Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to pull the plastic pulley covers off of my 53hc deck seems all they are good for is collecting large amounts of grass and they prevent you from cleaning it out ?? Any one have a better idea ?? Thanks :greentractorride::greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
Nope! Yank 'em! Never look back!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,693 Posts
I remove the covers(it is a shield) when new. When I sell the mower, I install the covers. Makes for a better impression to the buyer.

As a side note, I don't let anyone around the mower while it's in operation. A removed shield is a liability on the person who removed it.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Removed the covers on my 54" deck after the first season. They were packed full of junk. However I didn't choose to leave them off. Mostly because grass comes out of the mounting holes when cutting with the covers removed.
When I service my deck I just remove the covers to clean under them. It's only one bolt each to get them off.
My covers have a little slit cut into them on each side. They came this way from the factory. I just use the leaf blower on them between cleanings. I assume that's what the slits are for.

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
Removed the covers on my 54" deck after the first season. They were packed full of junk. However I didn't choose to leave them off. Mostly because grass comes out of the mounting holes when cutting with the covers removed.
Same here. Only I bought some yellow Gorilla tape and put some small squares over the mounting holes to prevent grass from coming out. The tape lasts forever and the yellow blends in so well you can't even see it unless you look carefully.

My covers have a little slit cut into them on each side. They came this way from the factory. I just use the leaf blower on them between cleanings. I assume that's what the slits are for.
Mine have the same slits and I too would hit them with the leaf blower after every mower session but they would still eventually build up with junk. I finally decided to stop the madness and removed them for good (along with the hose wash port). Now the spindles stay perfectly clean. Actually, I think the slots are an attempt at cooling because those pulleys get VERY hot while you are mowing.

The newer decks now have spring loaded hinges on the covers so it's much easier to lift them up to clean under them.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Same here. Only I bought some yellow Gorilla tape and put some small squares over the mounting holes to prevent grass from coming out. The tape lasts forever and the yellow blends in so well you can't even see it unless you look carefully.

Mine have the same slits and I too would hit them with the leaf blower after every mower session but they would still eventually build up with junk. I finally decided to stop the madness and removed them for good (along with the hose wash port). Now the spindles stay perfectly clean. Actually, I think the slots are an attempt at cooling because those pulleys get VERY hot while you are mowing.

The newer decks now have spring loaded hinges on the covers so it's much easier to lift them up to clean under them.
Just pulled mine about 10 hours ago. One side had a little bit but the other side was clean. Was amazed myself because I didn't do it before start of the season. I think chopping fall debris is the biggest culprit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
X320 with 48 deck. I removed the guards today and left the collected grass in place. Cut the little openings larger today and reinstalled. Worked good on the non discharge side, not so much on the discharge side. Church mower so I do not disable anything due to other operators and liability concerns. The "openings" on the 7 Iron deck on my X740 are large enough to remove any collected debris after mowing. The 50" decks for the 318 and 285 don't have the shields installed.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I pulled mine off of my deck (LA135) this spring. The belt kept falling off the pulleys, so I had to put them on. The covers seem to keep the belt aligned.
Yes, I checked the tension but the belt is still wicked loose. Pretty sure it is the original belt, so maybe it is just all stretch out.

Long story short, I wanted to pull mine off, but had to put them back on.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I pulled mine off of my deck (LA135) this spring. The belt kept falling off the pulleys, so I had to put them on. The covers seem to keep the belt aligned.
Yes, I checked the tension but the belt is still wicked loose. Pretty sure it is the original belt, so maybe it is just all stretch out.

Long story short, I wanted to pull mine off, but had to put them back on.
Get a new deck drive belt and you should be good to go. Never had problems with the 42" on my 2005 L108. After a bunch of years the factory spindles were shot. When I went to replace them all the blade brake pads and linkage was worn out. So it all mysteriously fell off of the deck. lol Along with the plastic covers. Even without the covers it never had a problem throwing the belt. However I did put on a new belt at the same time. I also had the manual PTO cable as tight as it would go.

·
Premium Member
7,576 Posts
I plan to pull the covers on my deck. :flag_of_truce::nunu:

I want to find some plastic plugs for the bolt holes :dunno: like used by Ziebart to plug the holes they drill when rustproofing.

I just need to get to it :flag_of_truce::hide: and measure the holes. I also want to plug the ones for the mulching baffles attachment

·
Registered
927 Posts
Get a new deck drive belt and you should be good to go. Never had problems with the 42" on my 2005 L108. After a bunch of years the factory spindles were shot. When I went to replace them all the blade brake pads and linkage was worn out. So it all mysteriously fell off of the deck. lol Along with the plastic covers. Even without the covers it never had a problem throwing the belt. However I did put on a new belt at the same time. I also had the manual PTO cable as tight as it would go.
Yeah, I plan to replace the belt in the spring, assuming I can get through the rest of this season with it. The PTO cable is as tight as it can get, that was the first thing I checked.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,216 Posts
I plan to pull the covers on my deck. :flag_of_truce::nunu:

I want to find some plastic plugs for the bolt holes :dunno: like used by Ziebart to plug the holes they drill when rustproofing.

I just need to get to it :flag_of_truce::hide: and measure the holes. I also want to plug the ones for the mulching baffles attachment
Took my covers off as I did the water hose thing. Yah grass can come through but on mine it just plugs the hole with grass and won't come out of the hole till you clean it out. Grass plug is cheap. Doesn't get cheaper then free. :hide: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,576 Posts
Took my covers off as I did the water hose thing. Yah grass can come through but on mine it just plugs the hole with grass and won't come out of the hole till you clean it out. Grass plug is cheap. Doesn't get cheaper then free. :hide: :laugh:
I'll have to try that, until I can find some plugs. I was thinking Ziebart used yellow plugs! No Ziebarts near me to find out.

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
Here are some photos of my ultra low-tech solution using yellow Gorilla tape. This is now two seasons old.

IMG_2017.jpg IMG_2019.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts