Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I teamed up with a local Cat dealer who needed a place to demonstrate some of their land clearing equipment. As it happened, I had an area that needed clearing. It was a couple of fun days as they brought in skid steers with various mulchers & heavy duty mowers, excavators with mulching heads and a D3 with a mulcher. I let the Cat guys and their customers play on Friday. When they were leaving the Cat rep asked if I had a key. "Nope" so he tossed me one. They left the equipment until tomorrow so yesterday was play day.

20170407_104325.jpg 20170407_104940.jpg

20170407_104933.jpg

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As they say. . .

Awesome - like a tot in a sandbox!
The only difference between men and boys is the price of the toys. . .

In this case, the toys go home tomorrow but it was fun for a day. I actually only ran an excavator with mulching head and a skid steer with a mulcher. The excavator was cool but not great for just clearing. It was very nice for reaching over a berm and clearing on the other side. It would jam if too much loose material got sucked in. The skid steer and dozer mulchers were much faster and not as much chance to jam them as long as you kept an eye on the hydro pressure gauge.

I did try to take some limbs down with the excavator. It worked ok but I needed a bigger excavator with more reach. I could get high enough but to then grind the limb was tricky because it meant stuff was dropping close to the cab. Since it wasn't my excavator, I didn't want to put any scratches or dents. A big excavator with a 35-40' reach would be really nice. Of course most of the people I know just use that size to break the limbs and don't worry about splintering a limb or two.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
While I was at my farm yesterday I noticed several places where I could have used all of that equipment. I am sure you had a good time:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Some guys have all the luck. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Soooooooo!!!! Jealous. Lucky you. Got a lot of work done for free then playtime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts