Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

One of the driveways I clear is asphalt and not in the best of shape. The metal scaper bar will rub in some parts. I'd rather not raise the blower as that leaves more snow on the driveway. Anybody know of a replacement that's either plastic or hard rubber? I did read of someone here that put a pvc pipe over the metal bar but I'd worry that could break loose, jam the auger causing a broken shear bolt.

Thanks,
Ilan

P.S. I really like the new forum software!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi,

One of the driveways I clear is asphalt and not in the best of shape. The metal scaper bar will rub in some parts. I'd rather not raise the blower as that leaves more snow on the driveway. Anybody know of a replacement that's either plastic or hard rubber? I did read of someone here that put a pvc pipe over the metal bar but I'd worry that could break loose, jam the auger causing a broken shear bolt.

Thanks,
Ilan

P.S. I really like the new forum software!
I would go on the hunt for the thickest 2-ply conveyor belt material you can find. The one on my 6-foot Frontier snow pusher is about 1/2 inch thick and works well. You may not need one that's that robust. You'll probably need to do some drilling, may also need to fabricate a backing plate.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I sandwiched baler belt between two scraper bars. The second scraper bar is required to keep the belt from folding over on itself. It works fairly well and it also provides some "give" when coming into contact with a change in surface height, such as some slab heaving at an expansion joint. See this thread I authored for more info.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Thinking out loud......or in writing...,

I think I would attempt to wrap a piece of the rubber, like the baler belt I use for the plow top flap, around the front edge of the blower, obviously keeping it out of the augers reach, etc.

Or, You could even mount a "thickness" of rubber, somewhat like the squeegee I make for my plow edge, maybe 1/2" thick on the very bottom of the blower leading edge, but if its blunt on the front, catching edges of sections sticking up would likely break it loose over time. That is why I like the idea of wrapping it from the bottom over the front edge of the actual blower, not necessarily the scraper bar on the bottom.

You also don't want to screw up the blower function / effeciency for good surfaces, trying to accomodate the one bad / troublesome surfaced driveway.

Or, go with a rubber squeegee edge on a plow and swap out for the bad driveway, even though that would likely be more trouble than its worth.

Depending upon the driveways size, maybe carry a back pack blower on the rear of your tractor (on the carry all or even on the rear ballast) to simply go back and blow the snow out of the areas with the uneven pavement when you end up raising the blower due to the pavement.

One driveway I plow has a horrible surface, it's concrete and sections are broken, sunken 1", raised up over 1" and so on. The rubber edge on the plow does a good job, but you really need to make sure the plow can trip forward because it will...........Otherwise, if something catches on the leading edge, it can become a violent stop and that could happen with the blower as well if the edges are bad enough.

Whatever you try or come up with, keep us posted on your attempts as I am sure others would find your trial and error in trying to find a solution, helpful dealing with their difficult surfaces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was thinking about trying a poly cutting edge from a Fisher plow. They're about $62. for a 48" and can be cut/angled on a table saw. We used to trim them on a table saw when they would wear uneven and get a few more winters out of them.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
With a snowblower I’d just let it rub on the high spots.

I did see another forum where a member made quick adjust skid shoes for a partially paved driveway.

I wouldn’t use any rubber under any circumstances. After burning off a blue tarp, a plastic sled and also a welcome mat that got wedged into snowblowers I have no desire to repeat those issues.

Poly might work, but it would take up valuable clearance space that could cause other issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts