Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone commented "$50,000 worth of equipment to grow $50 worth of sweet corn". Probably a pretty accurate statement.

However, it is hard to place a value on how much fun we have with the sweet corn!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Loved the video, but hate all the equipment! You make me want to spend money, and we all know how that works out with the finance committee!!!:laugh: I would love to get one of those planters or make one if I could. Keep the good work on the videos, I am always waiting for a new one!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Your point? :unknown: Isn't that the way it i supposed to be? Jut say'n.... Like the equipment.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tim,

That's a pretty expensive rig, but you're right; How do you place a value on the fun and the quality time you get to spend with your family.

On the other hand, I think there are other one-row planters that probably could be had for much less! We usually plant our corn with a Farmall 140 and McCormick #184. I've seen folks use an old JD #71 and Cole planters as well. Those are all popular here in NC.

My son and I love your videos! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really enjoyed the video. I am thinking of doing something similar by growing vegetables on my farm to give back to the community. Living in northern Indiana has made it tough to put out any garden at all with such wet conditions.
Yes, we are planning to share with the community as well. Sweet corn is a good way to make friends with the neighbors!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Enjoyed the video and got the bug. I found a JD 70 online for a “reasonable” price. I was able to successfully plant about six rows of sweet corn and three rows of sunflowers. Too much fun!

I got a pretty good stand on both, though I can see the limitations of the plate planters. I’ve picked up a few plates on ebay but some are downright pricey!

Don’t know if we will be able to harvest much. My property is very rural and the deer are nibbling on the corn seedlings already. But, that was the point in planting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts