Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Does anyone know what the best glue to use on the plastic guards and chute to fix cracks ?
Plastics are difficult to repair. Most of the difficulty comes with properly identifying the plastic material itself. Having said that, I have had good results bonding some heavy duty drainage half pipe with a product called Professional Welder. It is a two part epoxy. The label list a bunch of stuff (Materials) its good for. You should be able to find it in some of the Walmart's & auto stores near the JB Weld. If not you can find it on Amazon & I think you can get it from the company direct. I got a deal on several packages on line, but can't recall if I got it on Amazon or the manufacturer. Also, I have had situations where I was able to create a lap joint in the broken part & then I used pop rivets to make the repair. If your not concerned about appearance, the rivets make the best repair & are the longest lasting in my opinion. Good luck with.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
For a few "un-glueable" repairs I've made I used pop rivets. I usually craft a "patch" out of sheet metal or a section of plastic cat litter pail. Sometimes a patch on both sides is wise for high vibration locations. Use plenty of 1/8" or 5/16" rivets long enough to accept a rivet washer on each side of the rivet.

Hey, chemists, it's the 21st Century, can't somebody come up with a "do-all" glue for these miracle plastics that doesn't require an arm and leg to purchase like those "molecular" glue kits? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
A plastic welder is the best way.
If its ABS, go get some ABS cement from the Big Box store near the plumbing cement. It works well, because its basically ABS plastic dissolved in Acetone.
Ive done this before on parts and it works pretty well if you give it time to cure and use enough of it.

What I generally do when Im not concerned about looks is to take an old soldering iron and "weld" it the cheap way.
You can buy sheets of ABS at most hobby stores pretty darn cheap. Use small chunks scraped off with a knife as filler.

The rivet method above works well too, and is less likely to have issues down the road because the break cant really break again like it can with the other fixes.
You could also do a combination of a few methods.

They do make plastic glues, but there are too many types for one to cover them all.
A company I used to work for supplied different adhesives to a large manufacturer. They had, if I recall, 4 different types of polymers they used to bond. We supplied 4 different adhesives for them. That stuff was so strong, on the right material, that if it were stressed, it would break somewhere other than the repaired area. Most of it was made by Loctite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts