Green Tractor Talk banner

Planning 2025R; now thinking 2032R/2038R

6563 Views 47 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Ford8N
Hi all,

My first post on this forum was asking you all to help me build a 2025R. You're input was a big help!

The more I think about it and talk with others, I'm leaning toward a large frame 2R. I like the size difference, prefer the process for the command cut and the electronic auto throttle (adding similar functionality to the 2025R eats up some of the price difference), and the power to run potentially larger implements, including a 15kw generator.

I would welcome your input on a couple of questions/thoughts:

1. Tires - I am planning to mow 3+ hours a week with either tractor. That has me thinking about regular turfs if I go with the large frame, vs radial R3s on the 2025R. My yard is (or at least will be) a nice country yard. Not super fine turf, but not something I want to beat up too bad. How much traction am I losing with the turfs? Will the added weight/size of the large frame give me similar traction between large frame with reg turfs, and the small frame with radials? How tough are R4s really on a yard?

I don't plan to do a lot of dirt work, but will need to dig with the bucket few times a year. The rest will be mulch, gravel, material other materials.

2. I know going above the 25hp adds the regen process. Given that I'm planning to mow for 3 or more hours a week, I think I will run the tractor hot enough and for long enough to support the regen process.

3. 2032 vs 2038. Once you make the decision to jump to the large frame, why or why not move all the way to the 2038R?

There are only a few times a year that I would need the extra power of the large frame, but I really like the size, weight, FEL lift height and capacity, 3pt lift height, command cut, and electronic auto throttle. I could easily get everything done around my place with the 2025. Hell, I could get it done with the 1025. But I think it will be more enjoyable and less strain on me and the tractor with the 32/38. This isn't as much of a need as a want.

One other factor in this decision is that we may buy the 10 wooded acres next to the 5 we already have - and/or we may get a chance to buy a 40 acre place that was owned by my grandfather and by his dad before him. May not, but I don't know too many people that have said, "I bought too much tractor." I know a lot that have said the opposite ;-)

Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks in advance!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I purchased my 2038r 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Its more tractor than I will need 90% of the time but my reason for getting it over the 2032r was because I could get that much more tractor for only $25 more a month on my payment. To me it was a no brainer to get the bigger tractor for the money. Its better to have it and not need than it is to need it and not have it. Biggest pto items I have will be my flail mower. My 1025r would run it but not really effective in taller thicker stuff. The 2038r should run it with no issues whatsoever. I will also be running a tiller with it. Its nicer to have more lift capacity also.

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Land Pride QH05 quick hitch
Victory EF 155 flail mower
48” sand filled lawn roller
There is a difference though in DEF and DPF. The 32/38 has a DPF and no DEF but I understand what you are saying that the tech has been out long enough that they have had time to make it work. I opted to get the rear remotes on mine and have that rolled into the financing.

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
So in your first post you mention the 32/38 requiring regen as a negative. Yes very slight more complexity makes it a negative however i have read zero issues with the regen on the 32/38 and personally never had an issue. I want to throw out a positive of the DEF system. Less soot and smell. I get no black soot on the tractor and can run it in the garage (door open) without the heavy diesel smell. So really I would not even put that in a consideration if determining which model to get, engine builders have been working with DEF for long enough that the bugs have pretty much been worked out.
Reactions: PJR832 and Big
Thats the spirit!!!!!!

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
yes, everyone here is great at helping empty your wallet. I like the idea of hydraulic top-n-tilt, but zero use right now. However, I figured they were in there plumbing the 3rd function and the PB, screw it, added rear remotes at the last minute. ~$1000 over 60 months = cheap, I'll have it if I need it, and god forbid I underbought on size, but should I find myself trading mine now has a desirable feature. It's just money, and I'll make more tomorrow
Reactions: PlumberHome
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.