Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I'm waiting for my tractor to be delivered, I'm reading as much as I can about safe use of various implements. One common task that seems to generate some controversy is pulling stumps or other resistant loads. Chain vs straps, attachment points, size of chain, how to hook the chain, pull from front vs rear, etc.

Is there a "best practices" technique for pulling a stump that minimizes risk to the tractor and operator? I will have a 3046R, 320R loader, 4 in 1 bucket (Ken says bolt on hooks won't be a good option), Artillian fork frame with 2" receiver shackle.

Any Stump Pulling for Dummies suggestions are welcome. I won't be a bit offended with basic information.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
629 Posts
"Oversize" whatever chains or cables you're using to pull, plus any connections between them. If you break one, it may recoil into the back of your head. Wrap around the stump twice for the same reason, to avoid slipping off the top when it tilts toward the tractor.

If you know you're going to pull the stump, cut the tree high enough to leave a "lever arm" to help break the roots loose.

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
I'd suggest using the chain (or strap. I prefer a chain though) as little as possible.

I use a subsoiler and go around the stump to break up any roots that spread outs sideways. Then I use my forks to pry the root ball up. I only attach the chain to break that final tap root (if need be!) and drag the stump out of the hole.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I prefer a chain to the drawbar. Any higher attachment point and the pulling will cause the front tires to loos weight and thus traction. I also only pull when i have my ballast box attached and the chain pretty short. So if it breaks/slips it will hit the box, not me or the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd suggest using the chain (or strap. I prefer a chain though) as little as possible.

I use a subsoiler and go around the stump to break up any roots that spread outs sideways. Then I use my forks to pry the root ball up. I only attach the chain to break that final tap root (if need be!) and drag the stump out of the hole.
This, too. If you think you're going to hook a CUT up to a stump that you can't wiggle by hand, you're biting off more than you can chew in most soil types. I usually do like above, maybe pulling a little to watch where the roots are then slacking the chain and digging/chopping the roots with an axe. It's not a lot of fun.

·
Registered
22,065 Posts
Here is a good example (recently posted in the SCUT thread) of how NOT to do it.

First - look how high the chain is hooked to the tractor. Any resistance from the stump and you are going over backwards. This is why you want to hook as low as possible. The drawbar is designed for this.

And talking about the possibility of rolling over - take notice of the ROPS....

61604A3C-E22A-40FD-AC41-C965C093DD74.jpeg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yikes!! They should talk to my father in law who flipped his 8N pulling a tree out. It landed on top of him and he broke his back. Now he has back issues for the rest of his life.

Here is a good example (recently posted in the SCUT thread) of how NOT to do it.

First - look how high the chain is hooked to the tractor. Any resistance from the stump and you are going over backwards. This is why you want to hook as low as possible. The drawbar is designed for this.

And talking about the possibility of rolling over - take notice of the ROPS....

View attachment 678310

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
+100

I prefer a chain to the drawbar. Any higher attachment point and the pulling will cause the front tires to loos weight and thus traction. I also only pull when i have my ballast box attached and the chain pretty short. So if it breaks/slips it will hit the box, not me or the tractor.
+100

Might not hurt to soak the stump with water off and on for a couple of days as well. Good Luck

·
Registered
629 Posts
Buy/Rent a full size backhoe or excavator. Dig em out, don't pull em.
Since we're discussing alternatives...

When I was a kid, we used dynamite (actually Monobel) to blast out the stumps -- quick, effective, and fun, if you're not near any houses. I don't know how hard it is to puchase explosives nowadays. Is that still a viable option?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Buy/Rent a full size backhoe or excavator. Dig em out, don't pull em.
I wanted to take out a maple that my 10,000 pound IH 584 could not budge,,

I chained the stump to a wood splitter,, then chained the wood splitter to a bigger tree,,

the little wood splitter embarrassed my 584 IH,, and took out the stump,,

the wood splitter generates the pull force of at least twenty 3 Series tractors hooked together,,,

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perhaps I gave the wrong impression of my intensions. This isn't a particular task I have in mind with a bunch of stumps. It would be the occasional small one that's in the way. Anything bigger than about 3" in soft soil, I'd hire a grinder.

I guess I'm a little spoked by some of the "you're going to get killed" articles I've been reading. I'm guessing some combination of a stump too big and a chain too small were involved.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Since we're discussing alternatives...

When I was a kid, we used dynamite (actually Monobel) to blast out the stumps -- quick, effective, and fun, if you're not near any houses. I don't know how hard it is to puchase explosives nowadays. Is that still a viable option?
Black powder is readily available,, and it is HIGHLY explosive,, surely black powder can remove a stump,,

Who is gonna demonstrate it for us?? :dunno:

:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Black powder is readily available,, and it is HIGHLY explosive,, surely black powder can remove a stump,,

Who is gonna demonstrate it for us?? :dunno:

:flag_of_truce:
Here you go,,,

·
Registered
609 Posts
Perhaps I gave the wrong impression of my intensions. This isn't a particular task I have in mind with a bunch of stumps. It would be the occasional small one that's in the way. Anything bigger than about 3" in soft soil, I'd hire a grinder.

I guess I'm a little spoked by some of the "you're going to get killed" articles I've been reading. I'm guessing some combination of a stump too big and a chain too small were involved.
Ive dug and pulled out a 12" with my 2038r without a backhoe. Just needs a bit of time and fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,494 Posts
With time and patience, you can do just about anything with our tractors!:good2:

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
High attachment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
If you are lucky, you lose traction. With an attachment point above the rear axle, including a 3PH raised up, if you are unlucky the rear wheels don't lose traction and the tractor flips over backwards. That's very, very bad news but happens all too often.

Hook low, pull slow. If a stump won't move in one direction, rechain and try 90 degrees from the original pull. If it's not getting looser, cut some roots.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 45 Posts