Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

Premium Member
馃檹 馃檹 馃檹 to his family, we never know , when..

Registered
So tough to not be confident and comfortable around these things. We all enjoy operating and we just go through the paces.

Personally I try to slow myself down and just review if nothing else mentally when working. Couple weeks back I performed the "mental insurance" check on my trailer before leaving. Turns out when I hooked up and moved it to load, I never returned to lock the coupler.

Me personally, I just rush. Try to get done. Try to hurry up. I know my wife would be a lot happier if it takes me 2 days to do a job as opposed to not being there on day 2.

Be aware my friends. Be careful in movements. Second guess decisions....I'll never forget the time I almost lazily stepped over a running pto when grinding feed with a jd 4430 at full throttle. I stopped and mentally lectured myself and made the long walk around the tractor.

Registered

Registered

Registered
2020 1025R
Like any other piece of heavy machinery, you need to have your wits about you when you're using it. Hard to imagine how someone could be THAT stupid to (a) drive around with a kid on a tractor fender and (b) do anything on a tractor when your inebriated. Prison is going to be the easy part of his life sentence. What a shame.

Best,

Reactions: Oscar Leroy

Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
Looked like the tractor was pulling a tiller in the video. Possibly jambed and he was trying to free it up without turning off the PTO? Not a pretty way to go...

Premium Member
I had a friend from school that I saw one morning and he mentioned he was going home and mow. He rolled his 850 over on him in a ditch that he had mowed for 20 years and he was gone. I always stressed safety to my sons while they were doing things around the house.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looked like the tractor was pulling a tiller in the video. Possibly jambed and he was trying to free it up without turning off the PTO? Not a pretty way to go...
A news update a few minutes ago on a local TV station said the 76 YO operator was ejected from the tractor and dragged a ways under a piece of mowing equipment. I'm not sure about the equipment though. Maybe it's a flail mower but looks more like a tiller to me. Whatever it was they said it took an hour to extricate him.
It was extremely hot here yesterday. ( I live about 20 miles from the scene ) He may have had a stroke or a heart attack.

Registered
2021 1025R, 2016 x580
Sad indeed.

We should all use this as a reminder that operating a tractor is a task that requires your full-time attention. No matter how many times you have done the same task, things do change and can catch you by surprise. Thaw/freeze cycles can introduce rocks in areas you have mowed before. Animals can cause rocks to roll in to your mowing area (trashed all 3 spindles on a Craftsman when I hit a big rock in overgrown grass in the septic field, field is on a slope, must have rolled in). Animals can dig burrows that may cause your tractor to tip. Point is, that no matter how many times you have done it before, you need to pay attention.

Also, without knowing the year and type of tractor this person was using, I am not going to judge or speculate what may have happened, but I will make this general statement...

Make sure all of your safety systems are working as designed and are used. My 1025R has a seat belt and interlocks that will kill the engine if I leave the seat without doing certain things. If I fall off my tractor (I have been using the seatbelt, so doubtful), it should stop almost immediately, limiting any potential injury. I'm sure there are also PTO interlocks, but haven't read up on them yet cause I don't currently own any PTO driven implements.

Just be careful out there, I enjoy reading all the stories and useful banter from you folks.

Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
The tractor in the video was quite old and likely had no safety features like today's machines.

Registered

Registered
...operating a tractor is a task that requires your full-time attention. No matter how many times you have done the same task, things do change and can catch you by surprise. Thaw/freeze cycles can introduce rocks in areas you have mowed before. Animals can cause rocks to roll in to your mowing area (trashed all 3 spindles on a Craftsman when I hit a big rock in overgrown grass in the septic field, field is on a slope, must have rolled in). Animals can dig burrows that may cause your tractor to tip. Point is, that no matter how many times you have done it before, you need to pay attention...
this is exactly why I don鈥檛 use headphones to listen to music when operating the tractor. it鈥檚 an unnecessary distraction.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

Registered
Welp, after reading these posts, I have 2 things to say:
1. Accidents don't just happen, they are caused.
As an industrial Supervisor for 30 years, I had to respond to all lost times accidents. I never once responded that, 'the gears reached out and grabbed the employee,' but I did say, 'employee failed to button the sleeves on his shirt and became entangled in the gear mesh.' There were MANY more similar incidents/accidents where an employee was hurt due to his own negligence.
2. Safety devices have 2 purposes: to protect stupid people and to protect the manufacturer from stupid people's actions.
I have 3 L&G tractors and have mowed since '82. My seat switches have been bypassed and my belt guards on the deck have been removed. I'm guessing I've gotten off of the tractors (often with bare feet!) with engine and deck running WOT 1000 times (if my math is close!) and I still have 10 fingers AND 10 toes. Now, if I did get hurt, I sure as He** wouldn't sue JD because of ME being STUPID! It's pretty simple to me, watch were you place you feet! When I was 10 years old I helped my Uncle cut wood with his Model L and cord wood saw. PTO was live/turned when the engine ran and NO shield, belt was approx. 6-8 feet long, UNguarded, blade was 36+/-" with no guard (TOTALLY rusted out and removed!). The belt never grabbed me and pulled me in, the blade never jumped out an cut my fingers/arm.

Machines are safe, PERIOD. Operators are another story. Think BEFORE you do...and if you can't think, don't do! Bob

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welp, after reading these posts, I have 2 things to say:
1. Accidents don't just happen, they are caused.
As an industrial Supervisor for 30 years, I had to respond to all lost times accidents. I never once responded that, 'the gears reached out and grabbed the employee,' but I did say, 'employee failed to button the sleeves on his shirt and became entangled in the gear mesh.' There were MANY more similar incidents/accidents where an employee was hurt due to his own negligence.
2. Safety devices have 2 purposes: to protect stupid people and to prevent the manufacturer from stupid people's actions.
I have 3 L&G tractors and have mowed since '82. My seat switches have been bypassed and my belt guards on the deck have been removed. I'm guessing I've gotten off of the tractors (often with bare feet!) with engine and deck running WOT 1000 times (if my math is close!) and I still have 10 fingers AND 10 toes. Now, if I did get hurt, I sure as He** wouldn't sue JD because of ME being STUPID! It's pretty simple to me, watch were you place you feet! When I was 10 years old I helped my Uncle cut wood with his Model L and cord wood saw. PTO was live/turned when the engine ran and NO shield, belt was approx. 6-8 feet long, UNguarded, blade was 36+/-" with no guard (TOTALLY rusted out and removed!). The belt never grabbed me and pulled me in, the blade never jumped out an cut my fingers/arm.

Machines are safe, PERIOD. Operators are another story. Think BEFORE you do...and if you can't think, don't do! Bob
Almost laughable. Almost.

Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
Reactions: raco232
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.