Green Tractor Talk banner

Planning 2025R; now thinking 2032R/2038R

6563 Views 47 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Ford8N
Hi all,

My first post on this forum was asking you all to help me build a 2025R. You're input was a big help!

The more I think about it and talk with others, I'm leaning toward a large frame 2R. I like the size difference, prefer the process for the command cut and the electronic auto throttle (adding similar functionality to the 2025R eats up some of the price difference), and the power to run potentially larger implements, including a 15kw generator.

I would welcome your input on a couple of questions/thoughts:

1. Tires - I am planning to mow 3+ hours a week with either tractor. That has me thinking about regular turfs if I go with the large frame, vs radial R3s on the 2025R. My yard is (or at least will be) a nice country yard. Not super fine turf, but not something I want to beat up too bad. How much traction am I losing with the turfs? Will the added weight/size of the large frame give me similar traction between large frame with reg turfs, and the small frame with radials? How tough are R4s really on a yard?

I don't plan to do a lot of dirt work, but will need to dig with the bucket few times a year. The rest will be mulch, gravel, material other materials.

2. I know going above the 25hp adds the regen process. Given that I'm planning to mow for 3 or more hours a week, I think I will run the tractor hot enough and for long enough to support the regen process.

3. 2032 vs 2038. Once you make the decision to jump to the large frame, why or why not move all the way to the 2038R?

There are only a few times a year that I would need the extra power of the large frame, but I really like the size, weight, FEL lift height and capacity, 3pt lift height, command cut, and electronic auto throttle. I could easily get everything done around my place with the 2025. Hell, I could get it done with the 1025. But I think it will be more enjoyable and less strain on me and the tractor with the 32/38. This isn't as much of a need as a want.

One other factor in this decision is that we may buy the 10 wooded acres next to the 5 we already have - and/or we may get a chance to buy a 40 acre place that was owned by my grandfather and by his dad before him. May not, but I don't know too many people that have said, "I bought too much tractor." I know a lot that have said the opposite ;-)

Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks in advance!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Wow, your thoughts are so similar to mine! I was thinking 1025R for years. Then had 'decided' on the 2025R. But the Command Cut, Loader lift height (and lift capacity improvements with the MSL loader), 3 point lift height, and 72" cut for my 3 acres convinced me the bigger tractor was worth it. I made the decision to go with the larger frame. And since it's not much more for the 2038, I said why not. My thinking was with the amount of mowing that I will do it makes sense to have more PTO HP since a mowing deck is a PTO implement. and the 30 PTO HP would be nice driving that 72" deck.

For tires I was initially set on the R4 tires as it just doesn't 'look' like a tractor with turfs. However, with the option of the Radial turfs, I jumped all over that. I think it's every bit as solid a tire as the R4, plus it is supposed to be more comfortable. As far as traction, I am not sure which has more. In snow/ice, the turf would be better than the R4. In dirt and mud, the R4 would be better as the turf will fill up quick. In grass, the turf will be better. I would look at the Radials, but the additional $800 for that option is a definite chunk. But I think they will hold up better than the regular turfs if you do acquire any of the wooded property you're eyeing. My brother has turfs on his New Holland (same class as 1025R) and he has regretted having the turfs as he gets flats all the time. Though he does a lot of field/woods work and not just mowing.
Reactions: Jimmy Walker
I wish I could answer that. I don't have the tractor yet, though I ordered it with radials. I live in northern Tennessee so I don't have to worry about snow much here either. I will definitely give an opinion once I get the machine.

Good Works Tractors and Tractor Time with Tim have several YouTube videos talking about the tires on their machines. You should go and check them out.
Are you happy with your choice of the radials? I'm in SW Missouri, so about once a year I MAY need to push some snow. I'm not really worried about snow traction.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.