Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
mine was cracked when i bought mine years ago .....new replacements on ebay i think are running about $200.......the plastic repairs i have seen are not pretty and usually involve some form of "stitching" drilling holes on both sides of the crack and using zip ties and glue........or a backer plate with glue and screws ....they seem to work but not pretty at all ..

i went the Ebay route myself about 10yrs ago on mine and its still in great shape, i think thats the great thing about plastic hoods being cheap to replace and no painting required.........same hood was used on 4500-4700........i also messed around with the take-off hood and a plastic welder with poor results also

maybe someone else will have a sure fire pretty fix

·
Registered
243 Posts
I watched YouTube videos...looks so easy (445 hood with 6 inch crack, still straight, just a hairline crack). After a few hours with a heat gun and hardware cloth, I now have a 445 hood which is stronger than original; however, it is not straight and flat and looks ugly.

At least it is concave (1/4 inch or so) so I can use body filler and paint...rephrase, my son when he is home from college...he is a better mechanic than I... Hind sight is 20/20 and I should have left well enough alone or gone the Ebay route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.