Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still waiting for my new 1025 to arrive, but as I'm crunched for space in my garage I was wondering if any if anyone has designed a platform to allow the snowblower to be off loaded onto and then pushed around as needed to be out of the way. I envision four casters on some type of decking (plywood?) but that being said I'm not sure if this is even possible and still be able to hook it back up again.

After reading all the various issues the JD has I'm a bit worried or is this just normal OMG it's coming soon syndrome....:hide:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm still waiting for my new 1025 to arrive, but as I'm crunched for space in my garage I was wondering if any if anyone has designed a platform to allow the snowblower to be off loaded onto and then pushed around as needed to be out of the way. I envision four casters on some type of decking (plywood?) but that being said I'm not sure if this is even possible and still be able to hook it back up again.

After reading all the various issues the JD has I'm a bit worried or is this just normal OMG it's coming soon syndrome....:hide:
I got a piece of plywood and cut it into four 2' x 4' pieces. I then glued/screwed two of the pieces together. I did the same with the other two pieces. I added casters that swivel and I then had two very efficient roll carts...one for my snowblower and one for my rototiller. They make moving both implements in my garage or shed very easy. When I remove the snowblower or tiller they always go on their cart. The tiller and snowblower can both be attached off the carts very easily. Harbor Freight sell moving dollies that might work for a less expensive alternative.

Reactions: Foggy Bottom

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
$16.99 at Harbor Freight (they have a plastic with steel reinforcement for $19.99)

1000 lb. Hardwood Mover's Dolly

I like the wood one and will be picking some of them up for my ballast box, boxblade, etc.

Even if it needs reinforcement, you can hardly get the casters for that price. Throw a couple thicker pieces of wood on it and you're good to go.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
I don't have a blower but I built a platform for my 54" plow. Essentially I just took a pallet, nailed 3/4" plywood top and bottom, mounted casters to the bottom and built a crossbar about 24" up off the platform. I slide my Artillian Forks in on one side, spin it around and set the plow on the other side. Mine is actually bigger (40"x48") than it needs to be so I'm going to cut it down a bit this weekend (to 40"x30").

Come this winter I can pull straight into the garage drop the loader, back the tractor out of the garage, back the tractor back into the garage again and hook the plow up. Once I push the cart out of the way everything is all set to go plowing.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info

Thanks to all for the feedback. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel again for something simple. Looks like I'll be visiting Harbor Freight this weekend

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Storage cart for 54" Snow Blower

Except for the steel-wheel castors (3", about $6.50 at Home Depot), I built my storage cart from lumber and hardware I already had around. For the 54" inch snow blower, the dimensions of the cart are 60" long by 18" wide. The length is long enough that if, in the future, I must put the shoes on the outside of the blower, everything will still fit okay. For a 47" blower, I would just subtract 7" for the length. The width was selected so that the back end of the blower extends a bit beyond the cart. This allows the front quick hitch room to pick up or drop off the blower without any interference from the cart. I'm confident that the depth dimension should be the same for the 47" blower. The height from the ground to the top surface of the cart is 5 3/4". This is the height of the castors plus a 2 by 4. This was the perfect height for connecting with the quick hitch.

I recessed the bolts on the top surface so that they won't scratch the blower. (I also recessed them on the bottom because the hardware I already had was just a little too short.) At the front end of the cart, the weight is born by the shoes and is right over the wheels. At the back of the cart, the weight is in the center. I haven't seen any bowing on my cart from this, but if I do I'll simply add a wheel or 2 in the middle back of the cart. I always use steel wheel castors. I've learned the hard way that some plastic or whatever castors will develop a flat spot with weight on them and they are very hard to roll when this happens. The 3" wheels easily traverse the expansion joints in my driveway.

Keane

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
image.jpeg

Not a blower, but the idea is still the same. I just bolted 4 swivel casters onto the bottom of a pallet. I keep a couple of them around for moving heavy things in the garage or barn. Plus, they can still be picked with a forklift if needed.

Reactions: GSM and Gizmo2

·
Registered
338 Posts
$16.99 at Harbor Freight (they have a plastic with steel reinforcement for $19.99)

1000 lb. Hardwood Mover's Dolly

I like the wood one and will be picking some of them up for my ballast box, boxblade, etc.

Even if it needs reinforcement, you can hardly get the casters for that price. Throw a couple thicker pieces of wood on it and you're good to go.

This is what I use for the blower and it works great. Haven't figured out rototiller yet because Manuel says tiller shouldn't be stored resting on tines long term. Want it resting on side depth skids.

Phil d

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is what I use for the blower and it works great. Haven't figured out rototiller yet because Manuel says tiller shouldn't be stored resting on tines long term. Want it resting on side depth skids.

I don't think it matters that the tiller is stored long term on the tines.....unless it is stored outside...on dirt.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Snowblower storage dolly

Since my original post, I added a couple of angle irons to the side to make it "foolproof" to set the snowblower onto.
Simple & cheap & a great project to build with a kid!
20141025_145300.jpg
added side angle iron to simplify my landings...
20141104_145653.jpg
I'm sure you can easily modify this design to fit your snowblower.
:greentractorride:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I love the loader dolly and also all the comments about the other attachments storage solutions. I made a special sized pallet for my 47" snow blower and I also use the same one to stack the mower decks for the 2320 ansD110 onto for off season storage. I use the loader to set the loaded pallet up on a shelf. I'm going to make a pallet for the loader now after seeing this one. I have both the dirt bucket and a grapple bucket that I set off onto a cart before removing the FEL from the tractor right now. I pick the dirt bucket up inside the grapple bucket which also helps to save space before setting them onto the rolling cart. I set the loader off onto the floor and just slide it around if I need to move for some reason but it would e much easier on a rolling cart for sure. Here's a picture of how I store the palletized mower decks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Blower on Dolly

Another member requested a photo of the blower on the dolly shown in post #7 of this thread. Here goes:

blowerdolly1.jpg

blowerdolly2.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I made a combo blower/fork cart out of some steel i had in the shed. Had to buy a couple pieces of box beam. Castors i had from abandoned project years before.

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

·
Registered
231 Posts
Awesome job! (If I could weld I would try it):bigthumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts