ride and ease of operation are completely different. Fourteen months ago I went from a 2025R to a 2038R, it is a pretty large jump, and should be since it's also quite a step up in price. You'll never regret going bigger, ask me how I know, the same can't be said for going smaller.

I recently did a 200 hr review on my 2038R and also give a little incite in the history of me and how I ended up at the 2038R.
Pat, you're videos and experience have been a HUGE help as I've been considering this purchase. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I won't be using the tractor for farming like you do, but for small property maintenance. The cash price is one thing, but the reality is at zero percent the same 2025R and 2032R is about $100 a month difference. For how much I mow and the other things I want to do, that ride and ease of operation are certainly factors - as much as any "need" for the more power and higher lift capacities.

Again, thanks for videos and taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I literally just went down this past a couple months ago. We bought 7.5 acres with most of it being field (homesite of 2 acres (with a half acre pond on this as well), an acre of wooded and the rest pasture. I was going to get a 1025 and then talked myself into the 2025. Once i started down that path, I decided on the larger frame. My dealer (Everglades in florida) had a 2038r that had been a demo with 20 hours on it and that saved me a couple grand. I ended up with the 2038r to make sure I didn't end up buying a tractor twice (which seems to happen a lot). Invest a bit more and I think you will end up happy that you did. I went back and forth with the tires and my dealer talked me into the R4's. I think I will end up getting a bit less aggressive of a tire next year since I end up tearing up the grass near the pond due to wetness. I got the command cut 72' belly mower and cant be happier. If you dont have alot of trees to go around, you will be happy you did. With your amount of mowing, regen shouldnt need to be run very much if at all. If you are going full frame 2 series, I personally think the grand or two more is a no brainer. I did it so I dont ever kick myself down the road and wish I had a bought just a little more hp.
Thanks, Cliff. Good info, though it may not be good for my wallet :). I have a few trees to mow around, but not "a lot". How big of a difference do you think it is from 60" - 72"? The 72" deck was one of my early arguments to my wife from this upgrade (currently mowing with 48" X320), as I think I'll save a lot of time on the flatter open areas. A little worried about scalping if I go to 72, but I think I could manage it.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just found out the load and go drive over brackets don’t fit the 60” for the 2038r. My dealer is having to remove the 60” deck and lift to get the 72” since we requested it with the load and go option. They are also waiting until May for the MSL loader to arrive. Waiting is hard but I have been to visit it a couple of times.
I went with the R3+ radials. After the first few years of projects it may get used the most as a mower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, your thoughts are so similar to mine! I was thinking 1025R for years. Then had 'decided' on the 2025R. But the Command Cut, Loader lift height (and lift capacity improvements with the MSL loader), 3 point lift height, and 72" cut for my 3 acres convinced me the bigger tractor was worth it. I made the decision to go with the larger frame. And since it's not much more for the 2038, I said why not. My thinking was with the amount of mowing that I will do it makes sense to have more PTO HP since a mowing deck is a PTO implement. and the 30 PTO HP would be nice driving that 72" deck.

For tires I was initially set on the R4 tires as it just doesn't 'look' like a tractor with turfs. However, with the option of the Radial turfs, I jumped all over that. I think it's every bit as solid a tire as the R4, plus it is supposed to be more comfortable. As far as traction, I am not sure which has more. In snow/ice, the turf would be better than the R4. In dirt and mud, the R4 would be better as the turf will fill up quick. In grass, the turf will be better. I would look at the Radials, but the additional $800 for that option is a definite chunk. But I think they will hold up better than the regular turfs if you do acquire any of the wooded property you're eyeing. My brother has turfs on his New Holland (same class as 1025R) and he has regretted having the turfs as he gets flats all the time. Though he does a lot of field/woods work and not just mowing.
I was afraid this was the kind of stuff you guys were going to say :ROFLMAO: I agree with your thinking on the 72" deck, though the 60" may be a better fit for my needs.

Are you happy with your choice of the radials? I'm in SW Missouri, so about once a year I MAY need to push some snow. I'm not really worried about snow traction.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just found out the load and go drive over brackets don’t fit the 60” for the 2038r. My dealer is having to remove the 60” deck and lift to get the 72” since we requested it with the load and go option. They are also waiting until May for the MSL loader to arrive. Waiting is hard but I have been to visit it a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait...so they work for the 60" deck on the 1025/2025, and the 72" deck on the 2032/2038, but not the 60" on the large frame? Makes no sense. Load and go seems like an almost must have for blade sharpening and mulch kit install/uninstall.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you want a 2038 then for just barely a few inches wider of a machine you could have a 3046r. 😬

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you happy with your choice of the radials? I'm in SW Missouri, so about once a year I MAY need to push some snow. I'm not really worried about snow traction.
I wish I could answer that. I don't have the tractor yet, though I ordered it with radials. I live in northern Tennessee so I don't have to worry about snow much here either. I will definitely give an opinion once I get the machine.

Good Works Tractors and Tractor Time with Tim have several YouTube videos talking about the tires on their machines. You should go and check them out.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Wait...so they work for the 60" deck on the 1025/2025, and the 72" deck on the 2032/2038, but not the 60" on the large frame? Makes no sense. Load and go seems like an almost must have for blade sharpening and mulch kit install/uninstall.
You should get the 72" deck. The farther it sticks out, the easier it is to trim close to objects.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, I am moving from 2025r with 60" deck to 3039r, went with 72" deck simply so I could mow up closer to things, since the 60" is barely as wide as the tractor and no Load n Go like th 72" and that is a must, because I have today on my current 60" 2025r.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
2038r is the BEST tractor in the 1-3r lineup, by far! Not that I’m biased…😁

·
Registered
237 Posts
I purchased my 2038r 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Its more tractor than I will need 90% of the time but my reason for getting it over the 2032r was because I could get that much more tractor for only $25 more a month on my payment. To me it was a no brainer to get the bigger tractor for the money. Its better to have it and not need than it is to need it and not have it. Biggest pto items I have will be my flail mower. My 1025r would run it but not really effective in taller thicker stuff. The 2038r should run it with no issues whatsoever. I will also be running a tiller with it. Its nicer to have more lift capacity also.

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Land Pride QH05 quick hitch
Victory EF 155 flail mower
48” sand filled lawn roller

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
While I have a Gen 2 2018 2032R, It was the deal I found! This is a no brain-er.

Get the 2038R with,
Radials
220R MSL(will lift almost what a 3R will), HD Bucket-cheaper to add now. SP(single point)
72D MMM
Rear SCV's, Note: advise to NOT add later
3RD function(for future grapple,or now 😁, see note above)
PB for future backhoe, see above.
Fender flairs(have to drop tank to install)
Most importantly REAR BALLAST!! (your choice, HH or BB)
suitcase weights 42/70, depending on your conditions(both)
Extended warranty( for that pesky actuator, and peace of mind,includes dealer pick-up/drop-off)

Now or future purchases:
If needed, fluid filled tires
Backhoe
Full LED kit
Brush guards
Grapple
Forks
Front blower?
Front blade?
Canopy? Lighted???😁 I did!!
Any ground engaging attachments

Have I spent enough of your money???:whistle:

But seriously, The first list will save you the most money, and future headaches, and should set you up VERY well for the future.

Take advantage of the zero percent as much as you can NOW. Add-ons cost a lot more later.
Buy now,cry now. Buy once, cry once.
A LOT of people on here wish they did.

For your land and woods, first list,for me would be a must.

Allen.
Crop!! I KNEW I forgot something.
Add Load-N-go to the first list. Absolute must have!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts