Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly don't know which would be the right choice for me and I'm looking for a kind of "do everything" machine. I have 2.25 acres right now and I'm planning to buy a little more land from a neighbor to round it up to 3 acres. It's wooded and there are tons of trees and hills so mowing is kind of an obstacle course. Every year I have to move dirt, compost, mulch, firewood, etc. also snow blowing; and then I'm planting more trees and shrubs as well as planning to install a fence.

So, the implements I'm planning are:

- Loader w/tooth bar
- 60" mid mower
- Snow blower
- 3pt post auger
- 48" 3pt core aerator
- 3pt sprayer
- pallet forks
- heavy hitch/ballast box

Based on use, I don't know which machine would be the right fit. I'm concerned that a 1025R might be too small for those implements and that a 2025R might be way too large to maneuver through my yard for mowing.

Advice?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have 3.6 acres and a 1026r. It is adequate for my purposes. The auto connect deck makes switching implements very easy. I think that the 1 series tractors would be more maneuverable than 2025r. You should try both tractors at your dealer to help you decide. Good luck!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts
I have to agree with bob. It sounds like a 1025R has your duties written all over it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree too, with the 1025, but do try each out at the dealer drive them and be sure to use the hyd. Controls to see what fits you best. I went with 1025R after test driving. All the implements you listed will work fine on the 1025 R.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I know you said that you want a do everything machine, however, with the land you described I think that you'd be much happier with a zero turn mower plus a tractor. It would make maneuvering around the trees and obstacles so much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know you said that you want a do everything machine, however, with the land you described I think that you'd be much happier with a zero turn mower plus a tractor. It would make maneuvering around the trees and obstacles so much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well sure, but I'm afraid I haven't hit those winning lottery numbers yet. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I agree with gizmo . I have two acres and a lot of trees and bushes . I have an L130 mower and just bought a 1025R . To me the tractor is more maneuverable than my mower due to the steering being so much easier . Only thing to watch is low hanging limbs !! Have fun with whichever choice you make and count on the guys here to answer any questions you will have .:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I love my 1026R and I have 2.22 acres. My tractor does everything I've asked it. For moving dirt and gravel around my place it does a GREAT job. It's small so keep that in mind. When it comes to digging I've used my tiller to make digging and leveling much easier on the tractor. It's a great machine for doing many jobs well. The 26 HP works fine in this frame, but I'm not sure how well it'd carry the extra weight of the 2 series. I say this because in High you can lug the motor and hydro while moving dirt or mowing. We have pretty steep grades so it's nothing against the machine. Just something to think about. I only use low in the bad spots and it works fantastic. I personally have to wonder how the same-ish power would be stressed with an all around bigger machine. If I were to upgrade I'd go to a 2032R as it's got the extra power for the extra size. Plus I think that extra HP would help me hate that center of the hood filler neck a little less. :flag_of_truce:

p.s. My dealer let me Demo my 1026R to see if it'd fit my property. I mowed with it one time and couldn't hardly let it go back to have the loader installed.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Looking at the tasks you want to accomplish, I would lean toward the 2 series. The 1025 is a great machine, but the 2 series is a little bigger in ways I think you will appreciate. More lift capacity for the loader and the three point, which will make a big difference when you're digging or moving firewood on a pallet. For gathering firewood you'll be working in the woods, and the increased ground clearance on the 2 series will be a big advantage there. That also comes into play with the auger; some members have reported that their 1 series tractors can't lift the 3 point high enough for a 48" auger bit to clear the ground to travel without having to tilt the bit forward or back with a strap.

The two series is a lot more tractor than the one series, though physically not that much larger.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Got any pics of your yard that you can share?

I'd lean towards the bigger machine if you have the operating room, but it you have several tighter areas that you need to access, the smaller machine may work better, just depends. If you will be doing a lot with the 3PH and need max lifting height, the CUT will be a better fit. Also... just my viewpoint, if you are going to go with a CUT (2-series), I'd skip the 2025R as it's only 24.2 HP and go right to the 2032R. The 1025R is basically 24hp (believe it may be the same engine as in the 2025R) and it's noticeably lighter, so the 2025R is too much machine for a 24hp engine to move around when working hard IMHO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got any pics of your yard that you can share?

I'd lean towards the bigger machine if you have the operating room, but it you have several tighter areas that you need to access, the smaller machine may work better, just depends. If you will be doing a lot with the 3PH and need max lifting height, the CUT will be a better fit. Also... just my viewpoint, if you are going to go with a CUT (2-series), I'd skip the 2025R as it's only 24.2 HP and go right to the 2032R. The 1025R is basically 24hp (believe it may be the same engine as in the 2025R) and it's noticeably lighter, so the 2025R is too much machine for a 24hp engine to move around when working hard IMHO.
Here's the property:

I'd break down the "chores" for the machine as:

50% mowing (roughly 150 hours per year)
25% loader for mulch, compost, topsoil etc.
15% three point hitch work mainly for aerating, fertilizing and spraying the turf
10% other random project stuff

·
Registered
768 Posts
Based on those pics, 1025R for sure!

·
Registered
520 Posts
You have a beautiful spread by the way.

My opinion, the 1025R will do the job. It will be lighter on the lawn than the 2000 series and easier to get around. As for mowing, you have a lot of detail work with all those trees. I think I would put the 2 grand into a zero turn to get closer to all those trees. But even then, it looks like you keep it trimmed well, so the MMM is still an option.

The one thing about the 1025R that I wish was better is the hydraulic flow. I did notice the 2025R has a lower pump flow than the 1025, not sure why. The 2032 gets a bigger pump and more available for the loader. Having enough flow for multiple operations on the loader would be very nice. Haven't heard any comparisons between the 2025 and the 2032 with respect to loader operation, though.

At the end of the day, seat time before you buy is the key. Play with both. Set up some cones or obstacles like your yard has and see how they perform.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
So far my 1025 has done everything I have asked of it on our 5.5 acres. It is a little work horse. There are times I have wished I had a little more lift capacity but all in all I have always been able to get the task at hand completed.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I honestly don't know which would be the right choice for me and I'm looking for a kind of "do everything" machine. I have 2.25 acres right now and I'm planning to buy a little more land from a neighbor to round it up to 3 acres. It's wooded and there are tons of trees and hills so mowing is kind of an obstacle course. Every year I have to move dirt, compost, mulch, firewood, etc. also snow blowing; and then I'm planting more trees and shrubs as well as planning to install a fence.

So, the implements I'm planning are:

- Loader w/tooth bar
- 60" mid mower
- Snow blower
- 3pt post auger
- 48" 3pt core aerator
- 3pt sprayer
- pallet forks
- heavy hitch/ballast box

Based on use, I don't know which machine would be the right fit. I'm concerned that a 1025R might be too small for those implements and that a 2025R might be way too large to maneuver through my yard for mowing.

Advice?
Based on this, if it were me and I was not going to use a backhoe, I would definetly go for the 2032r. More lifting power and over all GPM on the hydraulics. If you plan on a backhoe, leave the 2032r alone and go to the 3 series. I do beleive that the 1025r will do what you want from the machine. But I also think you will be taskng the little guy down the road and kick yourself wanting more lift capacity. I have the 1026r and love the machine. It does everything I want it to do, I do wish at times it had more lift capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
If I was planting/relocating a lot of trees - I'd get the backhoe for sure.

I've been really impressed with what my 1025R can do, how easy it is to switch attachments, and still be a very capable mower. It's actually more manueverable than my old 46" deck JD180 lawn tractor.

With all those hips and dips in your yard - I would probably even go with the 54" deck vs the 60 for the mower to avoid scalping issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I was planting/relocating a lot of trees - I'd get the backhoe for sure.

I've been really impressed with what my 1025R can do, how easy it is to switch attachments, and still be a very capable mower. It's actually more manueverable than my old 46" deck JD180 lawn tractor.

With all those hips and dips in your yard - I would probably even go with the 54" deck vs the 60 for the mower to avoid scalping issues.
Fortunately my neighbor has a backhoe so I can barter beer for holes. :thumbup1gif:

Good call on the deck too. I wasn't sure about that either.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Fortunately my neighbor has a backhoe so I can barter beer for holes. :thumbup1gif:

Good call on the deck too. I wasn't sure about that either.
I've got the 60 and have a fairly hilly yard, but my yard is more food plot than grass so perfection isn't what I'm striving for (just getting it done.) It does a nice job, but I bet the 54" would give a more manicured look.

This tractor has no problems at all spinning around trees and in tight places either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts