Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has done a fluid change on the hydrostatic on a SCUT seen plastic chunks in the reservoir where the filter screen goes? I did a fluid change on the hydrostatic in mid june, noticed that my 1026r was struggling a bit going up hill and decided that it would be a good idea to change the fluid. I bought my machine last year august with 295 hrs. My salesmen told me that it came from a friend of his dads and that he took really good care of it. Well I have learned that I have often been lied to before. So at 350 hrs I changed the fluid and filter and pulled the intake screen. When I pulled the screen out a little piece of plastic fell out behind the screen. So I took a flashlight and looked through the hole and saw more. So I dumped some fluid in through the fill port and tipped the machine back and forth amd cleaned out as much of the plastic as I could. I than the next day went to the jd dealer and talked to a serviceman and he assured me that there were no plastic pieces inside the hydrostatic. He said that it sounds like the filter screen did its job and that they must have been in there from the factory. Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
This is common. It is the bits of sealant that squeezed out when the cases were assembled. I wouldn't call it plastic, more like silicone.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Mine had some there also. At least they didn’t tell you the tractor was driven to church on Sunday’s by a little old lady.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Me too, had a lot of silicone in my 2019 2025r.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
As others have said, its the RTV case sealant which is applied to seal the rear case panels when assembled. The 1026r was known to have this issue as were the 1025r's until about 2018, and the amount of RTV applied has been reduced and reduced to eliminate this excess, which squeezes out of the case and then eventually breaks off and ends up in the lower reservoir. I have been inside of these cases and rebuilt a number of the Tuff Torq and other assemblies and frankly, I can't recall any internal plastic parts, at all.

Also, just because you found this RTV sealant in the case, doesn't mean the tractor wasn't serviced as you were told. Until the excess sealant breaks off from the amount pressed out between the case and panel, it will remain hooked to the material and remain in the case. The point is, don't assume your tractor's rear assembly wasn't serviced just because you found the RTV in there with your service. It's common to find some of this for as long as it takes to break it off. And a machine which is 8+ years old and has such low hours could very well still be shedding some of this excess RTV.

While you made an extra effort to get out the material you could see, don't think you won't find another piece at your next service. Some owners have pulled out enough of this RTV material to fill a 6oz cup and some of the pieces have been several inches long. There are plenty of threads here on GTT with photos showing what owners have found in their tractors service.

It also should be mentioned so as to not cause confusion, Deere uses gaskets in the rear case and other assemblies where there are hydraulic control valves and items which would be plugged by these pieces of sealant. The RTV is used in the sump area of the case where the fluid has to pass through the screen in order to be drawn through the filter and pumped into rest of the tractors system. I can't recall there ever being an incident where any of the hydraulic system on these machines didn't work or was hampered by a piece of the RTV, etc. The sealant pieces stay in the sump area and don't risk impairing the other parts of the machine.

The magnet is an important part of the filtering process and often, the magnets are often broken when removed. Make sure to clean your screen's magnet and if its damaged or broken, you might want to replace it with a new one from Deere.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You mean like this? I have a dye in my hydraulic fluid hence the red color.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts